Atlanta Police Fatally Shoot Black Man in the Back at Wendy's Drive-Thru

So, preferring to manage a situation to avoid shooting a drunk driver makes one "woke"?
So I'm guess you are agreeing with the rest just not the "woke" part? I'm not a cop nor would I want to be one. I'm not sure what you do for a living but you refer to "manage" a situation like this as some guy's are in the break room kicking around a hacky sack deciding on the best way to not get shot with your own taser. It all comes down to accountability. Don't put yourself in a situation that gives the neanderthals the opportunity to "mismanage" this type of misunderstanding.

The dead fella's family lawyer was on tv arguing the police should have just let him walk away.

Is this the new normal? Police allow people suspected of drunk driving or other crimes to just walk away and go home? Hell might was well get rid of jails too!

It feels like people are now trying to not just eliminate police, but eliminate criminal offenses.

The dead fella's family lawyer was on tv arguing the police should have just let him walk away.

Is this the new normal? Police allow people suspected of drunk driving or other crimes to just walk away and go home? Hell might was well get rid of jails too!

It feels like people are now trying to not just eliminate police, but eliminate criminal offenses.

If you look a number of posts in this and other threads, that's precisely the kind of blind eye cops have been turning to drunkenness (usually underage, but not always) in some towns for many decades now. Where I teach, it's a well-known art form: get caught, cops call around to make sure there's a place for you to go, then they let you stumble off. That's not a "new normal" there; it's the "old normal," and it probably works better than what happened in Atlanta the other night.

How many stories are you aware of in New England towns where the police get called to a party and there are droves of passed-out drunk kids? Ain't a one of them gets a ticket; they sleep it off. It's common, and the police are allowing it to happen because they're not robots.

Well a certain group has had a a millennia to prove that they can operate in a civil society and have failed to do so. If the anointed ones cant live by society's rules then obviously the solution is to get rid of the rules. :rolleyes:

If you look a number of posts in this and other threads, that's precisely the kind of blind eye cops have been turning to drunkenness (usually underage, but not always) in some towns for many decades now. Where I teach, it's a well-known art form: get caught, cops call around to make sure there's a place for you to go, then they let you stumble off. That's not a "new normal" there; it's the "old normal," and it probably works better than what happened in Atlanta the other night.

How many stories are you aware of in New England towns where the police get called to a party and there are droves of passed-out drunk kids? Ain't a one of them gets a ticket; they sleep it off. It's common, and the police are allowing it to happen because they're not robots.

Agree with this.

I would go further and say the cops dont hassle these kids because they are mostly white and from "good families". But I'm not arguing that the atlanta incident was racist, it wasnt. It was incompetent cops who should be able to detain someone especially when its 2 on one. At the very least, they should be able to not let their taser gets grabbed. If the cops cannot do the most basic duties, then they are a dangerous liability to the community.

Wow. Were these the exact same two cops from Atlanta? No? Well then, it's almost like people are individuals and act differently in different situations rather than like a bunch of robots programmed from the factory.
How about read the quote that I quoted, then you'd understand.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.
I've dealt with enough criminals who will tell you straight out , they don't think they did anything wrong, it's just the "Pigs" keeping them down.
So what if I popped the store clerk while robbing the place .
He had money and I wanted it.
It's the damn cops fault i'm sitting in prison.

The funny thing is most of the people who advocate anarchy would be the ones that wouldn't last ten minutes if it came to pass.

As far as I know it was the norm back in the day. And I get giving KIDS a break and not ruining their lives etc over being young and stupid. (Passed out at a party isn't the same as behind the wheel of a vehicle) But a guy with a record who then decides to fight the cops and disarm one is a whole other thing. I'm not saying he deserved to die. But you're comparing apples to bananas.

Last edited:
What happens if yoget aazer

As far as I know it was the norm back in the day. And I get giving KIDS a break and not ruining their lives etc over being young and stupid. (Passed out at a party isn't the same as behind the wheel of a vehicle) But a guy with a record who then decides to fight the cops and disarm one is a whole other thing. I'm not saying he deserved to die. But you're comparing apples to bananas.

True, but I guess my point is that I don't NEED to be comparing apples to bananas. The changes coming (it seems) to policing will, maybe, help ensure that.

I think allowing the dude in Atlanta to have someone come pick him up would have been a perfectly acceptable outcome, and definitely better than what actually happened. Give him a ticket, if you like.

But that's the problem with EVERYTHING. Where do you draw the line? It's pretty cut and dry he was breaking the law though not a violent crime. And I get giving people a chance (maybe not felons/ex-cons) and that's where those other stories come from. Some guy coming back for his car then running it into a school bus. Hitting a cop with a rock and disarming him. Then killing the cop and an innocent citizen. Thats why we have humans and not robots/judge dredds to make educated (from training and life experience) decisions. So yes the first cop was probably new and super friendly and lenient and the veteran more rigid. We're all human and make mistakes, it's called human error for a reason. I would like to think that cop didn't punch in hoping to kill a black guy(or anybody) that night. But he made a split second decision. Which cop even took the shot actually? But what's the point of laws if everyone just gets a warning? I had the pleasure of going to school in a small town like that in the 90s. You had the highschool bully cops who wanted to screw everyone but the majority of rich local kids knew all the cops and got away with everything. It may not be white privilege but there are certainly some more privaleged than others. Isn't justice supposed to be blind... Blah blah blah

Attachments

• 20200603_180249.jpg
    20200603_180249.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 5
True, but I guess my point is that I don't NEED to be comparing apples to bananas. The changes coming (it seems) to policing will, maybe, help ensure that.

I think allowing the dude in Atlanta to have someone come pick him up would have been a perfectly acceptable outcome, and definitely better than what actually happened. Give him a ticket, if you like.
Well, my one and only really negative (and it really wasn't) police interaction went along those lines. In fact, the "ride home" was already there - it was one of those "seatbelt check" idiocies Connecticut likes to do. Too much sake at dinner at the sushi bar, being driven home. Have to pee. Stopped cuz nonsense. Exited the vehicle. Hilarity ensued.

But honestly, cuz "ON THE GROUND! HANDS BEHIND YOUR HEAD!" to me translated to: (1) get on the ground, and (2) put my hands behind my head - NOT steal the cop's Taser - turned that from something less than optimal into an amusing anecdote.

...the taser was already discharged and was no longer a threat....It seemed on the video that the taser was fired at the cop from the suspect.. . ..A taser can only be fired one time before it can only be used against the skin.As far as I can tell, it was the suspect who fired the taser after he pointed it a the cops, so the cops can justify using their guns.
Many agencies, including Atlanta PD, have shifted to the Taser X2 in part because of the 2 shot capacity.

But that's the problem with EVERYTHING. Where do you draw the line? It's pretty cut and dry he was breaking the law though not a violent crime. And I get giving people a chance (maybe not felons/ex-cons) and that's where those other stories come from. Some guy coming back for his car then running it into a school bus. Hitting a cop with a rock and disarming him. Then killing the cop and an innocent citizen. Thats why we have humans and not robots/judge dredds to make educated (from training and life experience) decisions. So yes the first cop was probably new and super friendly and lenient and the veteran more rigid. We're all human and make mistakes, it's called human error for a reason. I would like to think that cop didn't punch in hoping to kill a black guy(or anybody) that night. But he made a split second decision. Which cop even took the shot actually? But what's the point of laws if everyone just gets a warning? I had the pleasure of going to school in a small town like that in the 90s. You had the highschool bully cops who wanted to screw everyone but the majority of rich local kids knew all the cops and got away with everything. It may not be white privilege but there are certainly some more privaleged than others. Isn't justice supposed to be blind... Blah blah blah

Clearly it's a problem that defies an easy fix.

In my mind, I'm separating the struggle and what came after it from Cop #2's decision to get all brusque and do the cuffin'. I'm sure both he and Cop #1 have been spending the last few days "what-if"ing extensively.

I'm separating the struggle and decision to draw and shoot. The decision to cuff again is pretty cut and dry. He's got a record and was breaking the law. You don't get a pass or a "second chance" when it's already your 3rd or 10th chance.

I'm separating the struggle and decision to draw and shoot. The decision to cuff again is pretty cut and dry. He's got a record and was breaking the law. You don't get a pass or a "second chance" when it's already your 3rd or 10th chance.

Yup, I agree, he should have been arrested, he should not have been shot.

I volunteer myself to let 3 nesr's try to put me in handcuffs after 6 beers. Dead serious. All in good fun, and we'll hug after... but everyone is gonna get hurt.

[cheers] Just because. I think you are crazy-stupid and i'll pay for some of the beverages. BTW, anyone seen "Tiny" aka Bid Daddy 45 ACP, lately?

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.
I've dealt with enough criminals who will tell you straight out , they don't think they did anything wrong, it's just the "Pigs" keeping them down.
So what if I popped the store clerk while robbing the place .
He had money and I wanted it.
It's the damn cops fault i'm sitting in prison.

The funny thing is most of the people who advocate anarchy would be the ones that wouldn't last ten minutes if it came to pass.

This. Every criminal will actually claim innocence, including those that plead guilty at trial. I actually talked in depth with a convicted diddler once. He raped his three daughters repeatedly over the course of three years before getting caught. The youngest daughter was 6 when it started. He didn't understand what was so bad because they were his daughters.

There is truly something aberrant in the criminal mind that does not want to abide polite society.

Back
Top Bottom