Back from the range

My dad and I took a ride down to NLRG today, to... play..
.308 bolt action, .22 tube fed, 17hmr, and I finally got to shoot my New 10/22..... Ive only had it for 77 days 2 hours and 37 min before I finally got the chance to shoot it. (and yes, I really did time it.) Once I got the iron sites some what on target, it was a blast.. Pun intended.. Had my first squib too. (A squib is when it strikes but doesn't fire right?)

We are going back tomorrow to do some trap shooting.. and ill finally get to shoot another gun of mine that Ive had for awhile but have yet to shoot..... And by awhile I mean last June.....

My Name is BruceW, and Im addicted to Shooting.[smile] Now I just need my Darn LTC.... and of course, more money... what is it with me picking expensive hobby's?

What you describe is a misfire..... a squib is when the projectile only goes part way down the barrel and blocks the barrel. This can be very dangerous if not caught and rectified before the next shot.

Misfire is very common. Squib is very rare.

Technically a Squib is an underpowered round. It does not have to result in a projectile lodged in the barrel, but many times does. There are several possible causes, but usually it is a cartridge that is missing it's powder charge. (In Naval guns, the Squib did the job of a primer in setting off the main charge, so a "Squib load" would just contain the priming element.)

There are 3 basic types of ammunition malfunctions:

Misfire - Firing pin strikes the primer, but nothing happens. This is common in rimfire as the priming compound can easily be distributed unevenly around the rim.

Hangfire - a delayed ignition. Gun goes Click-Bang. Very common in flintlock style muskets. Usually a modern round that is contaminated in some manner. The delay is usually quick but documented delays of several seconds have been made. Because a misfire can become a hangfire, it is recommended that the gun maintain a safe direction for up to 30 seconds.

Squib load - detailed above. Any time you feel a shot that didn't have the sound or recoil expected, stop, unload, and check the gun. If the projectile did get lodged in the barrel, it must be removed before the gun can be used. Note that it will be in there VERY tight.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom