Atlanta Police Fatally Shoot Black Man in the Back at Wendy's Drive-Thru

Any source for your statement? Wouldn’t blame any of those fine coppers for throwing in the towel, but I can’t find a news site that corroborates what you are saying. I definitely could be wrong so forgive my ignorance; I’ve just had a hard time finding proof. Thanks.
I'm seeing several sources on Twitter. I can't verify any of them at this point, I'll post up when I see a verified report.

1592439974096.png

1592440015901.png

1592440312894.png

I'm seeing several sources on Twitter. I can't verify any of them at this point, I'll post up when I see a verified report.

View attachment 366168

View attachment 366169

Thanks for posting!

This? This is interesting...

Thanks for posting!

This? This is interesting...

Yes, looks like the same as what I'm seeing. Lots of minor league "reporters", haven't seen a big name yet.

I agree with Woodsy, there are plenty of examples of bad shoots and officer overreaction - this ain’t it.

The worm has turned though, and cops will be strung up in the court of public opinion for cuffing someone that they get marks from.

I don’t blame any cops walking out, quitting or calling in sick - I do place some blame where they knew certain guys were/are bad and they dummied up some reports or looked the other way WHICH IS HOW WE GOT HERE. George Floyd was the straw and now the camel can‘t carry anything.

Who tf is passed out in a running car at 0.108?
Give my wife half a glass of white wine, and someone better move over so she can take a nap.

The driver here reportedly didn't drink often. It was late, he was tired. "Fell asleep" is not the same as "passed out drunk".

I imagine we have quite a few people here on NES who are experienced enough to fake it at three times the legal limit. We probably also have some who would be blotto at half the limit.

Give my wife half a glass of white wine, and someone better move over so she can take a nap.

The driver here reportedly didn't drink often. It was late, he was tired. "Fell asleep" is not the same as "passed out drunk".

I imagine we have quite a few people here on NES who are experienced enough to fake it at three times the legal limit. We probably also have some who would be blotto at half the limit.
"Fell asleep" behind the wheel of a car in the middle of a parking lot surrounded by people? LOL cmon.

A felon attacks an officer grabs his taser and runs off. While running he turns and shoots back at the officer, officer has a millisecond to decide is it a gun the per had? My taser? He drops the perp. I don’t see Murder in this case.

Exactly. And you know when Woods and I are agreeing there might be some prosecutor's overreach

Seconded.
FYI. The County DA is in a tight election race for his position. He came in second in the DemocRat primary last week and now faces an uphill runoff battle. Note that there's no R in the mix so the D primary is the race.
Willis also called out Howard for “incompetence and corruption.”
Howard has been criticized by Atlanta Police Chief Erika Shields and the International Brotherhood of Police Officers over his decision to charge six police officers for the violent arrest of two Atlanta college students who were tazed and pulled from their car during demonstrations over the death of George Floyd at the hands of Minneapolis police.
Howard’s campaign also has been challenged by accusations of sexual harassment and retaliation raised by two women who worked in his office—claims he has denied. He is also under investigation by the state ethics commission over alleged campaign financial disclosure law violations.
She also contended that Howard, instead of focusing on progressive criminal justice initiatives, focused instead on “avoiding accountability” for bolstering his salary with nonprofit funds in a potential violation of state campaign finance laws and in efforts to defend two sexual harassment complaints.
Found other reports of accusations of selective prosecution of both civilians and LEOs as well as charges of hasty, over-charging.

IMNSHO this felony murder charge, and maybe many (all?) of the other charges, have much more to do with election season politics than actual justice.

Apparently he kicked him in the head after he shot him. That cannot bode well and certainly hurts his case.

Exactly. And you know when Woods and I are agreeing there might be some prosecutor's overreach

If I understand it correctly, he is being charged with felony murder?

O.C.G.A. 16-5-1 (2010)
16-5-1. Murder; felony murder

(a) A person commits the offense of murder when he unlawfully and with malice aforethought, either express or implied, causes the death of another human being.

(b) Express malice is that deliberate intention unlawfully to take the life of another human being which is manifested by external circumstances capable of proof. Malice shall be implied where no considerable provocation appears and where all the circumstances of the killing show an abandoned and malignant heart.

(c) A person also commits the offense of murder when, in the commission of a felony, he causes the death of another human being irrespective of malice.

Felony murder seems to be part c. I'm struggling to see what the underlying felony is. I don't see how this applies. Presumably, the arrest was legal. While I don't think shooting him was an appropriate use of force or justified, I do not see how it constitutes felony murder. In fact, murder (parts a and b of the statute) would actually seem more appropriate, though I still think is a stretch and would be extremely hard to overcome the "no considerable provocation" element.

Now the article above states he's also being charged with several other crimes. Aggravated assault (for the kick) and violating his oath (for not rendering aid). Those certainly seem appropriate.

I haven't yet seen the full video of what happened after the shooting, which may help explain the charges.

Apparently he kicked him in the head after he shot him. That cannot bode well and certainly hurts his case.

If I understand it correctly, he is being charged with felony murder?

Felony murder seems to be part c. I'm struggling to see what the underlying felony is. I don't see how this applies. Presumably, the arrest was legal. While I don't think shooting him was an appropriate use of force or justified, I do not see how it constitutes felony murder. In fact, murder (parts a and b of the statute) would actually seem more appropriate, though I still think is a stretch and would be extremely hard to overcome the "no considerable provocation" element.

Now the article above states he's also being charged with several other crimes. Aggravated assault (for the kick) and violating his oath (for not rendering aid). Those certainly seem appropriate.

I haven't yet seen the full video of what happened after the shooting, which may help explain the charges.

If you want to chsrge him with the last two (assuming they have video) fine. But the murder charge is bullshit.

If you want to chsrge him with the last two (assuming they have video) fine. But the murder charge is bullshit.

I was thinking so too, though here is the explanation of them. They are saying the underlying felony is aggravated assault. He apparently put rounds into a occupied vehicle.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mnr1CG8tvLc

I'm not sure I agree, but it makes a bit more sense now.

Here's longer unedited footage of the incident. It's very bizarre really.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhdpG2XzRXQ

Last edited:
I was thinking so too, though here is the explanation of them. They are saying the underlying felony is aggravated assault. He apparently put rounds into a occupied vehicle.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mnr1CG8tvLc

I'm not sure I agree, but it makes a bit more sense now.

Here's longer unedited footage of the incident. It's very bizarre really.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhdpG2XzRXQ

That is a giant stretch if unimaginable proportions. Aggravated Assault for the bullet hitting a fender? What was the angle of impact? Was it a ricochet? Does it even matter if the officer thought the guy had a gun and not a taser?

They are grasping at straws here to bootstrap someone.

That is a giant stretch if unimaginable proportions. Aggravated Assault for the bullet hitting a fender? What was the angle of impact? Was it a ricochet? Does it even matter if the officer thought the guy had a gun and not a taser?

They are grasping at straws here to bootstrap someone.

O.C.G.A. 16-5-21 (2010)
16-5-21. Aggravated assault

(a) A person commits the offense of aggravated assault when he or she assaults:

(2) With a deadly weapon or with any object, device, or instrument which, when used offensively against a person, is likely to or actually does result in serious bodily injury;

Having watched the full body camera video (up to the shooting), I feel bad for the cops. For forty minutes they handled the situation perfectly. It's a good example of how things can quickly go to hell in a handbasket. The cop who shot him made two critical mistakes.

1. He never told him he was under arrest. Instead he grabbed his wrist and said "would you put your hands behind your back for me". Seems minor, but it's not how it is to be done according to their policy:

At the time of arrest, the arresting officer(s) will:
a. Identify himself or herself as a police officer, visually and/or verbally;
b. Inform the arrestee of the reason for their arrest;
c. Handcuff the person with the handcuffs “double locked”;
d. Immediately upon handcuffing, pat down the arrestee for weapons

2. From what I read, he is claiming he thought he might be armed. That is not credible. He personally did a pat down for weapons already. This is important because he's only authorized to use deadly force when:

An employee may use deadly force to apprehend a suspected felon only when:
1. He or she reasonably believes that the suspect possesses a deadly weapon or any object, device, or instrument which, when used offensively against a person, is likely to or actually does result in serious bodily injury and when he or she reasonably believes that the suspect poses an immediate threat of serious bodily injury to the officer or others; or
2. When there is probable cause to believe that the suspect has committed a crime involving the infliction or threatened infliction of serious physical harm (O.C.G.A. Section 17-4-20) and the employee reasonably believes that the suspect’s escape would create a continuing danger of serious physical harm to any person.

Now if an electronic control weapon (taser), is defined as a less lethal weapon, and not a deadly weapon, then shooting him just because his partner is being tased may not be a valid justification according to policy. I'm sure regardless, it will be argued he felt the taser did poses a threat of seriously bodily injury to the officer. Of course if he is to argue the taser is deadly force, then he himself using the taser firstly would also be a use of deadly force, which would be an excessive use of force in the first place. That puts him in a tough position...

3. If he delayed medical assistance, which I have no idea about as I haven't seen video past the shooting, that's also a problem for him.

Employees will make appropriate medical aid and/or assistance available to all persons who have a physical injury or when injury is likely to have occurred due to an employee’s use of force. 4.3.2 Medical aid and/or assistance will be provided in a timely manner or as soon as practical without further endangering the employee or others.

Last edited:
1. He never told him he was under arrest. Instead he grabbed his wrist and said "would you put your hands behind your back for me". Seems minor, but it's not how it is to be done according to their policy:

Wondering if he wasn't going to make an arrest, simply let the guy sleep it off in the drunk tank?

Put me in front of the tv for more than five minutes and I pass out.....sober!!!

Back
Top Bottom