• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Average Ammo Count per Range Trip?

Your chief gets the double douche award. I got a log for him and it is filled with nuts and a couple of peas. God I'm glad I moved out of that shit pit. [rolleyes]

Tell him you shoot only 50 BMG indoors and produce a log showing thousands of rounds over the past year. That will get his attention.

1. Buy bulk pack of .22LR
2. Drive to range.
3. Dump entire box on the ground without getting out of the car.
4. Log going through 500 rounds at the range.
5. ???
6. Move the F out of that town.
7. Profit.

First, it is an astoundingly stupid requirement, but if making up a BS log will get your restrictions removed, then go for it.

I go to the range 1-2 times per week, and I have absolutely gone to the range and shot less than 100 rounds per trip. If I am shooting the Garand, I might shoot 3-4 clips (24-32 rounds), and then I'll put a few mags through one of the Mosins (15-20 rounds). Maybe a couple stripper clips through one of the SKSs (20-30 rounds).

This is with shooting a clip, taking a walk down to the 100 yard berm, admiring my excellent marksmanship [crying], walking back up, and shooting some more.

I used to go and dump mag after mag out of the ARs and AKs, but now I spend a lot more time aiming, seeing what I hit, and picking up my brass. It's a lot cheaper that way, and I enjoy my range time just as much.

On an average range trip, I might bring a box of .38 (50), a box maybe 2 of 9mm, and at least 100-200 rounds for the AR because honestly that goes quick. Once in a while I mix it up with a box of .357, but that gets expensive fast. In total 200 on the low side, and maybe 450-500 on the high side. That will last a good solid hour of shooting. I try to go once a week. I am finding it harder to hit the range with all of the holidays and holiday parties to attend.

When I first started going to the range and I only owned my revolver, I would take a box of .38 and honestly for the first month or two I was lucky if I could make it through a box. So maybe 20-30 when I started. Now I can shoot that revolver all day, but back in the beginning, it was rough.

Last edited:
200 rounds is about all I can do because my thumbs get chewed up stuffing those 9mm's into the mags.

As far as a log goes, they're only good in fire places and wood stoves.

I'd challenge the chief to a match, best score out of 50 rds, if you win he removes restrictions immediately, no questions asked and reimburses you for the ammo and targets.

If you lose, you sue him.

He'd never live it down.

I go to the range at least once a week - sometimes twice. Typical visit lasts about two hours and goes something like this.

Arrive at range and unload my stuff - 5-10 minutes.

Check out what everyone else is shooting. If I see a new gun or someone with any kind of full auto gun ask owner 20 questions about it and stare at it longingly until they offer to let me try it - 10-15 minutes.

Put up targets and shoot slow fire 5-10 rounds at a time - 30-40 minutes.

Wait for another cease fire and collect targets - tell everyone how much better I shot a couple of days ago when no one was around and I was using my other gun, different ammo, it wasn't as windy, etc. - 10 minutes.

Bitch with other shooters about the cost/unavailability of ammo. Reminisce about the good old days when you could buy 1000 rounds of .308 on stripper clips, in ammo cans, delivered to your door for less than the last batch of .22's I bought. Generally try to outdo other shooters with either the quantity of ammo I was smart enough to buy back then or the ridiculously low price I paid for said ammo - 30-45 minutes.

Pack up guns, pick up my brass (and as much of everyone else's as I can get away with) and head out - 10 minutes.

Total time at range: 95-140 minutes.

Total rounds fired: 50-100

BTW - I agree that a log book is ridiculous.

I have my LTC-A with restrictions unless hunting & sporting. Police Chief said he would like to see a range log when he issued my LTC a few years ago before he would consider removing restrictions. Believe he said at least once a week or no less than once a month for the log range visits? Considering the price of ammo, I was wondering how much ammo do some of the recreational shooters here bring on an average range trip? For my indoor 9mm pistol shooting I usually bring 100 rounds each trip. Just seems like the ammo can add-up very costly for a frequent weekly range trip.

Sue the Chief for the BS restrictions and monkey ass shit. Range logs ..WTF

Personally, I try to stay at 200/200 depending on what I am working on.

I also think you should fling a hand full of poo in that cops face next time you see him.

Quality, not quantity [smile]

Quantity has a quality all its own.

7-A1622B.jpg

Get an Uplula mag loader!

Someone asks you what you want for Christmas, that's your answer.

^ This.

The Bride went from "I can't load this 1911 mag" to "Ooh, let me!".

20% off at Cabela's from tomorrow (Thursday, 17-Dec'15 through Christmas Eve).

One round.

That's all it takes to achieve perfection.

Has Brent and/or Rob seen this thread yet? Did they know this was going on in Foxboro?

Cost you less to move to NH, than to push that case through court only to lose it. MA courts don't care about your 2A rights. You're suitability fully puts those kinds of things well within the rights of each CoP.

What is a range log? Like when you sign in at a club/indoor range?

Depending on what I'm shooting I go by the old saying of 'boys count, men drink' unless we're talking 270 or pricier rounds. God bless 22 LR and cheap 9mm!

Back
Top Bottom