• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Averted a potential break-in

Status
Not open for further replies.

mav

NES Member
I get home from Christmas shopping and take the dog for a quick walk. I notice 2 teenage boys with hoodies up hanging out a couple of houses down from mine. Then I notice 2 teenage girls hanging out on the front porch of my neighbors house... and the neighbors aren't home.

Don't recognize the kids and they look "street", while the neighbors are an older couple. Alarm bells are going off in my head now as it doesn't look right. I stop and stare and one of the girls says "You have a problem?". I say "Yeah. You don't live here... I know the family who lives here and they aren't you". She says they are waiting for their friend. I tell them they are trespassing and to take a hike. Girl gets an attitude and starts swearing, but they all start beating a retreat.

At one point I mention that their "boyfriends" weren't very good lookouts and that I'm going to call the cops. The girl with the attitude says something about snitching while one of the boys starts with the attitude.

Long story short, I'm pretty sure I just saved Christmas for my neighbors. On the other hand, I'm sure I will now be a target for these hooligans as no good deed goes unpunished.

Doesn't sound like they are criminal masterminds and you now know what they look like. I'd write down now, before you forget detail, everything you can remember about them. I'd also report this to the police now. There is a fair chance if they are bad actors that they are known to them. Otherwise just watch your 6.

I have NO problem dialing 911 when I see anything amiss in my neighborhood. Shitheads from METHeuen and Lawrence are always "cruising" the area. A neighbor was helping another neighbor across the street, a while back, and a car drops a guy off in front of his house, they guy starts trying doors...while the owner is watching from across the street!

My wife asked me to pick up some fruit on the way home from visiting my mother. Fortunately, my 20 and 22 year old sons were with me, so I could wait in the car and send them in four minutes before closing. It wasn't until they got out of the car I realized it was a little chilly, and they only had sweatshirts on. Up came the hoodies as they got out of the car and walked towards the store.

I bet they were being watched very closely as they paid for those bananas.

Scum bags. Hopefully they will get what they deserve sooner or later. Good job OP!

My wife asked me to pick up some fruit on the way home from visiting my mother. Fortunately, my 20 and 22 year old sons were with me, so I could wait in the car and send them in four minutes before closing. It wasn't until they got out of the car I realized it was a little chilly, and they only had sweatshirts on. Up came the hoodies as they got out of the car and walked towards the store.

I bet they were being watched very closely as they paid for those bananas.
Wow.

The trick is to get one to swing at you. I laid a good smashing on someone who had some choice works for my mom and swung at me. I remember the emts asking my dad for some milk to put his teeth in after I bounced his head off the curb a few times. No charges self defense. Funny he never came back to the neighborhood.

Last edited:
Doesn't sound like they are criminal masterminds and you now know what they look like. I'd write down now, before you forget detail, everything you can remember about them. I'd also report this to the police now. There is a fair chance if they are bad actors that they are known to them. Otherwise just watch your 6.

Bet you the pd just does not care..
Best he gets is a "thanks, we'll look into it"

Add one more to the "Report it to the Police NOW!". They can't do anything about it now, but if they get more reports then they might know what to look for in the future.

Bet you the pd just does not care..
Best he gets is a "thanks, we'll look into it"

Good officers do. And sometimes it helps.

4692256.gif

I would have snapped a few pictures. Usually these kids are well known. Kids today are such punks. It would be real hard to resist giving them a beating.

Last edited:
My suggestion of a call to the cops is really to get a paper trail in motion in case they re-appear. But there is a chance they are known to the police.

In hindsight, I wish I would have thought to take my phone out and snap pics. Like most unexpected encounters, the adrenaline kicked in as soon as I realized what was (probably) happening. Only thing on my mind at that point was keeping an eye on the females while watching my back for what I viewed as the larger threat... the two males.

To answer another poster's question, I wasn't carrying. That changes now.

In hindsight, I wish I would have thought to take my phone out and snap pics. Like most unexpected encounters, the adrenaline kicked in as soon as I realized what was (probably) happening. Only thing on my mind at that point was keeping an eye on the females while watching my back for what I viewed as the larger threat... the two males.

The correct response would have been:

[rofl]

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have snapped a few pictures. Usually these kids are well known. Kids today are such punks. It would be real hard to resist giveing them a beating.

This actually would have been the smartest move of all. Just start snapping pictures of them in an obvious way. Don't confront at all. Let them confront you to find out why you are taking pics. If ANYTHING happens in the neighborhood you have good suspects to show the police. Good insurance if nothing else.

My sister in law and her family live in Nashua. A couple of weeks ago, their 18 year old son confronted a young black guy with a hoodie in their driveway at about 2am. The kid ran off when her son came out on their deck and turned the light on. Fast forward to 2 nights ago, and their SUV got broken into and had a good amount of Christmas presents they were hiding from their kids stolen out of the cargo area. Too bad the son wasn't thinking quick enough to photograph that kid in the hoodie, because I suspect it was the same kid, or he at least knew who did it. ****ing scumbag thieves!

- - - Updated - - -

i would have waited for them to break in and would have SWATed them with a home invasion call

This would have been awesome! Say you saw what appeared to be assault rifles in their hands![laugh]

Never thought I would see a thread on here where multiple people would suggest calling the cops.

The loudest cop haters here are the first ones to get freaky in the MA legal threads about pre-ban mags,etc. They've got 911 on speed dial for the first time their cats can't quite push a hairball up. And then you get a "Oh My God My Best Friend Mr. Mittens has Passed On to Happy Place" thread after the barely sentient rodent chokes out.

+1 for your actions. You are one of the good guys.

-1 for not carrying. Bad poster. Bad.

+1 for your avatar.

Net: +1, rep sent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom