• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Beginner's Guide to Carry

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
I stumbled on this guide on another forum.

It's one person's opinion, but it appears that he runs (or works at) a private security firm in a more gun-friendly state and claims to have run many tests on guns, ammo, holsters.

Worth a read IMNSHO.

http://media.concealedcarryforum.com/carryguide.pdf

Seems pretty solid. The caliber, ammo, and gun selection sections are good. The gun selection section could use more fleshing out. I agree that the compact glocks and M&Ps are excellent choices, but there are many more good options. I think the holster section sucks, as he gives a 'one true choice' for each holster type and that's it. I don't buy the sorry, you should wait 6 months for your VM2 if you want to carry IWB. Sure it's a great holster, but there are many other great holsters out there. He doesn't even mention the existence of Kydex.

Pretty good, i thought anyway but like the person above stated some of the sections don't really offer much. For one the IWB holster section. I also thought the ammo section was very weak. He never really offered a good round with the exception of the Federal HST which he states is only available to the feds, military, or private security.

Last edited:
Pretty good, i thought anyway but like the person above stated some of the sections don't really offer much. For one the IWB holster section. I also thought the ammo section was very weak. He never really offered a good round with the exception of the Federal HST which he states is only available to the feds, military, or private security.

HST isn't that hard to find. I carry the 124gr in my 9mms and 230s in my 1911. I've seen it in several MA gun shops. Another big advantage he doesn't mention is that HST is relatively cheap. It's about the same price for 50 round boxes of HST as for 20 round boxes of other defense loads.

Last edited:
seems like he suggests we all live paranoid and in fear.

for example, always be armed (I agree), without exeption (not always possible). I can't carry to work. I'd love to break this rule, but I can't take the chance of losing my job. I know someone will chime in with "concealed means concealed" and "I'd rather take a chance with my job than my life...". That rationalization might work for some, but I have bills to pay.

He says to avoid crowds because bad things happen in crowds and organized events often prohibit weapons. Cool, so I'll follow your advice and become a total agoraphobic.

Avoid walking while talking on cell phone.... are you serious, guy?

Stay sober. I agree with all but the prescription drug part. If taken as prescribed you'll be fine (ok maybe with the exception of strong opiates/narcotic drugs)

I could continue.

He makes a lot of good points and good advice but no wonder anti's think we're all a bunch of paranoid morons/nutjobs when they read things like this. Being prepared and having some training/practice is paramount, but I can't help but want to totally dissociate myselft with guys like this.

Secure your perimeter while on the couch? Seriously guy get a f#cking life!

Last edited:
I certainly don't agree with everything he wrote, but there are some nuggets in there.

Holsters are a big can of worms! What works for one may not work for another, climate matters a lot (both geophysical and political), Kydex v. Leather, custom v. off the shelf, cheap v. expensive, etc.

The biggest value of his write-up on ammo is wrt the different calibers, rather than just a single model recommendation that he advocates.

There are places (even in MA) where home invasions/car jackings are a normal occurrence . . . but there are also many places in New England where they are almost non-existent. If you live in areas where this is a common occurrence, you must have a higher alertness when home/in your car than in other areas. However, never lose sight of the fact that even one occurrence (if it involves you/your family) is one too many!

He never addresses OC or any other type of defensive instrument.

But he does get you thinking about a few things anyway, and that is a good thing.

Bearing in mind that the author warned you that not everyone would (or should) agree with everything he wrote, I thought it a useful stimulus piece.

Now, I suspect no one here will agree with me on this, but for my money the part that was overstated involved terminal ballistics, a subject that I believe receives excessive scrutiny in the personal defense realm. How a aggressor target responds to being shot by a defensive shooter depends on such a wide variety of factors that I suspect that if you could simulate the complete array of possibilities and probability, by caliber, you'd find such overlap that distinguishing between the major rounds would be difficult.

For me, I have no doubt that if you gave me (or I took for myself, pounding heart notwithstanding) the time to place my first shot as I should, I could drop anyone not wearing body armor with one shot from a 2-inch .38 loaded with a wadcutter and 2.7 grains of Bullseye.

I have always believed that the signifcance of caliber has less to do with what happens with a well placed shot as it does with what happens with a poorly placed shot. That is to say, the major advantage of a hand cannon is that you don't have to be a marksman (most of the time). This is not an invalid consideration, especially given the difference between range conditions and assault conditions, but it is a consideration easily overstated.

Now I duck.

Edit for afterthought:

There is another consideration that I think our author of the moment entirely overlooked. As do most folks who purport to tutor in the field of self-defense.

We are all trained to believe that deadly force may be used in self-defense only in a case of abject necessity. This, we are led to believe, means that the aggressor must be allowed to advance his aggression to a point where his intentions are so irrefutable that no jury will hold us culpable for interceding.

However, real experts in combat will tell you that this is the wrong way to fight. Once you have decided that the dude (or group of dudes) approaching you is intent on a result that you won't like, the best defense is to take the offense. This means drawing the line far earlier in the progression than the worry-warts counsel, and once that line is crossed, opening fire. The upside is that you have to time for good first shot placement, since, pardon the expression, at this point you are calling the shots. The downside is that you may be criticized afterward, possibly with some consequences. The upside is that you'll be around to hear the criticism.

There ain't no simple answer.

Last edited:
seems like he suggests we all live paranoid and in fear.

for example, always be armed (I agree), without exeption (not always possible). I can't carry to work. I'd love to break this rule, but I can't take the chance of losing my job. I know someone will chime in with "concealed means concealed" and "I'd rather take a chance with my job than my life...". That rationalization might work for some, but I have bills to pay.

He says to avoid crowds because bad things happen in crowds and organized events often prohibit weapons. Cool, so I'll follow your advice and become a total agoraphobic.

Avoid walking while talking on cell phone.... are you serious, guy?

Stay sober. I agree with all but the prescription drug part. If taken as prescribed you'll be fine (ok maybe with the exception of strong opiates/narcotic drugs)

I could continue.

He makes a lot of good points and good advice but no wonder anti's think we're all a bunch of paranoid morons/nutjobs when they read things like this. Being prepared and having some training/practice is paramount, but I can't help but want to totally dissociate myselft with guys like this.

Secure your perimeter while on the couch? Seriously guy get a f#cking life!

I agree. Some good info in there but he needs to move to an area with less crackheads.

He makes a lot of good points and good advice but no wonder anti's think we're all a bunch of paranoid morons/nutjobs when they read things like this.

That's how I felt when watching Defense TV on OLN. Some good advice, but I use to roll my eyes at a lot of it too.

Back
Top Bottom