Backyard bullet trap

Anyone done one? I'm thinking something like this. We are backed up by pond with no neighbors in that direction, so I'm not really worried about having a round go wild and hurt someone, but I'd prefer to keep the lead out of the ground. This isn't a question of whether it's legal or not. Looking for advice on what to build (and how). I would like to strike a balance between longevity and maintenance. Also don't really want it to be permanent (hence bullet trap and not berm).

Thoughts?

Thanks!

My club just built one. You want me to take some pics of it for you?

Sent from the depths of Hell with TapaTalk V2

Hmm, yea, if it's convenient. That said, I'm looking to spend what you would expect a homeowner to spend, not a club. Just sayin'. Thanks.

It's pretty small, holds two targets and is for pistol calibers. The design is pretty nice.

I'll stop by tomorrow and snap some pics for ya.

It's pretty small, holds two targets and is for pistol calibers. The design is pretty nice.

I'll stop by tomorrow and snap some pics for ya.

That's basically what I'm looking to build. Thanks!

Anyone done one? I'm thinking something like this. We are backed up by pond with no neighbors in that direction, so I'm not really worried about having a round go wild and hurt someone, but I'd prefer to keep the lead out of the ground. This isn't a question of whether it's legal or not. Looking for advice on what to build (and how). I would like to strike a balance between longevity and maintenance. Also don't really want it to be permanent (hence bullet trap and not berm).

Thoughts?

Thanks!

When I get a few days off, I am going to do the same thing. I searched youtube for a few hours one night and found a whole bunch of videos of people making bullet traps, I think this one fits my needs as I do not intend to shoot anything other then pistol caliber and .22 at it. I will probably over build it a little, using 2x8's for studs to get a little more dirt in the walls.

Somewhat related, I thought this one was quite interesting for zeroing a rifle if you have the space.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw that first vid. I'm leaning towards something like that. Basically a box with rubber on the anterior board and sand filling up the rest of the space.

Finally got to getting the pics...

vutata5a.jpg

u8e6evyh.jpg

4enu4abe.jpg

9u3yseqa.jpg

zyze7uve.jpg

Unit is 10x5x8. Built from concrete block, slab and wx coated. It has a steel plate set at a 35 degree angle that deflects the bullet into the sand pit. Roof is wood frame and shingled.

$100 DIY Bullet Trap

I can't sit on this coolness any longer. I hereby declare testing complete. Here it is.

image.jpeg

This is a 2x3 foot plywood box filled with 11 bags of rubber mulch. Both faces are covered with 1/2" rubber stall mat. I have 4 dowels with screws and washers in the field to keep the rubber sides from bulging. It is 18" deep. I have had no handgun caliber come out the other side. One day I may see what a rifle does. The face of mine has seen several hundred rounds easy. The holes you see are from hollow points. FMJ holes close back up nicely.

image(1).jpeg

The lower right field screw was hit twice by a .45 before giving out. If I did it again I would use threaded rod with fender washers and lock nuts. And I would use a 3/4" thick stall mat for longer life and more structural integrity. If you made your box a 2x2 and used a 3/4" mat the field supports would not be needed.

The only downside is the thing is ridiculously heavy. I put the corner brackets on after building because I was afraid a corner might give out while moving around. And I used a hand cart for that...

I'd be concerned that when using [thread=75980]rubber mulch[/thread] on a larger scale, it may [thread=217000]catch fire[/thread].

This is a 2x3 foot plywood box filled with 11 bags of rubber mulch.
For my airgun range, I use a smaller variant I found on another forum, with barely 2 bags of rubber mulch in a midsized Home Depot storage container. I checked inside after six months of use, and the contents had not settled at all, nor was the mulch leaking through the .177/.22 size holes in the side. Flipped it front to back, and it should be good for another year, if not longer.

Four years later being outside mostly uncovered and my trap still rocks. Has not caught fire either... lol! I did start shooting into the backside and the rubber had settled a bit so the top few inches are a no-go but I could not be happier with it. I share space with a few cows now so thats a bit of a problem but I hope to find enough ambition this summer to drag it into the woods...

Back
Top Bottom