Basic Pistol Course or Not?

Well, the last of my Christmas and birthday monies are in. Based upon this money, and future allowance money (wife and give ourselves money each week as an allowance, to keep ourselves on something of a budget), I think could afford a decent 22 handgun, or do the basic NRA pistol course and then gun rentals until I save up again, with perhaps a new air pistol for shooting in the basement. [I'm not so enamored with my current airgun.]

For the 22 shooting that I'd like to get into, would I really benefit from such a course, or could I get enough out of reading the 'net and the owners manual, in terms of posture, aiming, etc? I basically want to get into plinking, not self defense or hunting. I know such a course is not required for ownership in NH, but I can only imagine that it is recommended.

I figure, I can afford a once/month trip to MFL, although the gun rental might cut that to every other month. I have other hobbies that my allowance has to cover also.

Comments?

Depends on what you want to do, if you eventually wish to CCW and need an NRA pistol course to get it, then take it now (again, do not know the reqs for getting a NH CCW).

If you have no intention of carrying concealed then get the 22LR pistol.

I'd take the course and rent for a while. The more time that you learn, the better your decision will be on purchasing. also, others at the range will let you try their guns and you might even pick up a good deal. Finally, buying a gun requires buying a lot of other stuff: cleaning supplies, lock, safe, case, etc., etc.

Wow. Kudo's to you for even considering such a move! Great stuff!

You should be able to get a basic pistol course for less than $100. If you do it in MA you'll be able to use it to apply for a MA license to carry (which is useful not just for carrying here, but also for possessing a gun in MA - like going to a shoot here in MA, or just not having to worry about crossing the border). So, I'd recommend taking the class and waiting a little bit to get the pistol. There are lots of people here on the board that give the class.

It'll give you a good basis in firearms handling, technique and law. A good class will give you the chance to try a variety of firearms.

Good luck to you. Ask lots of questions, we'll try to answer best we can.

Matt

Good stuff. I guess I'll look into the course, with an eye towards on being able to get the MA LTC, as MA is nearby afterall. Thanks all.

Good stuff. I guess I'll look into the course, with an eye towards on being able to get the MA LTC, as MA is nearby afterall. Thanks all.

I think most of these answers are with the belief that you currently live in MA. I see you live in NH.

First, do you currently own a pistol? Have you ever owned a pistol? What is your familiarity with them?

The reason I ask is to get a feel for your background. If you're familiar with firearms, I'd suggest getting the pistol first, then picking brains at a range while you practice.

If you have no familiarity with them, even though they're simple, they're dangerous. You should take a course.

Most of us love helping new people get into shooting, so perhaps you could scoot to a range with someone who could judge your skill, then guide you better.

I think most of these answers are with the belief that you currently live in MA. I see you live in NH.

First, do you currently own a pistol? Have you ever owned a pistol? What is your familiarity with them?

The reason I ask is to get a feel for your background. If you're familiar with firearms, I'd suggest getting the pistol first, then picking brains at a range while you practice.

If you have no familiarity with them, even though they're simple, they're dangerous. You should take a course.

Most of us love helping new people get into shooting, so perhaps you could scoot to a range with someone who could judge your skill, then guide you better.

I agree with Martlet...holy s%&t

On the Tues before Christmas, I decided what the heck, went to Manchester Firing Line with the intent of seeing if i could hit paper. Zero handgun experience (unless if you count watching movies), but I have handled single shot and semi-auto 22 rifles in the past, and I shoot air rifle in the basement. Been reading up on the 4 rules and whatnot, some stuff on youtube about procedure and posture, but nope, no real firearms background.

I rented a Glock 19 and did 5 round groups, mostly at 10 yards; most of them were 6" groups and 3" low, although occasionally I got some that were tighter and closer. 150 rounds total, no FTE's so I guess no limp wristing, although I suspect I had a lousy grip and was pulling the trigger poorly, given how I never could get (repeatably) within a couple inches of where I was aiming.

The Glock was nice but I suspect I'm not ready for recoil yet.

If it were me, I'd separate the two things. First, an NRA Basic Pistol course is going to be too short and too general to give you much of a start in .22 Bullseye shooting or any other specific discipline. My inclination would be to start with the shortest, least expensive course that would satisfy the requirements for an LTC (for someone living in MA) and cover the necessary safety and operational information everyone needs to have. New Hampshire doesn't require any course for a CCW; Massachusetts and most other states do. I'd then direct whatever money I had toward either renting and shooting, or even better, borrowing and shooting. There are a lot of people here willing to let somebody use one of their guns to help them get started, and let people shoot at their clubs as guests (for as long as the club allows it). A lot of shooting and a little coaching will go a lot further than any class that you might take. I know you indicated you weren't, but if you were interested in defensive shooting, I'd very strongly recommend the Armed Society Summit we're hosting at Pelham the end of this month. Far and away the best couple of hundred you could spend on that subject, regardless of your level.

Ken

Good stuff; thanks all. I guess I will put off purchasing until I find a club, although I might do some window shopping today. :)

I think I'm still spoiled by my teenage years spent in Maine--living in town, I had to drive 3 miles to a place to shoot (if I were so inclined). Most guys just went in their backyards. Driving 30+ miles will be something to get used to. [Wilson Hills and MFL are on the way home from work, but are still 45 miles from me.] I did find a local club but they have a waiting list, so I held off.

KMaurer, I'll keep that in mind. I'm not sure I'm ready for a defensive course, given how little I've shot. But I'll think about it over the next few days.

I recommend that you take a basic pistol course if you have not had formal instruction in shooting and firearms safety. Guns are dangerous. Safety comes first.

I recommend the basic pistol course for anyone who has little or no shooting experience. That's what I did, having never touched a gun before, and it worked out well. Teaching yourself, it's easy to get into some bad habits without realizing it. This can hold back your shooting skill for a while, or if it's safety related, it can be rather dangerous. If you'd like to come to Westford, MA and shoot my 22 (Ruger Mk3) some time, let me know.

Back
Top Bottom