• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AWB of 2019...Permanent this time?

It's not going to happen post Heller.

SCOTUS has been trying it's best not to hear cases with mags or rifles like the plague because the writing is on the wall for how thats going to go down, and the left leaning judges will either have to pretend they are mentally retarded in order to fail to understand it under scrutiny or betray their base by doing the obvious - which is over turning bans.

They'll hear it eventually.

The real problem is the red flag laws. Those are some major draconian pieces of shit and its going to have a lot of good people killed or hurt before a court figures out the shit needs to stop.

The difference between now and 1994 is that there are States and other jurisdictions that wouldn’t go along with a new ban, as well as lots of individuals. That’s what could lead to CW3

Assuming trump wins... and continues stacking the courts...

Given the braying the Donks have been doing as of late, should the Elephant Party see success in 2020, they would do well to get the ball rolling on a Constitutional amendment to fix the size of SCOTUS. (They would do well to look after other things too, such as electoral shenanigans - everyone should be required, at least once, to produce one's self at the Registrar's with one's bona fides to enroll, and produce some sort of ID credential to vote, none of this "instant automatic voter" bullshit.)

Walmart CEO: It's time to consider ban on assault weapons

Published: 08/15/19
The chief executive officer of Walmart is calling for a debate on banning assault weapons amid pressure for the retailer to stop selling firearms.

"In the national conversation around gun safety, we're encouraged that broad support is emerging to strengthen background checks and to remove weapons from those who have been determined to pose an imminent danger," the prepared statement said. "The reauthorization of the assault weapons ban should be debated to determine its effectiveness in keeping weapons made for war out of the hands of mass murderers." ...

The difference between now and 1994 is that there are States and other jurisdictions that wouldn’t go along with a new ban, as well as lots of individuals. That’s what could lead to CW3
Can you elaborate? I was too young for the first one, and just assumed states had become more liberal as a whole.

Can you elaborate? I was too young for the first one, and just assumed states had become more liberal as a whole.

Theres to much case law and popular support for ARs, despite the fact that the liberals think that the publicly is overwhelmingly against them. Every liberal I've ever brought to the range thought I was the only person on Earth with an AR. They have absolutely no idea how common they are. Not only are they very common rifles with a lot of people owning them, we have things like Heller that say you can't ban weapons in the common use. SCOTUS would be nearly forced to hear a case that has common use weapons banned as the entire law goes directly against a ruling.

2 things remain: Trump is very dangerous for the 2A and the NRA needs to f*** off and die.

It's not going to happen post Heller.

SCOTUS has been trying it's best not to hear cases with mags or rifles like the plague because the writing is on the wall for how thats going to go down, and the left leaning judges will either have to pretend they are mentally retarded in order to fail to understand it under scrutiny or betray their base by doing the obvious - which is over turning bans.

They'll hear it eventually.

The real problem is the red flag laws. Those are some major draconian pieces of shit and its going to have a lot of good people killed or hurt before a court figures out the shit needs to stop.

Worse with erpo my gut feeling is those f***s in Congress will turn it into "Lautenberg 2" and then there's no escaping that shit wrt federal pp status...

-Mike

Worse with erpo my gut feeling is those f***s in Congress will turn it into "Lautenberg 2" and then there's no escaping that shit wrt federal pp status...

-Mike

I’m missing this - what would 2 look like? Like Lautenberg 1but not requiring a conviction?

I’m missing this - what would 2 look like? Like Lautenberg 1but not requiring a conviction?

No, mostly concerned with erpo acting ike a DV RO/209A, crosses state lines and renders one a PP as long as it's in force. Currently erpo BS is constrained to states that have it, it doesn't propagate or travel.

Actually Lautenberg 1 does NOT require a conviction. It left it to each state to set the boundaries. MA set them as an exparte accusation, most of Free America requires a hearing with both parties present before you are stripped of your Constitutional right to self defense.

Gun Rights Watch: Tracking Gun Laws Across America
If you follow all these 2nd Ammendment Sanctuary movements going on in States that would otherwise be thought of as liberal, such as Washington, New Mexico and Illinois, you quickly see that the more conservative and less populated areas of these liberal states are refusing to enforce laws made in their Liberal state capitals. I assume conservative states like Alabama, Georgia,The Carolins New Hampshire, Idaho and Montana, would most likely also refuse a federal ban as a State.
Maybe I am naive, But just looking at this Shall Issue vs May issue vs Constitutional carry map over the last 25 years fills me with hope that things are changing for the better. A lot more people are invested in the Second Amendment than were 25 years ago.

rtc.gif

Gun Rights Watch: Tracking Gun Laws Across America
If you follow all these 2nd Ammendment Sanctuary movements going on in States that would otherwise be thought of as liberal, such as Washington, New Mexico and Illinois, you quickly see that the more conservative and less populated areas of these liberal states are refusing to enforce laws made in their Liberal state capitals. I assume conservative states like Alabama, Georgia,The Carolins New Hampshire, Idaho and Montana, would most likely also refuse a federal ban as a State.
Maybe I am naive, But just looking at this Shall Issue vs May issue vs Constitutional carry map over the last 25 years fills me with hope that things are changing for the better. A lot more people are invested in the Second Amendment than were 25 years ago.

rtc.gif

This is a key point. The right actually cares about the RKBA now, especially on the state level. I was talking about this to a member here via PM: sixteen states are constitutional carry but only ten are AWB/mag ban states. Think about it this way: 10/38 towns in RI are 2A sanctuaries. When you look at a map, those ten towns are like a third to half of the state's entire land area. IN FREAKIN' RHODE ISLAND! Forget a county or two in Texas, people right here in New England would balk at a national AWB.

The rest of the country would be pissed about a national AWB and all those state AGs would file suit against the enforcement of any such Federal ban. The case would go to SCOTUS pretty quick.

House Democrats plan ammunition ban vote next month

... Some House Democrats will return early from the summer recess to advance gun control legislation, including a bill banning large ammunition clips....

... House Democrats are nonetheless ready to advance additional gun control measures. Nadler said he’ll take up a measure that would ban high-capacity ammunition magazines, which were used in a string of deadly mass shootings this summer.

The committee will vote to advance the ammunition ban measure on Sept. 4 and plans a Sept. 25 hearing on banning “military-style assault weapons,” Nadler said. ...

The problem is it takes a decade to move through the courts. Meanwhile, Trumps travel ban literally heard by courts and injunctions filed within days

Sounds to me like we need to find ourselves some judges who will whack an injunction on the new law until it gets hashed out.

We have determined that you only need one to halt the action nation wide.

If whatever law comes down involves confiscation or "buy back" without a grandfather clause it should be easy to make the case that not staying the application could cause irreversible damage whereas waiting for the outcome of the lawsuits would just maintain status quo.

They're going to do that to millions of people? lol good luck with that.

That's unfortunately not their usual MO. They jack up 10 or so simultaneously very harshly so everyone else sees making sure they choose suburban "everyman." Media gleefully covers the "just punishment." Then a large percentage willingly turn em in. Rinse and repeat as needed.

Well, the anti's in gov't are getting onto their soap boxes over the Midland & Odessa TX shooting incidents. They are screaming for gun control, and of course the complicit media is right there with them....

Question, How did the first AWB survive for 10 years without being overturned on 2nd Amendment grounds?

Question, How did the first AWB survive for 10 years without being overturned on 2nd Amendment grounds?

Look at SCotUS for that era and you'll have your answer. No one was going to push a case guaranteed to nullify the 2nd like what happened in MA in 1976.

Back
Top Bottom