• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Baitcaster reels....tips for a noob

greencobra

NES Member
I enjoy fresh water ultra light fishing and want to try a baitcaster reel. Don't want to spend a lot of money on my first reel and I've found that UL baitcaster are almost nonexistent. The only one most people recommend is the Diawa (I think) Pixie series which is discontinued and expensive. So..what reel for a beginner baitcaster and is using it very hard. First words out of anyone you ask is the birdsnests are a nightmare. So help with some information for me you folks that use baitcasters, I'll owe you one.

Watching this thread for info, Jeremy Wade (the guy from River Monsters) seems to use them exclusively, always been interested in getting one to try out...

I just picked up a saltwater baitcasting/conventional reel and took it out down the cape for the first time this weekend. Not what you're talking about, granted, but the concept is the same. If you tune it slower and keep your thumb on the edge of the spindle you can get a feel for them without too many birds nests, but I still spent a good part of the day untangling. From my research though, they're preferred over spinning reels by those who claim to know, so I'm going to put the effort in.

Watching this thread for info, Jeremy Wade (the guy from River Monsters) seems to use them exclusively, always been interested in getting one to try out...

He gets them free from a sponsor and im pretty sure the brand is junk according to reviews, I looked into them because of his show too [laugh]

You can find some daiwa reels on the inexpensive side, I was looking at a few but decided id rather not deal with birdnest nightmares [thinking]

I picked up my first freshwater baitcaster last year and kind of got my butt kicked the first few times using it (rats nest). I found i had to throw much heavier lures to have any sucsess. Keep at it and youll figure it out dont get discouraged even though i know that i did at first. I got the setup for about 65 i think at dicks. Abu Garcia Silver Max on a Berkley Lighting Rod. Have Fun.

First, forget about the concept of "ultralight." Even relatively cheap baitcasters are very light in weight but no baitcaster handles 1/16th oz lures well. Generally speaking, below a quarter oz you are better off with spinning gear. Daiwa, Shimano, Quantum, and many others make excellent reels, some as small as you will want. Learning to use a baitcaster does take some time and practice, but ultimately you will find it's a great tool. Mostly they are effective for bass fishing and larger species that require precision casting and power. I've never known a trout fisherman who used them for anything other than trolling. There are many youtube videos, etc to help you with the learning process. I will say, adjust them properly and practice in your backyard. I've fished professional bass tournaments for many years and still get an occasional backlash--price of doing business--but still preferable to the dreaded loops of spinning reels.

Last edited:
I have a freshwater one that I'm still not that great with, just one thing though, only put about 30 ft of line on it at first and practice with a weight about the same as the jig you want to use. I had basspro put some line on it for me and the tangle was so bad I just cut all the line out of frustration.

Charles.

FWIW I have used Shimano Calcuttas for quite a while (fresh and salt water) and I'll tell you what I have learned. First there is no magic trick to eliminate backlashes other than practice/repetition. (You are learning muscle memory of your thumb on the spool.) Avoid cheap reels, they are more prone to have problems. The Calcuttas have an adjustable internal weight system that allow you to adjust how fast the spool flows. It will help you as a beginner by minimizing backlashes. When I started out I practiced by setting the drag tight so that only a small amount of line would come out (like ten feet or so). After I could cast the ten feet I would loosen the drag and allow a little more line out. Eventually I got to the point where I could cast how far I wanted with the correct amount of drag.

Some things to think about are the line you are using, the weight of the bait and casting into the wind. Not all lines are equally flexible. I personally prefer a heavy-ish mono like 20 Lb XT for my bait casters. I have used braided lines on them, but that is not for a beginner. If you want to throw baits that are light (not ultralight) you will likely need to use lighter line like 10 -14 lb. Eventually you will be able to throw weightless Senkos or Sluggos etc with nothing more than a hook. As for the wind, do not cast into it for quite some time or you will spend more time fixing your backlashes than fishing.

Like I said before, don't go cheap. Luckily you can get used Calcuttas on ebay for good prices. I would start out with a 100 series or 151 if you reel with your left hand.

Shoot me a PM if you have any other questions.

Dave

FWIW I have used Shimano Calcuttas for quite a while (fresh and salt water) and I'll tell you what I have learned. First there is no magic trick to eliminate backlashes other than practice/repetition. (You are learning muscle memory of your thumb on the spool.) Avoid cheap reels, they are more prone to have problems. The Calcuttas have an adjustable internal weight system that allow you to adjust how fast the spool flows. It will help you as a beginner by minimizing backlashes. When I started out I practiced by setting the drag tight so that only a small amount of line would come out (like ten feet or so). After I could cast the ten feet I would loosen the drag and allow a little more line out. Eventually I got to the point where I could cast how far I wanted with the correct amount of drag.

Some things to think about are the line you are using, the weight of the bait and casting into the wind. Not all lines are equally flexible. I personally prefer a heavy-ish mono like 20 Lb XT for my bait casters. I have used braided lines on them, but that is not for a beginner. If you want to throw baits that are light (not ultralight) you will likely need to use lighter line like 10 -14 lb. Eventually you will be able to throw weightless Senkos or Sluggos etc with nothing more than a hook. As for the wind, do not cast into it for quite some time or you will spend more time fixing your backlashes than fishing.

Like I said before, don't go cheap. Luckily you can get used Calcuttas on ebay for good prices. I would start out with a 100 series or 151 if you reel with your left hand.

Shoot me a PM if you have any other questions.

Dave

This here is some pretty damn good advice. I'd listen up.

I got a Garcia Abu 5000D and a Shimano (don't remember the series number). The Garcia is from the 70's and the Shimano from the early 80's. They're old school baitcasters but solid as a rock. You can borrow them if you want to try before you buy. The newer reels are better engineered. Master either one of these and the newer stuff will be a piece of cake.

Last edited:
Dave, thanks for that detailed post. I will look for the Calcutta reel and see what happens. How about a rod? Is there a type I should useful as a beginner baitcaster? Is there a rod I should aspire to progress to when I get better? What about length, does it matter?

And thanks to you all for your suggestions.

Obie1, thanks also, and I will check out those utube videos.

Last edited:
Shimano and Quantum make great reels. I have more broken (and expensive)Daiwa reels than I care to count. Their quality is poor IMHO. Ambassador reels are good but I don't recommend them for a beginner.

Everything relies on 3 factors. Having rod, reel, and line that are appropriate for the lure weight and type of fishing you plan to do. Setting up the reel properly for the weight of the lure you plan to cast is important. And don't try to cast farther than is practical. It takes an educated thumb to cast properly without thinking about it. Forcing the cast will only result in a tangle. Casting rod and reels are more accurate in the hands of a skilled user than spinning reels. It takes time. I suggest starting off with a 6 foot medium rod, perhaps 12 to 17 pound monofilament line, and a 1/2 ounce lure or practice plug. When you get an overcast be patient untangling it. Don't pull the line tight trying to pull it out. Don't get frustrated.

^^^^ This entire post was excellent advice, but I wanted to touch on this comment.
When you get an overcast be patient untangling it. Don't pull the line tight trying to pull it out. Don't get frustrated.
This is very important. Getting a birdsnest out is very easy, as long as you don't start pulling the line all over the place. If you lightly pull the loops out, you shouldn't have any trouble quickly fixing it.

As has been said, match you line and rod to your lure weight and you should be good to go. It takes practice, but once you get it, you'll wonder how you ever went without it. One thing that took me a while to figure out was when overhead casting, turn the reel sideways (90 degrees inwards towards your body) so you can keep even pressure on the spool with your thumb as your arm travels in an arc while casting. If you try to cast overhead with the reel facing up and your thumb on the spool, as your wrist bends, it's very difficult to keep even pressure and you end up with nests. I found sidearm casts a lot easier to master at first, but you need a lot of room to cast that way.

Dave, thanks for that detailed post. I will look for the Calcutta reel and see what happens. How about a rod? Is there a type I should useful as a beginner baitcaster? Is there a rod I should aspire to progress to when I get better? What about length, does it matter?

And thanks to you all for your suggestions.

Obie1, thanks also, and I will check out those utube videos.

The type of fishing and bait you are throwing should determine the rod you choose. I fish for largemouth and smallmouth bass. If I was on a bass boat fishing topwater bait like a spook, I would use a 5 1/2 foot pistol grip rod to work the bait. If I was fishing in 35 feet of water in grassbeds or rock piles I would go with a 7 1/2 foot flipping rod. Since you are beginning, look at either a 6 or 6 1/2 foot rod for starters. They are versatile for a variety of baits. Be sure to understand how a rod's line rating, lure rating, power and action come into play for the bait you are using.

As for rod brands, I am a fan of Gloomis rods, but as a beginner you're probably not going to benefit from their expensive qualities. You are better off to go to a place like bass pro or cabelas and find the reel that fits you. I like the calcuttas, but there are great "low profile" baitcast reels as well, some with faster retrieve ratios. Find the one that is comfortable for your hand (weight and size). After you get a reel, new or used, go back to bass pro and match it to a rod comfortable for you.

Dave

Flippin weedbeds in 35 feet of water huh.... Interesting.... :/

GC, your best bet is a shimano citica or one of the quantums around the 100 dollar range. There are two adjustments on most baitcasters. First is the tension knob next to the handle. This controls the spool speed on the first part of the cast. You want to adjust that so whatever bait you have will fall slowly to the ground when you depress the cast button and the spool does not overrun. If it is too loose you get birdnest city.Second is the magnetic controll which is on the opposite side of the reel. Shimano is a set of magnets on posts you can set either out or in when you take the side plate off. Beginners should start with 4 out and two in. Quantum is nice because there is a dial (ACS dial) that you can choose more or less magnetic control. Always start with more and move one click at a time looser. Too loose you are back in birdnest city again.

For a good starter rod that will do most things well get a 7 foot Meduim Heavy. Best bang for you buck is the St Croix Triumph series that you can find at Dicks for about 80 bucks. I fish tournaments and find these rods excellent as far as value, sensitivity and craftmenship.

Last edited:
Flippin weedbeds in 35 feet of water huh.... Interesting.... :/

I do not know if you are being sarcastic, but I took your comment as being so. Reread my post. I did not say anything about flipping weedbeds in 35 feet of water, I referenced the rod I use and its length in 35 feet or water.

I can't speak to your experience, but I can attest to mine. Most of the time when I fish lakes like Champlain, Winnipesauke, or Squam, summer smallmouths are in deepish water, sometimes as deep as 45 feet, but usually at depths in the low to mid 30s. At those depths I am usually throwing a Carolina rig or football head jigs. When setting hooks on long casts there is considerable line stretch with monofilament. That, combined with the amount of line that needs to be moved to get a good hookset requires a longer rod. For me that is a 7 1/2 foot flipping stick.

I do not know if you are being sarcastic, but I took your comment as being so. Reread my post. I did not say anything about flipping weedbeds in 35 feet of water, I referenced the rod I use and its length in 35 feet or water.

I can't speak to your experience, but I can attest to mine. Most of the time when I fish lakes like Champlain, Winnipesauke, or Squam, summer smallmouths are in deepish water, sometimes as deep as 45 feet, but usually at depths in the low to mid 30s. At those depths I am usually throwing a Carolina rig or football head jigs. When setting hooks on long casts there is considerable line stretch with monofilament. That, combined with the amount of line that needs to be moved to get a good hookset requires a longer rod. For me that is a 7 1/2 foot flipping stick.

I stand corrected. Carolina rigging I use a 7" to 7' 6" foot medium heavy rod, a reel spooled with 30 pound braid, and a 3-4 foot fluorocarbon leader, and always tungsten weight. No stretch, great feel of the bottom and instant solid hooksets. Dragging the rig in 22-30 feet of water on champlain you can have a ton of line out to maintain good bottom contact. The braid makes a huge difference in feel and allows you to fine tune your weight for optimum control. Too deep in the weeds and your bait gets all munged up. But with the braid you need a rod with a little more give than your typical XHeavy flippin stick so you dont rip the hook right through the fish's face.

Have someone proficient with them set it up properly for you and you will be leaps ans bounds ahead in using it. Also cast with your wrist rather than your arm.

I enjoy fresh water ultra light fishing and want to try a baitcaster reel. Don't want to spend a lot of money on my first reel and I've found that UL baitcaster are almost nonexistent. The only one most people recommend is the Diawa (I think) Pixie series which is discontinued and expensive. So..what reel for a beginner baitcaster and is using it very hard. First words out of anyone you ask is the birdsnests are a nightmare. So help with some information for me you folks that use baitcasters, I'll owe you one.

If I were looking for a lighter bait caster and reel I would check out the Falcon BuCoo line of split grip rods because they are light, agile and good quality. Its going to help you reach some of those tough casts. The rod is 6'6" but I think you will understand right away that is a nice rod because of the noticeably cleaner casts you will be making with it, and the Shimano Calcutta 50B the things extremely smooth and its like the Lamborghini of reels. My Dad has one and the thing is beautiful and it is also practical because it works well with light test line and its a very low profile reel. It would run you about 200$ for one on Tuppens.com. (Good buy in my opinion.) But $200 is a bit pricey but as a secondary and or if you didn't like it I would opt for the Diawa Curado 50E is nice reel. If your willing to spend about 135(ish). From what I have heard its a good quality reel for light line bait casting. I think Daiwa drags are generally smoother out of the box also. I have heard nothing but good things about the reel as well. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
When I purchased my first BC I put line on and started to chuck. As expected instant birds nest's. After about a hour I put it down and did not use for another year. a couple of tips I can give First Learn how to adjust the reel to the wight of the lure you are using. YouTube has many videos on this. Second, learn to clear a backlash. The video below saved me a ton of frustration. The more you throw the better you become.

http://youtu.be/TDI5kwR5zjc

When I purchased my first BC I put line on and started to chuck. As expected instant birds nest's. After about a hour I put it down and did not use for another year. a couple of tips I can give First Learn how to adjust the reel to the wight of the lure you are using. YouTube has many videos on this. Second, learn to clear a backlash. The video below saved me a ton of frustration. The more you throw the better you become.

http://youtu.be/TDI5kwR5zjc

Did you keep your thumb on the line while casting and have your magnates adjusted?

The easiest way to get used to a baitcast reel is to tie on whatever you're throwing, say for example a 3/8oz spinner bait, extend the rod straight out in front of you so its tilted up slightly. Then back off the brake slowly until you can get to where a slight and quick downward twitch of the rod will allow the lure to fall about 2 to 3 feet and stop.

That along with keeping your thumb hovering just above the spool during a cast will reduce the chances of a backlash. Once you get used to casting with one its easier to experiment with the brakes and magnets.

Baitcasters are best suited for heavier lures, lobbing out large shiners, jigging, and fishing in heavy cover where a heavier rod and line are needed to keep fish out of weeds. If i'm fishing clear water with no obstructions, I usually leave baitcasting gear at home.

My advice to you is just practice, everyone's setup differently.
On all of mine, with lure tied on and button depressed ready to cast, my lure won't move at all.
Even if I shake it it doesn't fall much at all, that works for me and how I cast it. I let the rod throw the lure, using the flex of the pole when I whip it out.
They cast a country mile and I rarely use my thumb at all. Just watch the wind, that will get ya....

Keeping your thumb lightly on the reel is key. As soon as you feel the reel overrunning increase thumb pressure. After a while this will become second nature.

Also remember to apply firmer thumb pressure when the lure/bait hits the water as the line will decelerate whereas the reel will continue to spin pushing out too much line.

Last edited:
Holy necrothreads, Batman!

8 years later, there are some baitcasters that can handle light baits. I've got a Abu-Garcia Revo somethingorother that I use with light line to chuck stick worms. I got it for next to nothing but I forget how. LOL. I thought BPS but I look at my history and it's not there.

Back
Top Bottom