Bass Pro wouldn't sell me a gun today UPDATE Post 56

For Christmas the wife got me a couple hundred dollars in gift cards to bass pro shops. She knew I wanted a shotgun but she doesn't have a LTC/FID so she got me gift cards. Bass Pro is not my first choice in place to buy a gun but I had gift cards.

I got there and was looking at a few different ones. I finally decided that I was gonna get the Rem 870 combo. The guy working there had seen my LTC so he gave me the laptop to fill out their specific background check form, and he went out back to grab one. He came back while I was still filling out the online form and asked to have my LTC again for other paperwork.

I gave it to him and he asked if that was my current address. I said that I had recently moved but had sent all of the paperwork to the correct places and that it should be updated in the system. He was obviously a new employee because he didnt know what to do. He asked someone else and they asked for my drivers license. I have yet to put a change of address label on my drivers license because the state doesn't send you one anymore.

They then asked if the state sent me a new car registration when I changed my address. I was driving my wife's car but no they don't send you a new registration. One of then then suggested that I renew my licence early. For me that would be 3 years early. I told them that I had never been asked for another form of ID when buying a gun because everything should come up when they run the paperwork. They then told me that I would need to get a new drivers license or that I would need to bring in a copy of my car registration with the updated address on it. Anyone else have to deal with this after a change of address or is it just at Bass Pro? After all that I asked if I could still buy ammo and mags and they said no problem.

I wrote a nasty email to the store manager and requested a solution or the option to get cash for the gift cards and I will take my money to a store that wants to make a sale.

FYI they had between 75 and 100 525 round packs of 22LR for $22. They had some 556 and 223 but it looked expensive. Other than that they has 45 for $20 for a 50 round box and 40 for $18 for a 50 round box.

I will update this if they ever get back to me with a resolution.

Last edited:
WTF the mother load of 22lr. Was there a limit?

They had a limit of i think 5 boxes on all ammo. Could be wrong but I did see a sign for a limit.

- - - Updated - - -

I know of no state that will let you buy if your address is not correct on your ID.

When you change your address they do not send you a new LTC.

I moved to my new house in June of 2012. In early DEC, i purchased a M&P-15 lower at four seasons in woburn. My license still has my old address on it, and no sticker on the back with my new. My LTC at the time was for my old address and was within 2 weeks of expiring. The sale went through without a problem. All they did was ask if i moved (i said yes) then they asked if i updated my info with the state. Which of course i had done. Scanned my print and the address matched my new address.

No registration or any other BS. And i think we can all agree that four seasons errors on the side of caution. So i have no idea why bass pro gave you such a problem.

I know of no state that will let you buy if your address is not correct on your ID.

The address on my LTC is still my original one from two residences ago. I've updated with the FRB and local PDs both times. I've never had an issue after 6 firearms purchases at Sig's Pro Shop, Four Seasons, and IDC.

It must be chain store buffoonery.

I had the same experience as others above. My DL and my LTC both have an outdated address, and I have bought in MA without any issue.

Per the instructions on the 4473, the FFL must make sure that the address you (the buyer) put on the 4473 matches what ever .gov issued, photo identification you give them. What is in MIRCS has absolutely nothing to do with the 4473. If your address has changed, put a updated on on a label on your LTC, it's that simple.

I don't blame them for refusing the sale, I would have (and have in he past) done the same thing. It's not worth loosing a FFL over.

I've purchased roughly 5 or 6 guns since I bought my house. Not one time was the difference in actual address and the one on my LTC an issue, as when they run the info, it confirms exactly what I told them.

Then you don't know very much. It's perfectly legal to purchase a firearm in MA if the address on the LTC is not up to date. If it was a problem, then people wouldn't be able to buy a new firearm after moving because you don't get issued a new LTC when you move. As long as the address put on your 4473 is the same one that's in the Massachusetts firearms record bureau database. Oh, but don't worry, if it's not the same, the store can update your FRB record information right from their computer. So yeah, it's a non-starter/not an issue at all.

FYI they had between 75 and 100 525 round packs of 22LR for $22. They had some 556 and 223 but it looked expensive. Other than that they has 45 for $20 for a 50 round box and 40 for $18 for a 50 round box.

Time stamped pic or it didn't happen. Every time - and I mean every time - I've gone to Bass pro the DAY OF a post like this the shelves are always bare...

I just got back from Bass Pro. Only .22 they had was the 50 round boxes for $2.20 each. However, they did have a shelf on an end cap that was confirmed by a worker to be stocked with the 500 round packs, but had sold out sometime between 7 and 7:30 when I was there.

Whoever was working with the OP had no clue what they were doing. When they go into MIRCS the new address would auto-populate the form.

RMV, FRB, etc do NOT send you a new DL, Reg, LTC/FID when you notify of a change of address. There is NO requirement to "renew early" just to satisfy some dumbass clerk. I do recommend however putting a label on your IDs to perhaps avoid the stupidity you ran into.

Real gun shops are more likely to understand what goes on in the real world. I doubt that the big box stores spend the effort to educate their clerks.

Per the instructions on the 4473, the FFL must make sure that the address you (the buyer) put on the 4473 matches what ever .gov issued, photo identification you give them. What is in MIRCS has absolutely nothing to do with the 4473. If your address has changed, put a updated on on a label on your LTC, it's that simple.

I don't blame them for refusing the sale, I would have (and have in he past) done the same thing. It's not worth loosing a FFL over.

I believe the Massachusetts FRB records fall under "another valid government issued document". And pray-tell, where would one put the change of address sticker? Nowhere on my LTC is there a spot for a change of address sticker.

Federal 4473 Requirements
If the picture ID address does not match the 4473 address, then you must obtain
another valid, government-issued document showing the transferee’s residence address. This alternate documentation should be recorded in question 20.b., with issuing authority and type of identification presented.
1. Do not take a copy of the document. Simply write down the document issuing authority and type in 20.b.
2. It must be a government issued document. Non-municipal utility bills and DMV brown change of address cards do not apply. The document should be printed or typed and not handwritten.
3. This is required for any firearm transaction whether long gun, handgun or other firearm.
Common examples are: CA vehicle registration, CA DMV printout, CCW, government utilities, and any printed hunting license documents.
CA DROS Requirements
All handgun DROS must be accompanied by a copy of proof of residency.
• Utility Bill from within the past three months that bears on its face the individual’s name and 4473 address. Utility Bill means a statement of charges for providing service to the individual’s residence by either physical or a telemetric connection to a non-mobile, fixed antenna reception device (satellite cable).
• Residential Lease that bears the individual’s name and 4473 address and is signed and dated.
• Property Deed that bears the individual’s name and 4473 address.
• Current, Government-issued License, Permit, or Registration, other than a CA DL or CA ID (DMV Printout will not work), that has a specified expiration date or period of validity. The document must bear the individual’s name and 4473 address.
1. We must retain a copy of this document.
2. It must be valid and have an expiration date. DOUBLE CHECK THE DATES. No “Over Due Notice” warnings.
3. Make sure you can see the address for the utility provided on the bill.
4. If it is a government issued document, it can apply for both Federal 4473 and CA DROS requirements. (example: CCW, CA Vehicle Registration, Hunting Licenses) If not, then you might need to satisfy both. (Example: a DMV printout would still require a utility bill.)
4473 Legal Alien and Nonimmigrant Alien Requirements
Legal Aliens and Nonimmigrant Aliens are no longer required to have three consecutive months of utility bills.
• Nonimmigrant Aliens must provide a current hunting license or permit.
1. We must retain copies of the hunting license. On the 4473, simply write down the hunting license state of issuance and expiration date in 20.c.

hell, my wife purchased her SR9 at Holliston Firearms no problem, and not only have we moved to a different town since getting our LTCs, we got married and her maiden name in on the LTC...... the msot we got was a joke from Mark because the FBI still had her with the maiden name, so it was "congratulations on you new firearm and recent divorce"

Dick's in Millbury wouldn't sell me a Savage .22 rifle last week because I was with my mother. I mentioned I was buying it so she could use it when we go to the range. She can't handle anything much bigger due to a muscle disease.Something the counter guy seemed to think was cool. After 20 mins,The bald headed dork at the counter weaseled his manager over to tell me that they were refusing to sell the gun to me because I said I was buying it for someone. I stated my arguement that I never said I was BUYING it for her, I said it was a gun for her to use when I bring her to the range. After stating a valid arguement, the A-hole manager said he could refuse a sale for any reason he wanted. I told him to shove it. They sell youth guns that dad's buy for their kids to use.There's no difference.

Not to derail the thread, but does the Commonwealth not send you a new LTC when you change your address? I haven't had this issue come up yet.

Back
Top Bottom