• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

average wait for new LTC by town

I'm just looking for a general idea of how long it took people to get their ltc from the local police dept? I've been waiting almost 3 months, they keep telling me about how the state makes them. they also claim to have a huge backlog of people waiting. this will be my fourth renewal but it is kind of freaking me out. the last couple times it was a 20 minute affair and I left with a license in hand right from the station.

My fiance just recieved hers in a VERY VERY GREEN town. The wait was 8 weeks. She applied the week before Thanksgiving so there were a lot of holidays in the way.

I'm at 7 weeks right now and nothing [hmmm]

I plan on calling after 8 weeks [thinking]

Edit to add: we are in the same town [sad2]

Last edited:
LTC Renewal time

It has been taking about two weeks for renewals in Marion and about three to four weeks for first time issues.

commandcaddy

Does anyone really know why it seems to take anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks after the fingerprints and photo's?

My wait was 100 days exactly. Call you state senator/rep. and inform GOAL. It took a call from my senator (Brewer) to the local PD to get my permit to issue.

Last edited:
Does anyone really know why it seems to take anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks after the fingerprints and photo's?

If the Police Department does not submit the info right away it takes longer. I know I was told it was going to be submitted the same day because he had a couple to submit and liked to do them in batches to make it easier to keep track of.

MGL c. 140, s. 131(e):

Within seven days of the receipt of a completed application for a license to carry or possess firearms, or renewal of same, the licensing authority shall forward one copy of the application and one copy of the applicant's fingerprints to the colonel of state police, who shall within 30 days advise the licensing authority, in writing, of any disqualifying criminal record of the applicant arising from within or without the commonwealth and whether there is reason to believe that the applicant is disqualified for any of the foregoing reasons from possessing a license to carry or possess firearms.

MGL c. 140, s. 131(e):

Within seven days of the receipt of a completed application for a license to carry or possess firearms, or renewal of same, the licensing authority shall forward one copy of the application and one copy of the applicant's fingerprints to the colonel of state police, who shall within 30 days advise the licensing authority, in writing, of any disqualifying criminal record of the applicant arising from within or without the commonwealth and whether there is reason to believe that the applicant is disqualified for any of the foregoing reasons from possessing a license to carry or possess firearms.

A Law with no penalty for violating it, is no law at all.

MGL c. 140, s. 131(e):

This passage is printed out in massive quanitities on long rolls by the state and placed in police department bathrooms all over the commonwealth... [crying]

MGL c. 140, s. 131(e):

[laugh2][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

What the above clearly fail to grasp is that:

1. That section applies to submission of prints; NOT issuance of a denial or license; and

2. Non-compliance with said section is evidence of the chief's action being "arbitrary and capricious or otherwise not according to law" - the standard of review for a license appeal.

Take up a collection and buy yourselves a clue.

Back
Top Bottom