average wait for new LTC by town

[/The licensing authority shall, within 40 days from the date of application, either approve the application and issue the license or deny the application and notify the applicant of the reason for such denial in writing; provided, however, that no such license shall be issued unless the colonel has certified, in writing, that the information available to him does not indicate that the possession of a firearm or large capacity firearm by the applicant would be in violation of state or federal law.

QUOTE]

This part, in particular, seems to be the biggest problem with delays.

[bow]
What the above clearly fail to grasp is that:

1. That section applies to submission of prints; NOT issuance of a denial or license; and

2. Non-compliance with said section is evidence of the chief's action being "arbitrary and capricious or otherwise not according to law" - the standard of review for a license appeal.

Take up a collection and buy yourselves a clue.

Sorry your High ASS [bow]

I just got a voice mail message from Michelle while I was out earlier today, so I'm heading out again to pick up my renewal. Turned in the application in early November, but problems with the wonderful state IT system prevented them from getting application, prints and photo into MIRCS until about 10 days ago. At least we're still bright green under the new chief.

Ken

whoa. You got me beat by 2 months.

Yeah, originally they told me 10-12 weeks. At week 12 I called and they told me 2 more weeks as things were really backed up in Boston and it hadn't been processed yet. [angry] Two weeks later still nothing. I gave up on calling and stopped by the PD every other week until one glorious day it was there waiting for me. It got to the point where I didn't even have to say what I was there for, they just knew. Let's just say I'll be renewing a year in advance!

Wife's wait time...

Winchendon, About 9 weeks, course that was mid october to almost end of December. Lots of Holiday stuff going on then...[rolleyes]

Cambridge, MA: Applied Nov 30th and rec'd LTC A on December 27th. Small delay because of the holiday....

Cross post, but -
It took me 18 days in Waltham. Dad has been waiting 24 days.
I know it's not much of a difference, but mine was ready before the 3 week time frame the LO suggested. And it's been 3 days past that for my dad.

I am not "typical", thus I don't report statistics that apply to me and may not apply to the average person in my town. When you are involved in town gov't and well-known in a town, you may be treated differently even if you don't ask for it or know about it.

What I can say is that "time" seems to be highly variable and the reasons are probably equally highly variable.

- In most towns the "licensing officer/clerk" is just a small part of a person's job and if events happen that need that person's attention, the licensing part may well take a back seat for days/weeks/months! e.g. person out sick, vacation, sent off for specialized training, etc.

- I've yet to work with any PO that "enjoyed" paperwork! As a human being we tend to put off things that we don't like to do. I'm sure that this is an unconscious contributor to the extended times some people report.

- Events happen at the state level too that can contribute to delays. e.g. re-assigning people that were doing the state-side paperwork on LTCs/FIDs, lay-offs, vacations, etc.

I can tell you that in my/our case, we've seen renewals take as little as <4 weeks to as much as 3 months over the past 10 years. One time my Wife's renewal took almost 3 months (and my Lt. apologetically told me that the state was backed up - I have no reason to disbelieve him), last time for my Wife it took ~6 weeks to the interview and the LTC came a few weeks later. Last time mine took <4 weeks. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the timing from what I can tell. I do think that MIRCS does improve the timing however. [My Wife's last renewal was thru MIRCS, mine wasn't as they didn't have the camera set up yet.]

I applied (new application) in Mid December. Today is April 15th. They said "everything looks good" at the time of reviewing the application and interview. Nothing so far. The only information I have is from the bank, who said my $100 check came in during late January. Town is south of Boston ("red" based on the list). Hope that is useful. Tough situation, as my instincts tell me the last thing one wants to do is tick off the local officer handing things. Would be great just to be able to check status though --there has to be a better way that's more transparent and fair.

I applied (new application) in Mid December. Today is April 15th. They said "everything looks good" at the time of reviewing the application and interview. Nothing so far. The only information I have is from the bank, who said my $100 check came in during late January. Town is south of Boston ("red" based on the list). Hope that is useful. Tough situation, as my instincts tell me the last thing one wants to do is tick off the local officer handing things. Would be great just to be able to check status though --there has to be a better way that's more transparent and fair.

you've posted this in two threads, and not answered my questions in the third one(don't see why you want to bring 2 threads from the dead).

a) where are you located(exact town)
b) why aren't you calling the CHSB?

Green Marshfield My brother 6 days including weekend, 4 of my co-workers 5 days including weekend, my gf's father 7 days total. monday to monday.

Back
Top Bottom