Averted a potential break-in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never thought I would see a thread on here where multiple people would suggest calling the cops.

The loudest cop haters here are the first ones to get freaky in the MA legal threads about pre-ban mags,etc. They've got 911 on speed dial for the first time their cats can't quite push a hairball up. And then you get a "Oh My God My Best Friend Mr. Mittens has Passed On to Happy Place" thread after the barely sentient rodent chokes out.

[laugh2] OK heroes, you go running over and go all Zimmerman on their asses![rofl] are you saying that you wouldn't call the cops if you saw some scumbag thieves breaking into your neighbor's house?

Why not carry? Im assuming since you said that would change, that you have the ability to and chose not to.

[laugh2] OK heroes, you go running over and go all Zimmerman on their asses![rofl] are you saying that you wouldn't call the cops if you saw some scumbag thieves breaking into your neighbor's house?

no one saw a B+E, just some kids that looked "street" loitering.

Get-Off-My-Lawn.jpg

The loudest cop haters here are the first ones to get freaky in the MA legal threads about pre-ban mags,etc. They've got 911 on speed dial for the first time their cats can't quite push a hairball up. And then you get a "Oh My God My Best Friend Mr. Mittens has Passed On to Happy Place" thread after the barely sentient rodent chokes out.

lurk less, post more.

First of all, there were a couple of different situations discussed, so I wasn't sure which they were talking about. Second, if those "street" looking kids don't belong in that neighborhood, then chances are good that they are there for a "not so good" purpose. Seems like that's what the police are supposed to be for. They can check things out, where you can't really as a private citizen without potentially escalating a situation, or bringing problems on yourself.

The OP wrote that two of them were on his neighbor's front porch and he knew the neighbors were not home. I would have hit 911 and reported that to the police. Let them send a cruiser. In my neighborhood, and in his apparently, we watch out for each other. A cruiser showing up to investigate a couple of trespassing kids is a better situation than having the neighbors come home to a house burglary or vandalism.
Best regards.

First of all, there were a couple of different situations discussed, so I wasn't sure which they were talking about. Second, if those "street" looking kids don't belong in that neighborhood, then chances are good that they are there for a "not so good" purpose. Seems like that's what the police are supposed to be for. They can check things out, where you can't really as a private citizen without potentially escalating a situation, or bringing problems on yourself.

The OP wrote that two of them were on his neighbor's front porch and he knew the neighbors were not home. I would have hit 911 and reported that to the police. Let them send a cruiser. In my neighborhood, and in his apparently, we watch out for each other. A cruiser showing up to investigate a couple of trespassing kids is a better situation than having the neighbors come home to a house burglary or vandalism.
Best regards.

Mrs_Kravitz.jpg

Dollars to donuts no one here would call if they were liable for a fee for a pointless report. You would only call because it was "free". Waste, Fraud, Abuse ground zero.

Last edited:
I'm going to go ahead and disagree with a lot of the posters, and agree with the OP's actions. I think it was handled well. You don't need to involve the police in all matters, particularly when it comes to your own neighborhood. It could be handled without them, and it was. Based on the description, it isn't clear what the hooligans were up to. I mean, I doubt it was anything good, but it doesn't mean they were going to start burglarizing the neighborhood. Maybe they were just loitering. Well, telling them to beat it solved that problem significantly easier and quicker then calling the police. Maybe they were planning a break in. Well heck, it solved that too! What would the police have done, locked them up for the potential burglary that never happened? Doubt it.

Kudos to the OP for recognizing something fishy, AND not being a state reliant wimp and doing something about it himself.

2 kids loitering in a good position to warn if the home owners returned. 2 kids trespassing on the front porch of an empty house. They had to go through the fenced gate to get there, so there was some intent to trespass... and I'm guessing some other shady stuff.

I talked to my neighbor and he said his 19 yo daughter was at work and wasn't exoecting anyone. The teens seemed too young to have any dealings with his daughter. 15-16 max.

I think you did an awesome job stopping to ask what was going on, certainly the kind of neighbor I would like to have.

Tim [thumbsup]

2 kids loitering in a good position to warn if the home owners returned. 2 kids trespassing on the front porch of an empty house. They had to go through the fenced gate to get there, so there was some intent to trespass... and I'm guessing some other shady stuff.

I talked to my neighbor and he said his 19 yo daughter was at work and wasn't exoecting anyone. The teens seemed too young to have any dealings with his daughter. 15-16 max.

You handled it just fine without cops, no need to backpedal to appease bootlicking majority.

My iPhone is set up so I can take a photo without even unlocking it.

I just press the home screen button and swipe the camera icon up.

Then all I have to do is press the up volume bottom to take the picture.

My iPhone is set up so I can take a photo without even unlocking it.

I just press the home screen button and swipe the camera icon up.

Then all I have to do is press the up volume bottom to take the picture.

So is everybody else's iphone haha

Never thought I would see a thread on here where multiple people would suggest calling the cops.

No surprise at all. Put even the slightest bit of fear or pressure on people and they run to the first authority they can find. Keep in mind that a huge portion of posters here are very pro-authority (i.e., typical republicans). Nothing makes those guys happier than the idea of police pushing people around for non-conformity ("looking street").

No surprise at all. Put even the slightest bit of fear or pressure on people and they run to the first authority they can find. Keep in mind that a huge portion of posters here are very pro-authority (i.e., typical republicans). Nothing makes those guys happier than the idea of police pushing people around for non-conformity ("looking street").

Looking "street" on my front porch while I'm not home warrants a call to the cops, end of story. What is the alternative, shoot them? Or are you suggesting that they had a right to be there?

guilty as charged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom