• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Average time frame for first snow in northern NE.

Anyone know about when the first real snow occurs? Just trying to plan out things. We had hoped for a summer move to Vermont, but we are stuck with next week timeframe.

October? November? White Christmas?

What say you?

New England has fall for only around a month. Otherwise, it's just summer directly into winter.

The only thing predictable about weather in new england is that it is very unpredictable.

It usually holds out til after halloween. last couple years have been pretty light until january. but this is new england. up north will be more wintery. if you're not used to it, take extra care driving.

Don't know about Maine but we were at Jay Peak in VT. one Columbus Day a few years back and were getting heavy wet snow and windy conditions.

Up north in the border areas, a dusting of snow in October isn't unusual, sometimes up to an inch or two.

But that doesn't really count as snow up here, and it will disappear in a couple of days. You'll have several snowy days that are worth plowing in November, not much in early December, and it really gets going around Christmas. February is the heaviest snow month.

Up north in the border areas, a dusting of snow in October isn't unusual, sometimes up to an inch or two.

But that doesn't really count as snow up here, and it will disappear in a couple of days. You'll have several snowy days that are worth plowing in November, not much in early December, and it really gets going around Christmas. February is the heaviest snow month.

Awesome! Thanks guys!

Thanks to all!

First snow, or first snow that hangs around. Maine will sometimes get a dusting in Sept/Oct, but it's gone the next day or two. Just get a set of winter tires. I suggest Blizzaks, they treated me well without needing studs in the mountains of Maine. Put them on late October and don't sweat it.

You'll want to purchase as many skidoo snowmobiles you can afford promptly after arriving. Come spring time, you'll want a can am outlander ATV and maybe even a commander sxs. Toys toys toys!

First snow, or first snow that hangs around. Maine will sometimes get a dusting in Sept/Oct, but it's gone the next day or two. Just get a set of winter tires. I suggest Blizzaks, they treated me well without needing studs in the mountains of Maine. Put them on late October and don't sweat it.
Thank you brother! I will check those out! My list is getting long... lol!!!!

You'll want to purchase as many skidoo snowmobiles you can afford promptly after arriving. Come spring time, you'll want a can am outlander ATV and maybe even a commander sxs. Toys toys toys!
But but that will eat into the gun budget!!! lol!!! :D we plan on at least one used snowmobile if feasible. May have to wait until next year with a brand new home and all that we will need to establish there.... so much to do... but I am happy to be in your backyard!

Anyone know about when the first real snow occurs? Just trying to plan out things. We had hoped for a summer move to Vermont, but we are stuck with next week timeframe.

October? November? White Christmas?

What say you?

There is no way to accurately predict this this far out.. Sometimes first snow is in December, sometimes November.. we even have had nor'easters late october.

Late Oct to any time in Nov is the norm for dustings up to about 6 inches but as said it doesn't hang around for long but the water and cold help freeze the ground tight and that makes for great trails. A dumping of snow on unfrozen ground sucks for the driveway and dirt roads as well.

My Parents live in NEK (northeast kingdom) Vermont. The first coating up to maybe 1-2" of snow is OFTEN before the end of October. IMO any time after the 3rd week of October or so, anything can happen.

Don't know what part of VT you'll be moving to - but VT gets a LOT of snow. Every other car on the road is a Subaru. Beautiful state. But man - expect several feet on the ground from pretty much Dec until late March. If buying a house get a roof rake.

Over the last 4 years, I've seen snow as early as the week before Samhain (Halloween) on the App Gap. Down lower, figure you've got another week... maybe.

My Hakkapellitas go on at Samhain and come off at Beltane. That USUALLY has me covered.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom