• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Barrett Firearms Introduces Bullpup .50 BMG

The semi-auto M82A1 is rated at 2.5 MOA. The bolt rifles are rated at 1.5 MOA

2.5 MOA translates to just over 25 inches variance at 1000 yards. That a wide variance if your shooting a human sized target.

That would be my take on it; longer barrel with a shorter AOL. I'd also think you should be able to get better balance.

Well, I assume it works. The AUG seems to pull it off great, and there's a lot of hope for that new F2000 thing. Looks way too futuristic for me though.

Bullpup decrease OAL while maintaining a long barrel. It's the most efficient use of weapon space. It also puts the action + mag right against the shoulder. Sans barrel, thats basicly all the wieght of the rifle on your shoulder and not your hand. Also since the muzzel is now much closer to the foregrip, you have more leverage on the firearm for fullauto.

The bad part is the ejection port can make left handed shooting hard or impossible without catching brass in your face. The AUG solved this with ports on both sides, but I think the rifle needs to be stripped to switch sides. The F2000 ejects forward and does not throw casings at all. The problem is whether the ejection chute will be prone to stoppages, only time will tell for that.

The other problem most notably talked about is catastophic failure. If it kabooms, its going to happen right next to your face. Though most rifles have reinforce the area around the action to prevent significant damage from a kaboom.

Americans seem to hate bullpups, but alot of forces around the world use them. I have heard very little bad news about bullpup in general. Except for the British L85's, but their problems were quality and design, not the actual bullpup config.

Back
Top Bottom