• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AWB & the S&W 15-22

I don't disagree, but...

Is it that the 15-22 is no longer an AW, based on the AG site update...or that the 15-22 is still an AW (and the AG's own site is incorrect). If a folding (I really meant to say "collapsible") stock is used, but the device is classified as not being an AW, where does that stand in the eyes of the AG?

Interesting question, isn't it?

The AG does NOT arrest and prosecute, your local PD and DA do that. See below.

What does the written law state?

A semi automatic with detachable magazine.
2 features.
15-22 has a pistol grip, and you want to add a collapsible stock. That is 2 feature's.

I dont see any exemption for 22lr.

So go ahead and if your taken down. The AG reserves the right to alter what she said. The MA AWB is pretty clear to me.

No, it clearly violates the AWB. Do you think the AG will protect you when the local DA charges you?

The law as it is written is the law.

The AG cannot make anything illegal in the law suddenly legal by FAQ.
The AG cannot make anything legal in the law suddenly illegal by FAQ/Guidance.

This whole thing is simply the OPINION of the chief prosecutor in the state. She is wrong. Do not give her OPINION any more weight than it deserves. People are complying for now out of fear, uncertainty, and doubt - since even though she is wrong she can make your life hell through unjust prosecution.

Do not try to understand the AG's guidance. Just ignore it to be safe.

All the above.

Most PDs don't understand this BS either, but if you were arrested and prosecuted, they would rely on the MGL as written, not a bunch of FAQs that have randomly been issued and changed.

My post wasn't about buying one; it's about being able to put the previously-defined-as-AW parts on it.

Sure. Go right ahead and let us know how you make out. Somebody needs to be a test case and it sounds like you want to be "that guy". [rofl]

Seriously, If you thought your question was valid prior to 7-20 why did you wait until now?

For what it's worth:
https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section121

''Assault weapon'', shall have the same meaning as a semiautomatic assault weapon as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(30) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994, and shall include, but not be limited to, any of the weapons, or copies or duplicates of the weapons, of any caliber, known as...

All of this stuff still just drives me absolutely nuts. Our AG.......lets just say the way I want to finish that sentence would make most people blush.

Seriously, If you thought your question was valid prior to 7-20 why did you wait until now?

I didn't say anything about my question being valid before 7/20; simply that it seems to have changed with the AG site update last week regarding .22 devices not being impacted by the AWB (or, 'clarification').

My questions are valid, and I was looking for sincere answers, due to the high level of confusion caused by conflicting information.

The best piece of advice so far is to follow the written law, which is almost sure where law enforcement would do.

I didn't say anything about my question being valid before 7/20; simply that it seems to have changed with the AG site update last week regarding .22 devices not being impacted by the AWB (or, 'clarification').

My questions are valid, and I was looking for sincere answers, due to the high level of confusion caused by conflicting information.

The best piece of advice so far is to follow the written law, which is almost sure where law enforcement would do.

Correct. And not ask the AG anything.

Go along like this was June with what you can/can not do wrt 15-22s and you will be safe.

The law as it is written is the law.

The AG cannot make anything illegal in the law suddenly legal by FAQ.
The AG cannot make anything legal in the law suddenly illegal by FAQ/Guidance.

This whole thing is simply the OPINION of the chief prosecutor in the state. She is wrong. Do not give her OPINION any more weight than it deserves. People are complying for now out of fear, uncertainty, and doubt - since even though she is wrong she can make your life hell through unjust prosecution.

+1

The whole situation comes down to one question:

Is everybody on the same page as Healy?

1)Gun owners.
Apparently not, we don't know what the **** she's talking about. We only can guess her intentions.

2)DA
These people are probably secretly mad at her. She just changed the law without discussing it with DAs and legislatures.

3)LE
I think cops are as confused as gun owners. Not that they will hesitate to arrest a few of us for trying test water.

4) Gun shops
They were like : WTH!

I don't see where anything changed as far as what is an "assault weapon". I only see that Healy changed how she wanted them defined.

Were you shopping for the AGP take down stock? I always wanted one.
img_6894.jpg

To the OP's question regarding magazines... Why would mag capacity be influenced in any way? There are NO legal mags, pistol, or rifle over 10 rounds, unless they were manufactured prior to the '94 AWB, so why do you think that just because this rifle is .22, that it is magically exempt? The mag capacity limit is for all semi auto pistols and rifles, regardless of caliber, the new interpretation of the AWB has not changed that. As far as other evil features on the 15-22, that all depends on YOUR personal tolerance for risk. If you don't want to pin the stock, then don't. It's all a roll of the dice until someone gets arrested and becomes a test case, but the high cap mag thing is pretty black and white since there are obviously NO pre-ban mags that fit the 15-22.

You should throw some high capacity 22lr magazines on it also. Since 22s are exempt the mags are good to go also. Right?

I think a whole lot of people are being baited

There are MA compliant magazines that hold ten rounds for the M&P 15-22 style rifles. I would not fool around with trying to buy higher capacity magazines in Massachusetts.
Best regards.

The whole situation comes down to one question:

Is everybody on the same page as Healy?

3)LE
I think cops are as confused as gun owners. Not that they will hesitate to arrest a few of us for trying test water.

The vast majority (90%) of cops dont know that any of this is going on.
There has been nothing official put out to law enforcement on this.

Clearly states all .22's are not AW

Clearly and wrongly.

I agree with bill. As I quoted before from malegislature.gov before:
"...shall have the same meaning as a semiautomatic assault weapon as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(30) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994, and shall include, but not be limited to, any of the weapons, or copies or duplicates of the weapons, of any caliber, known as: (i) Avtomat Kalashnikov..."

It's right in the MGLs after her beloved "copies or duplicates" clause.

I don't acknowledge the validity of the AG's action, so I'm not going to use her action to justify some purchase (which is illegal according to the actual law).

I agree with bill. As I quoted before from malegislature.gov before:
"...shall have the same meaning as a semiautomatic assault weapon as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(30) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994, and shall include, but not be limited to, any of the weapons, or copies or duplicates of the weapons, of any caliber, known as: (i) Avtomat Kalashnikov..."

It's right in the MGLs after her beloved "copies or duplicates" clause.

Yes. Many rifles, shotguns, and pistols are not assault weapons, and therefore are not “copies or duplicates” of enumerated assault weapons. For example, the following are not assault weapons under G.L. c. 140, § 121:

• Any .22 caliber rimfire rifle;

Anyone who thinks .22 rim fire would be used as an issued assault rifle by any military ,
Is in fantasy land.
there is no need to ban any .22 cal. Except in a total prohibition of the 2A.

but ma. does.

Yes. Many rifles, shotguns, and pistols are not assault weapons, and therefore are not “copies or duplicates” of enumerated assault weapons. For example, the following are not assault weapons under G.L. c. 140, § 121:

The AG cannot enact or repeal laws. It is a core concept of our state government that is lost on so many people.

It's funny that the FAQ now says all .22 rimfire are exempt, but that's still completely wrong.

If you want to adhere to a Q&A on a government employee's website that has been edited around 50 times in a month over the text of the MGL, more power to you. I just hope for the sake of anyone making that choice that the AG (who certainly won't do us any favors), doesn't decide tomorrow or a week, or month from now that she'd prefer to remove that particular entry.

Who cares.... 2 month ago you could have picked up a pimped out 15-22 for $349 and nobody was buying them..... so now you want one with a collapsible stock? Maybe put a grenade launcher on it?

If you want to adhere to a Q&A on a government employee's website that has been edited around 50 times in a month over the text of the MGL, more power to you. I just hope for the sake of anyone making that choice that the AG (who certainly won't do us any favors), doesn't decide tomorrow or a week, or month from now that she'd prefer to remove that particular entry.

This is not a one or the other thing. They will use both the MGLs and her bullshit decree to charge us. While some of this stuff is clearly in conflict, don't think that one covers you.

All this proves is that the law doesn't matter, the Constitution doesn't matter, facts and logic don't matter, etc. All that matters is WHO wants to bring someone down. The courts in this state are a joke and just about every elected leader in this state is complicit with this Soviet-style approach to "law and order" most notably, RINO Governor!

Back
Top Bottom