AWB of 2019...Permanent this time?

I'll try to answer. I'm in RI but have somewhat of an understanding. I guess Dukakis and his crew were trying to push a handgun ban but luckily the police unions jumped in against said ban which helped stop it in its tracks. Obviously there are people on here that have way more knowledge but that's the jist ad I remember it

What happened in 1976?

Read the full story of the 1976 attempted hand gun ban by ballot initiative, Against All Odds by David Kopel
But on March 9, 1976, the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court handed down its unanimous decision in Commonwealth v. Davis: there was no individual right to arms in Massachusetts. Period. Whatever the right had meant in 1780, as of 1976 nobody in Massachusetts had any right to keep or bear a firearm. A complete ban on all guns would be constitutional. The implication for the pending vote on handgun confiscation was obvious.

You guys must have been shitting a brick back then.

It was essentially the birth of GOAL and one of the reasons behind the creation of the Boston Gun and Rifle Association. A club facility needed to exist to support the Italian American Police Association and preserve the ability of Boston residents to own handguns with onsite storage in anticipation of a ban.

Few years before I was born though. I am old enough to remember open carry of shotguns with no one batting an eye, guns at Kmart next to fishing poles, and out on the floor with barrels full of Mil-surps at Woolworth’s in downtown Boston.

Back
Top Bottom