• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Backpack knife suggestions

I'm looking for a fixed blade that will attach to the shoulder strap of my backpack, any suggestions?

Sent from my C6522N using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have a SOG Force. It's a good knife. I like it because of its metal and the sheath. It has AUS 8 and a MOLLE compatible sheath with a nice pocket for emergency items (sharpener, fire starter...). I know AUS 8 is not the greatest metal these days and the knife is made in Taiwan...but I like the fact that it doesn't rust like 1095, and I own plenty of USA knives as well... I had a Benchmade with 1095 and it rusted big time after just one night of camping/partying. On the other hand, my Benchmade Griptilian with 154CM has been incredible. Choose your steel for your purposes.
I love the ESEE's and the Kabar USMC and will most certainly add them to my collection one day soon, but I buy most of my gear for a SHTF scenario and I don't want rust in the field, although that 1095 is way sharper than the AUS8.
Sorry for rambling...
You can't own one knife....:)

Thanks for the suggestions. I use a marine ilbe pack for hiking, the waist support gets in the way of my belt so I want to mount it on the shoulder strap. I like the esse and the kabar.

Sent from my C6522N using Tapatalk

I had a big ass D2 super modern new & improved KaBar strapped to my pack for a while. I found it to be an unsatisfactory system. When I wanted to use the knife I wasn't wearing the pack. Which lends itself to putting the thing down somewhere , cause the sheath isn't where it belongs , on your belt.

Strapping it to your gear makes sense with LBE rigs , because they stay on after your ruck is off.

Knife goes on pants' belt now. But not the KaBar , I have smaller knives ( RAT 3 or benchmade Snody design ) which are more useful for the majority of matter separation tasks.

I have a Gerber Prodigy on my pack. It's a little smaller than the ka bar type knives but has held up very well on every camping and hiking trip, and has one of the best sheath I've seen.

My wife's bug out pack has the slightly larger Bear Grylls fixed blade...say want you want about the dufus but it's a good knife that we got cheap shortly after his fall from grace.

I have a couple of Buck 119's, and one of them is strapped to the side of one of my packs.

I mainly use it for sharpening pointy sticks when I am camping. I haven't had to gut anything with it yet.

I've used one of them to hack through a 6" log, just to see if I could.

As others have said, it depends on what you want to do with it.

Back
Top Bottom