Atlanta Police Fatally Shoot Black Man in the Back at Wendy's Drive-Thru

This. Every criminal will actually claim innocence, including those that plead guilty at trial. I actually talked in depth with a convicted diddler once. He raped his three daughters repeatedly over the course of three years before getting caught. The youngest daughter was 6 when it started. He didn't understand what was so bad because they were his daughters.

There is truly something aberrant in the criminal mind that does not want to abide polite society.
1592398727693.png

Cop is being charged with Felony Murder. I think the shoot was good, not ideal - not super clean - but justifiable.

We ended up here because of years of stuff that was swept under the rug - and now every cop who gets into one of these situations is going to hang.

That damn pendulum.

Well, after BLM pushes enough normal people to demand an end to . The police could be reasonable and just do their jobs, but that won’t happen either - they will want payback.

Unless we have real reform and a break in the chain, we are not going have peace.

One of the cops is a witness for the prosecution.

The DA stated it was illegal to shoot the taser at a fleeing suspect.
The DA stated it is illegal to shoot at a fleeing suspect.
The DA stated the deceased was never told he was under arrest before the altercation.

Mush more. I am sure video summary will be out soon with MSM spin.

I'm surprised they're charging murder. Is "felony murder" the same thing in GA as it is here? If so, what's the underlying felony?

I'm thinking that's an impossible conviction in most times, and still difficult now. I'd think they'd get a manslaughter conviction fairly easily right now.

I'll be honest, if I was a juror in this case, I'd need some convincing to go for felony murder.

Are there any situations where it's authorized to shoot a fleeing suspect, especially in the back?
I'd think if someone was turned and shooting while fleeing (like this guy was). If I'm a few steps behind some guy as hes shooting, im.just as dead if I get hit in the right spot no? Just depends on them getting a jury to believe that being shot by a taser is considered grounds to use deadly force.

I'm surprised they're charging murder. Is "felony murder" the same thing in GA as it is here? If so, what's the underlying felony?

I'm thinking that's an impossible conviction in most times, and still difficult now. I'd think they'd get a manslaughter conviction fairly easily right now.

I'll be honest, if I was a juror in this case, I'd need some convincing to go for felony murder.

I believe Georgia has two types of murder charges, "malice murder" and "felony murder." I served as a juror on a murder trial in Fulton County last fall. If I recall the defendants were charged with both malice and felony murder.

GA Code § 16-5-1 (2014)

(a) A person commits the offense of murder when he unlawfully and with malice aforethought, either express or implied, causes the death of another human being.

(b) Express malice is that deliberate intention unlawfully to take the life of another human being which is manifested by external circumstances capable of proof. Malice shall be implied where no considerable provocation appears and where all the circumstances of the killing show an abandoned and malignant heart.

(c) A person commits the offense of murder when, in the commission of a felony, he or she causes the death of another human being irrespective of malice.

(c) A person commits the offense of murder when, in the commission of a felony, he or she causes the death of another human being irrespective of malice.

Thanks! That's what I thought.

What's the underlying felony here? Anyone know?

Are there any situations where it's authorized to shoot a fleeing suspect, especially in the back?

Yes. There are a lot of situations. Basically if the person can reasonably be believed to cause immediate harm to others. He wrestled with two cops and stole a weapon. Whats to stop him from jumping in one of those running, occupied cars?

This is one of those situations where I find it pretty strange I'm defending a cop. This seems a clear cut case of a person escalating a situation on what were very well behaved and reasonable officers during the verbal interactions, field sobriety and breathalyzer. Everything in the video shows the police being calm and professional until the dude went apeshit.

I have no idea how you charge that cop with anything, let alone murder. As others have said he's now for some incredulous reason bearing the cross of other cop's misdeeds across the country.

Remember the BAC here: 0.108

That's not blotto. That's maybe buzzy for someone who doesn't drink regularly. It's just barely over the the legal limit until the feds corrupted the states to lower it to 0.08, and well within discretionary limits.

I missed them actual breathalyzing him. I thought I remembered him saying I don't want to decline anything but I could be mixing up videos.

Last edited:
Just saw on Fox news that cop being charged with murder then kicked Brooks after he was shoot on the ground and waited over 2 mins. before calling for medical assistance? Didn't see the video but that's just horrendous! No wonder the other cop is being a witness. Who the hell would ever want to be associated with that!

Haven't seen any of that video if it exists. Not sure kicking a corpse changes anything about the shooting. (Not saying it is right, just saying actions after a traumatizing event are not consequencetial to events prior).

Atlanta PD is quitting in droves. Just parking their cruisers and turning in their keys.
Any source for your statement? Wouldn’t blame any of those fine coppers for throwing in the towel, but I can’t find a news site that corroborates what you are saying. I definitely could be wrong so forgive my ignorance; I’ve just had a hard time finding proof. Thanks.

The fact that you would take pleasure in officers giving up their livelihoods & careers to cater to the masses speaks volumes to your character. I sure hope it is not true.

No, I'm pleasantly surprised that men are standing up against a mayor who has sold them out and a prosecutor who, I think, has overcharged a cop who definitely made a mistake. They're leaving because they think their overlords are prejudging them and undermining them, or so I'd assume...

Maybe I'm wrong? That's why I asked for a cite.

Back
Top Bottom