• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Atlanta Police Fatally Shoot Black Man in the Back at Wendy's Drive-Thru

Another thing I found interesting about watching the body cam is how the officer is treated post shooting by all other officers. How do they know that the officer didn't just start a murder spree?
If an average Joe had a justified shot like that, they would still be stripped of their firearm, cuffed and then questioned. If it was determined to be justified, the wouldn't get charged. (And in MA, you would have to fight to get your property back, but that's a whole other mess).
I'd like to see them disarm the officer, cuff him and then do their investigation. Instead, he gets sanitation wipes, bottles of water, and probably a back rub if he asked for it.
I just want equality between me and the police.

Philip Seidle, a cop, murdered his ex-wife in front of his daughter and several cops, in broad day light. The cops who witnessed it did nothing. When they eventually arrested him were giving him hugs and consoling him. Seriously. The guy chased his ex-wife off the road, walked up to the car and shot her a bunch. Then, with cops on scene, was allowed to walk back over to the car and shoot her some more. This is how cops treat other cops in fact murdering people. And oh yeah, he was allowed to plea to manslaughter.

What do you mean where did I get them? Those are people who have been shot or killed by police in questionable to clearly criminal circumstances. Fortunately a few were actually convicted of murder or manslaughter. But the vast majority were not held accountable in any way. No, my point isn't that cops aren't perfect. Obviously they aren't as obviously nobody is. My point is that when cops don't just make a mistake, but actually commit crimes that result in them killing someone, nothing happens to them. They clear themselves of wrongdoing and stick the taxpayers with the bill.

Edit:

If you are asking where the list was compiled from, me. I compiled the list from examples I've seen or read about over the past few years. Many if not most of those examples there exists video. Nearly if not all those examples have been discussed in NES even.

Kudos for maintaining that list. I think you left out John Crawford, the shopper at Walmart who was holding a bb rifle that was for sale at the store.

I live in Georgia.
I shot a Steel Challenge match yesterday at a range other than my local club.
Among other attendees were an ATF agent and his wife; a firefighter, and an airline pilot.
One of the above is "African American".
Nobody seemed to give a damn, everybody just called him "Jim".

That's the first Steel Challenge I've shot - I've shot lots of stages with only steel on them - but this is a defined course of fire. I shot PROD and CO - it was a lot of fun.

Atlanta is a Democratic shit hole.

Once again, bad encounters with police as a proportion of rate of offense happen more often to WHITE offenders than black.

Not exactly true. But so what, police acting that way is not acceptable. I would say the one in atlanta is not a case of racism, just incompetent cops. Which is worse?

Not exactly true.
Actually, it is.
Police have indeed killed many blacks, but they kill many whites as well. In fact, police kill more whites than blacks. According to the informative “Ideas & Data” blog, “In contemporary political discourse, there’s an awful lot written about black people being unfairly killed by police. Such writings are normally in response to a particular incident of this supposedly occurring. Of course, these are merely anecdotes and in a nation with 300 million people you can come up with a new anecdote every month for something that basically never happens. You can also create a general impression of racial bias if stories about white people being killed by police are less sensationalized than stories featuring black people.

If we turn from anecdotes to data, this narrative very quickly falls apart. Numerous organizations provide estimates of the rates at which black people are killed by police. Generally, these estimates are not too far off from each-other. For instance, The CDC says that around 27% of people killed by police are black. A sociologist used data from Killedbypolice.net to argue that number should be 30%. The FBI puts it at 32%.

By contrast, Black Americans account for 13% of the total population, 38% violent criminals, and 53% of murders. Black people also account for 40% of those who murder police officers, and so probably instigate around 40% of potentially lethal confrontations with the police (FBI, 2014).

Thus, black people are underrepresented among those killed by police relative to their representation among those who commit violent crimes, who commit murder, and who kill police officers.”

Blacks OFFEND at a much higher rate than anyone else in this country. That's a FACT. We can argue all day till tomorrow WHY that's a fact, but it's a FACT.

I live in Georgia.
Among other attendees were an ATF agent and his wife; a firefighter, and an airline pilot.

That's the first Steel Challenge I've shot - I've shot lots of stages with only steel on them - but this is a defined course of fire. I shot PROD and CO - it was a lot of fun.

Everyone keeps telling me there's persistent/institutional racism against blacks everywhere but for the life of me I havent seen it, dont know anyone thats racist/has spoken in a manner that would suggest it yada yada yada......people are just people

Good points. To give credit to the policing world, I'd like to think the "Pull over...bring him back tomorrow" technique is probably used all the time all over the country, and just doesn't make headlines. Though I don't really know.

Yes.... it absolutely is.

Everyone keeps telling me there's persistent/institutional racism against blacks everywhere but for the life of me I havent seen it, dont know anyone thats racist/has spoken in a manner that would suggest it yada yada yada......people are just people
I dont see any difference between blacks and whites of similar status. Meaning blue collar blacks arent living any worse off than blue collar whites. Same for white collar blacks and whites and FSA blacks and whites.

Black guy that gets his law degree is going to be better off than a white guy who drives a bus. White chick who sits in the pjs all day smoking weed and watching tv is going to be worse off than a black office worker.

As far as every day interactions, blacks are handled with kid gloves because of the rigged system we're operating in. In that sense, whites are worse off because they arent cut endless amounts of slack when they find themselves in similar situations.

I may have missed it but they got the guys ID and looked at it. He didn't seem like he was from the area. But did anyone go back to the cruiser and run his info? Isn't that what you do? Or at the very least the plates before hand. Why would someone try and run and then fight/disarm two cops just for a DUI? Especially when the car is still there and they may even have your info. Did he have warrants? Previous convictions?

I may have missed it but they got the guys ID and looked at it. He didn't seem like he was from the area. But did anyone go back to the cruiser and run his info? Isn't that what you do? Or at the very least the plates before hand. Why would someone try and run and then fight/disarm two cops just for a DUI? Especially when the car is still there and they may even have your info. Did he have warrants? Previous convictions?

Somebody was saying he was a parolee and that he was afraid of getting violated, which sounds reasonable. But I haven't checked.

A guest on the Steve Hilton Show said the taser was already discharged and was no longer a threat.

It seemed on the video that the taser was fired at the cop from the suspect.

I suspect Massad Ayoob will chime in on this.

In his class there was a talk about lethal force doctrine pertaining to certain projectile weapons.

If I recall, a defender can only use lethal force against a projectile while the projectile is IN FLIGHT.

Like if an attacker throws a knife at you - you can only use lethal force while the knife is in the air.

I know it sounds ridiculous but there is some sort of case law on this.

If the cop is being fired upon by the taser - lethal force is justified.

However, once the projectile weapon is spent - there is no longer a lethal threat against the officer.

A taser can only be fired one time before it can only be used against the skin.

Give it some time but this bizarre law, I think will come into play as this case winds through the courts.

As far as I can tell, it was the suspect who fired the taser after he pointed it a the cops, so the cops can justify using their guns.

I live in Georgia.

I shoot CO at a range in Clarksville TX. Steel Challenge is the ‘nads. Tons of fun.

I was initially part of the “good shoot” crowd. But the guy on the TV made a good point. The cops call their use of the taser as non-lethal. How can they now claim that the black guy’s use of the taser as life threatening?

If the taser is to be considered lethal from the beginning, then the person the taser pointed at them has every right to kill the person trying to kill them.

Yes. And I will add.....

When you watch the video and the “perp” fires the taser there is a flash of light when the darts deploy. So he pointed a gun like object at a police officer and there is a flash that looks like someone fired at the officer. What the hell is the officer supposed to think is going on. The fact that he was terminated the next day without any investigation or hearing is ludicrous. He deserved better.

I said it earlier in this thread and it will say it again. There will be Police Officers killed because they hesitated in a life and death situation because of all this bullsh!t.

They have to make life and death decisions in tenths of a second and everyone else has the luxury of armchair quarterbacking that decision for hours and days.

Bob
I'm sure we all remember Officer Michael Chesna from Weymouth. He decided not to shoot an "unarmed" man, who promptly hit him in the head with a rock, shot him 10 times with his own gun, and then shot and killed a 77 year old woman who witnessed it. Had Ofc. Chesna shot him, headlines would read, White Cop Shoots Unarmed Hispanic Man.

There are so many variables in this encounter that we don't know the answer to. I am confident the officer would not have shot him if he had continued to run away. He did not draw his gun until Brooks turned and fired the taser at the officer, which is evident in the video. If you are that officer are you willing to bet your life that its a taser in his hand or had he taken the second officer's gun? If it's a taser he's firing at you, plenty of departments carry the X2 which is loaded with two cartridges and can be fired twice.

This cop was not looking to kill anyone, at the beginning of the body cam when he tells Brooks to move the car you can hear him say "I don't want to deal with this." Sad ending for all parties involved.

I was initially part of the “good shoot” crowd. But the guy on the TV made a good point. The cops call their use of the taser as non-lethal. How can they now claim that the black guy’s use of the taser as life threatening?

If the taser is to be considered lethal from the beginning, then the person the taser pointed at them has every right to kill the person trying to kill them.
I th9nk it's less lethal not non lethal. People die from being tazed. Its just an option other than a gun

I can tell you right now all the news media is brainwashing the shit out of everyone with this story. The dudes wife says its murder, soooooo...... It's murder.

They don't even show the whole video. I'm not a fan of JBT but I suspect these police departments should ban together and f***ing quit. At least for 1 month.... Let's see what the happens.

I dont see any difference between blacks and whites of similar status. Meaning blue collar blacks arent living any worse off than blue collar whites. Same for white collar blacks and whites and FSA blacks and whites.

Black guy that gets his law degree is going to be better off than a white guy who drives a bus. White chick who sits in the pjs all day smoking weed and watching tv is going to be worse off than a black office worker.

As far as every day interactions, blacks are handled with kid gloves because of the rigged system we're operating in. In that sense, whites are worse off because they arent cut endless amounts of slack when they find themselves in similar situations.
I almost feel like my black neighbors [in the suburbs] are trying to keep a low profile right now. I would guess they dont want any undue criticism in a predominantly white area. I'm only speculating. Super nice people and glad to have them as neighbors.

The only BLM signs you see are from white folks houses.... The irony.

The guy was a bad guy. He was fighting with the cops, and managed to get a taser away from them - I’ll say good shoot IN NORMAL TIMES.

I guess the cop has been charged, the chief quit and riots continue.

Even 2 months ago, this would have been a non-story. Because things have been wound so tight, you get this. The press are stoking the flames as ‘Orange Man Bad’ and to make sure people don’t see and don’t cover 0bama-Gate.

I th9nk it's less lethal not non lethal. People die from being tazed. Its just an option other than a gun

This.

Question for the cops: how quickly in a struggle such as theirs are officers these days told to go to the tazer? In this case, it seemed to me that it happened right off the bat. Is that normal?

It's also what can happen next: if the cop is tased and incapacitated, then the suspect can get the cop's gun.

The vast majority of these issues stem from government creating bad situations because of direct or indirect effects of laws that should never have existed in the first place.

A police officer from Weymouth Police Department in Massachusetts was shot and killed by his own service weapon by a man who eventually went on to use the same gun to kill an elderly woman inside her own home, according to reports. 42-year-old Michael Chesna was reportedly shot on duty while responding to a call of an erratic driver. Chesna found a crashed BMW and a suspect who was vandalizing a home in Weymouth. The officer drew his service weapon and asked the perpetrator to stop.

The 20-year-old suspect, who was identified as Emanuel Lopes, reportedly threw a rock at the officer's head, which made him unconscious. Norfolk District Attorney Michael Morrissey said that Lopes then grabbed the officer's gun and shot him repeatedly in the head and chest, at least 10 times, according to the Associated Press.

Watching the pre-struggle part of the video, I would never expected his next actions. I feel for the guy... stupid action cost him his life...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom