Atlanta Police Fatally Shoot Black Man in the Back at Wendy's Drive-Thru

I was thinking so too, though here is the explanation of them. They are saying the underlying felony is aggravated assault. He apparently put rounds into a occupied vehicle.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mnr1CG8tvLc

I'm not sure I agree, but it makes a bit more sense now.

Here's longer unedited footage of the incident. It's very bizarre really.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhdpG2XzRXQ

I still feel that this was a clean arrest, shooting and incident. We can't expect officers to be wizards who can view an active crime from 10 different angles and crystal balls to look into the future especially when it comes to split second decisions. So they get the guy on the ground and keep him there until they can find out what weapons he may or may not have had. All I see coming from the prosecutor is Monday morning quarterbacking and tossing someone to the mob who is out for blood. This is not the way to handle a civil society and frankly if I were an Atlanta cop I would have walked off the job too.

I was thinking so too, though here is the explanation of them. They are saying the underlying felony is aggravated assault. He apparently put rounds into a occupied vehicle.

Gee. My shocked face. When you use occupied vehicles as your backstop, that happens sometimes.

Thanks for posting; I'd been wondering about what the underlying felony was. Though I'm still wondering how creative they got in charging this. And whether the DA really expects to win the case, or just spin it out for the next election.

It looks like the rank-and-file of the Atlanta PD have decided to push back. The national MSM is clearly NOT covering this, but I found many local news people covering the blue flu:

View: https://twitter.com/atlanta_police/status/1273415926872969216

This is just a minor sampling of what I was able to quickly find. The cops seem to have divided their action into two areas. Some are just banging out as sick and not coming in at all. Others are coming in to work, but not answering radio calls from dispatch.

Edit to add.......................WRBL is the CBS affiliated news out of Columbus, Ga.

I volunteer myself to let 3 nesr's try to put me in handcuffs after 6 beers. Dead serious. All in good fun, and we'll hug after... but everyone is gonna get hurt.

A wonderful idea. I nominate Picton, Wilson911 and Bonesium.

And then Roland, weekendracer, shockwave, whatluck and myself will replay the video and Monday morning quarterback their performance.

But seeing as how they seem to know everything about how police encounters SHOULD go, I'm sure they will do just fine!

And then Roland, weekendracer, shockwave, whatluck and myself will replay the video and Monday morning quarterback their performance.

But seeing as how they seem to know everything about how police encounters SHOULD go, I'm sure they will do just fine!

I'm good. I'm not interested in tazing anyone. It's one reason I never became a cop.

How about they just let you run till your exhausted or puke your guts out while doing so and then they try to put those cuffs on you.
If not, they just arrest you the next day when your all sobered up! [rofl2]

All you have to do is handcuff Roland after he has had 6 beers. And you have 3 guys. Should be pretty easy.....right?

Just to make it more fun I'll be Roland's buddy that's there with him. Maybe I'll jump in to help him, maybe I won't..... But you have to make sure to keep an eye on me at all times while you are dealing with him.

If we want to make this simulate a real arrest we might as well make it as close to real as possible

All you have to do is handcuff Roland after he has had 6 beers. And you have 3 guys. Should be pretty easy.....right?

Just to make it more fun I'll be Roland's buddy that's there with him. Maybe I'll jump in to help him, maybe I won't..... But you have to make sure to keep an eye on me at all times while you are dealing with him.

If we want to make this simulate a real arrest we might as well make it as close to real as possible
I can hang around with a cell phone yelling "Get his license plate"

To make it realistic, it would be four or more vs one.
And if there was two of them, then the whole force would be there.
Three or more, swat would be called in.

To make it realistic, it would be four or more vs one.
And if there was two of them, then the whole force would be there.
Three or more, swat would be called in.

Sometimes it's 2 on 30 in the opposite direction. Just the other day I was doing first aid on a guy that got shot. I was the first one there. Group of people surrounding me and screaming at me while I'm trying to help this kid.

I've also been in situations where we have a 200+ person brawl and 4 cops there.

I prefer 4 cops and one suspect much more. It's much easier to make sure EVERYONE leaves the area safely, which is the goal

Everyone here agrees that an officer is able to do what ever is necessary once a perp gets combative.
First and foremost is officer safety.

The perp is fighting back without the hindsight of 2020, it is anyone's guess as to every outcome.

Once the perp is no longer a threat to an officer. They have a duty to stop their end of the physical altercation and seek aid for themselves as well as the perp.

It also means if he is running away and is not in custody that they can not shoot or harm him if he is out of reasonable range.

Look at the seriousness of the alleged criminal act and act according to the perps actions.

You don't shoot someone running away from you. Just because they stole a pack of cigarettes.

Last edited:

I'm going with Stupid hurts on this one.....

thXW113Z05.jpg

Everyone here agrees that an officer is able to do what ever is necessary once a perp gets combative.
First and foremost is officer safety.

The perp is fighting back without the hindsight of 2020, it is anyone's guess as to every outcome.

Once the perp is no longer a threat to an officer. They have a duty to stop their end of the physical altercation and seek aid for themselves as well as the perp.

I also mean if he is running away and is not in custody that they not shoot or harm him if he is out of reasonable range.

Look at the seriousness of the alleged criminal act and act according to the perps actions.

You don't shoot someone running away from you. Just because they stole a pack of cigarettes.

Cops should not be allowed to shoot thieves in the back while running. Private citizens whose property is being stolen absolutely should be allowed to.

The guy was not "running" nor did he steal anything to initiate the police interaction. He had an altercation with police while being arrested, assaulted them, stole a weapon and pointed it at an officer. That makes him a grave threat.

If I'm a cop I'm not letting a guy who just stole a taser shoot me with it so he can incapacitate me and then get my gun.

Ok, how about this one.
You break free and get back in your car while your still drunk.
We ram your car with our cruisers and as your passed out from the air bags going off and just cuff you then.

I was late to the party on this thread and just got caught up. I'll throw my 2 cents in and try to be brief about it.

1. I definitely think the cops could/should have gone a different direction other than an arrest. I probably would have tagged his car keys into property and tell him to figure the rest out, but I can't let him drive. That being said I don't know what ATL department policy is, so maybe those cops were doing as instructed. Seeing as how the guy was being compliant and not a dick, I personally probably wouldn't have arrested him. I COULD easily make multiple DUI arrests every week...... I think I have maybe 1 in the past 5 years and that's because the guy hit like 8 parked cars... He made the decision for me there. My requirement is to make sure drunk people don't drive, so I do that.

2. I don't know what GA laws are, but that's a good shoot. (Not considering the people in the cars as the backstop, that's a separate issue). First, yes a taser is less than lethal, but it can and is sometimes lethal. Cops that carry them have to go through lengthy training to even be allowed to carry them. We are not allowed to intentionally shoot someone in the upper chest or head with the taser... Because that can cause death or serious bodily harm. Too close to the heart and brain. Plus those taser probes come out pretty fast. You hit someone just right in the eye and that could be game over. The guy pointed it right at the cops head and fired. And had another cartridge to shoot too. If that were me I probably would have remembered Michael Chesna getting hit with a rock, shot 10 times with his own gun and then an innocent woman getting killed. There's a good chance I shoot that guy as well if I'm in the same situation.... But I also might not. Tough to say when I'm not ACTUALLY there.

3. Drunk driver guy made a series of terrible decisions that lead to him getting shot. Decided to drink more than he could handle, decided to drive drunk, fell asleep in the drive through, decided to fight the cops instead of taking responsibility for his decisions, stole a taser, ran, tried to shoot the cop with the taser, got shot by cops. It seems the convicted felon had a BUNCH of chances to make better decisions and didn't do it. PSGWSP

4. In no way do I think the officer(s) should have been fired as quickly as they were. Maybe they violated department policy and deserved to be fired... I don't know their dept policy. But it was CLEARLY done for political reasons to try and quell the riots.... Didn't work.

5. The felony murder and other charges are a complete joke. In my opinion, and based on what I saw on the video I would have handled that call differently than the cops on scene. But what those cops did was by no means criminal. They MAY have violated dept policy, but they very clearly didn't show up to the call with the intent to kill or hurt anyone.

6. It is my prediction cops all over the country are going to back off. More and more cases of cops getting fired, charged, ambushed etc.... This is NOT good for the many good people that live in cities and high crime areas. There won't be any proactive policing, no officer initiated calls, especially on black people... And cops are probably going to take their time responding to stuff. I'm in no way saying I think that's the right thing to do, because it's not.... But that's what's going to happen. Perfect examples recently are Ferguson and Baltimore. Crime rates there have skyrocketed. This will now likely happen everywhere. So my advice to all of you is avoid known bad areas if you are able to.

For those of you that have a poor opinion of cops I can tell you this. I know, for a FACT that most cops come in to work hoping for a nice easy day with no bullshit. Most cops don't want to have to fight some drunk guy, or chase down some kid who can run like a damn gazelle hopping fences after he broke into a house. Most guys want to come to work, grab a coffee, patrol around, chat with some people in their area, take a few reports, and go home with zero drama that day. I admit there are some hardo type guys on the job that want to get an adrenaline rush and enjoy arresting people... But the great majority of cops are just good people that want a zero bullshit day at work. Sometimes shit goes sideways and you have to rely on instincts, training and experience. Usually when situations go crazy it happens instantly. As another poster mentioned (possibly this thread, maybe a different one) there just isn't enough time and funding for cops to train and re-train in every scenario. Couple that with the fact that over the past few decades cops have been getting sent to way too much stuff like overdoses, loose dogs/animals, civil disputes... That's just more crap on our plates we have to train or learn to handle so it leaves less time for better training on stuff like use of force, firearms, vehicle operation etc.

A lot of times its a no-win situation and guys do the best they can with the best of intentions.

I said I was going to try to be brief, I failed, lol, sorry

The way some look at this, that is he was fleeing more so, than trying to kill the officer.
Was the officer in danger.
Yes, and the fact that it was said to be a less than lethal device was part of the issue.
Most don't know it has the ability to kill and that is part of the equation.

We are not in their shoes, but looking at it as a civilian in a court of law and if the situation was reversed.
We would be charged with murder.
You know they would say a taser is not a deadly weapon in the eyes of the police or courts.
That he was running away and he was x amount of feet away, unarmed.

The officer closest to the perp was running towards him. Distance is safety with any type of taser.
Given a little more distance and restraint and it may have turned out to be a non-lethal encounter.
Or the perp could have tried any number of things ending in an even more devastating result.

But you can not kill someone based on what you think their actions will be. But what their actions are in the instant you kill them.
Not an easy job and no one judging them was in their shoes at the time.

Last edited:
I was late to the party on this thread and just got caught up. I'll throw my 2 cents in and try to be brief about it.

1. I definitely think the cops could/should have gone a different direction other than an arrest. I probably would have tagged his car keys into property and tell him to figure the rest out, but I can't let him drive. That being said I don't know what ATL department policy is, so maybe those cops were doing as instructed. Seeing as how the guy was being compliant and not a dick, I personally probably wouldn't have arrested him. I COULD easily make multiple DUI arrests every week...... I think I have maybe 1 in the past 5 years and that's because the guy hit like 8 parked cars... He made the decision for me there. My requirement is to make sure drunk people don't drive, so I do that.

2. I don't know what GA laws are, but that's a good shoot. (Not considering the people in the cars as the backstop, that's a separate issue). First, yes a taser is less than lethal, but it can and is sometimes lethal. Cops that carry them have to go through lengthy training to even be allowed to carry them. We are not allowed to intentionally shoot someone in the upper chest or head with the taser... Because that can cause death or serious bodily harm. Too close to the heart and brain. Plus those taser probes come out pretty fast. You hit someone just right in the eye and that could be game over. The guy pointed it right at the cops head and fired. And had another cartridge to shoot too. If that were me I probably would have remembered Michael Chesna getting hit with a rock, shot 10 times with his own gun and then an innocent woman getting killed. There's a good chance I shoot that guy as well if I'm in the same situation.... But I also might not. Tough to say when I'm not ACTUALLY there.

3. Drunk driver guy made a series of terrible decisions that lead to him getting shot. Decided to drink more than he could handle, decided to drive drunk, fell asleep in the drive through, decided to fight the cops instead of taking responsibility for his decisions, stole a taser, ran, tried to shoot the cop with the taser, got shot by cops. It seems the convicted felon had a BUNCH of chances to make better decisions and didn't do it. PSGWSP

4. In no way do I think the officer(s) should have been fired as quickly as they were. Maybe they violated department policy and deserved to be fired... I don't know their dept policy. But it was CLEARLY done for political reasons to try and quell the riots.... Didn't work.

5. The felony murder and other charges are a complete joke. In my opinion, and based on what I saw on the video I would have handled that call differently than the cops on scene. But what those cops did was by no means criminal. They MAY have violated dept policy, but they very clearly didn't show up to the call with the intent to kill or hurt anyone.

6. It is my prediction cops all over the country are going to back off. More and more cases of cops getting fired, charged, ambushed etc.... This is NOT good for the many good people that live in cities and high crime areas. There won't be any proactive policing, no officer initiated calls, especially on black people... And cops are probably going to take their time responding to stuff. I'm in no way saying I think that's the right thing to do, because it's not.... But that's what's going to happen. Perfect examples recently are Ferguson and Baltimore. Crime rates there have skyrocketed. This will now likely happen everywhere. So my advice to all of you is avoid known bad areas if you are able to.

For those of you that have a poor opinion of cops I can tell you this. I know, for a FACT that most cops come in to work hoping for a nice easy day with no bullshit. Most cops don't want to have to fight some drunk guy, or chase down some kid who can run like a damn gazelle hopping fences after he broke into a house. Most guys want to come to work, grab a coffee, patrol around, chat with some people in their area, take a few reports, and go home with zero drama that day. I admit there are some hardo type guys on the job that want to get an adrenaline rush and enjoy arresting people... But the great majority of cops are just good people that want a zero bullshit day at work. Sometimes shit goes sideways and you have to rely on instincts, training and experience. Usually when situations go crazy it happens instantly. As another poster mentioned (possibly this thread, maybe a different one) there just isn't enough time and funding for cops to train and re-train in every scenario. Couple that with the fact that over the past few decades cops have been getting sent to way too much stuff like overdoses, loose dogs/animals, civil disputes... That's just more crap on our plates we have to train or learn to handle so it leaves less time for better training on stuff like use of force, firearms, vehicle operation etc.

A lot of times its a no-win situation and guys do the best they can with the best of intentions.

I said I was going to try to be brief, I failed, lol, sorry

Agree 100% in every way.

This sounds like an awesome party! It reminds me of this old joke...

Pardon any mistakes, I'm typing this by voice. A young guy from the city decides to buy a house out in the country. He buys the house and when hes moving in this Redneck guy walks over and introduces himself. He says hello. Welcome to neighborhood. Why dont you come over tonight.... im having a party! Theres gonna be drinking, fighting, and f***ing!

Guy says yeah! That sounds great! What should I wear?

Redneck says, whatever you want man.... its just gonna be you and me!

😛

I think what some people who aren't cops don't understand it this:

- Some people resist arrest or fight just to put on a show, these people typically won't take it too far and most times they get taken into custody safely.

- Some people resist because they are raised and taught to have a EFF the police mentality. These can go either way.

- Some people are hardened criminals that will do ANYTHING to not get arrested... ANYTHING. Some of them have weapons, some of them are great at fighting, some of them are on PCP. These situations are extremely dangerous. They come in all colors shapes and sizes and you don't know they are this type of person until shit has already gone sideways.

As a cop, once you have dealt with the 3rd type of person enough times, you begin to realize you kind of have to assume it's possible the person you are dealing with may be in this category. You know MOST people aren't like this but when someone starts fighting you can't help but think about that time you were fighting and handcuffing a guy who was reaching for multiple knives he had stashed on him and later found out he was a serial killer.

I'm sure some of you are rolling your eyes at that last sentence... well, shit is real out there people. I have dealt with some genuinely evil bastards, most cops with any time on have also. So when someone starts fighting you, you sometimes have to meet their violence with equal or greater violence

Lol, to add to my above post, which I forgot to do.

As a cop, once you have dealt with the 3rd person enough times and seen first hand how quickly shit can get out of hand and how dangerous it can you learn from your past experiences. So the next time someone wants to fight me just to put on a show for their friends they are likely to get punched in the face and slammed pretty hard because I don't know if they are person #3 and I want to end this fight quickly before it turns deadly for either of us

2. From what I read, he is claiming he thought he might be armed. That is not credible. He personally did a pat down for weapons already. This is important because he's only authorized to use deadly force when:

An employee may use deadly force to apprehend a suspected felon only when:
1. He or she reasonably believes that the suspect possesses a deadly weapon or any object, device, or instrument which, when used offensively against a person, is likely to or actually does result in serious bodily injury and when he or she reasonably believes that the suspect poses an immediate threat of serious bodily injury to the officer or others; or

Sad story all around but doesn't this close the case?

Having watched the full body camera video (up to the shooting), I feel bad for the cops. For forty minutes they handled the situation perfectly. It's a good example of how things can quickly go to hell in a handbasket. The cop who shot him made two critical mistakes.

1. He never told him he was under arrest. Instead he grabbed his wrist and said "would you put your hands behind your back for me". Seems minor, but it's not how it is to be done according to their policy:

At the time of arrest, the arresting officer(s) will:
a. Identify himself or herself as a police officer, visually and/or verbally;
b. Inform the arrestee of the reason for their arrest;
c. Handcuff the person with the handcuffs “double locked”;
d. Immediately upon handcuffing, pat down the arrestee for weapons

2. From what I read, he is claiming he thought he might be armed. That is not credible. He personally did a pat down for weapons already. This is important because he's only authorized to use deadly force when:

An employee may use deadly force to apprehend a suspected felon only when:
1. He or she reasonably believes that the suspect possesses a deadly weapon or any object, device, or instrument which, when used offensively against a person, is likely to or actually does result in serious bodily injury and when he or she reasonably believes that the suspect poses an immediate threat of serious bodily injury to the officer or others; or
2. When there is probable cause to believe that the suspect has committed a crime involving the infliction or threatened infliction of serious physical harm (O.C.G.A. Section 17-4-20) and the employee reasonably believes that the suspect’s escape would create a continuing danger of serious physical harm to any person.

Now if an electronic control weapon (taser), is defined as a less lethal weapon, and not a deadly weapon, then shooting him just because his partner is being tased may not be a valid justification according to policy. I'm sure regardless, it will be argued he felt the taser did poses a threat of seriously bodily injury to the officer. Of course if he is to argue the taser is deadly force, then he himself using the taser firstly would also be a use of deadly force, which would be an excessive use of force in the first place. That puts him in a tough position...

3. If he delayed medical assistance, which I have no idea about as I haven't seen video past the shooting, that's also a problem for him.

Employees will make appropriate medical aid and/or assistance available to all persons who have a physical injury or when injury is likely to have occurred due to an employee’s use of force. 4.3.2 Medical aid and/or assistance will be provided in a timely manner or as soon as practical without further endangering the employee or others.

Nailed it. Best post in the thread. (Except the feeling sorry for the cop. His incompetence or bad training put him in this situation.)

No problem. I'll just shoot first. Then wait while incident gets buried in an internal investigation then I'll get paid retroactively and probably promoted because of my union lawyer.

I think what some people who aren't cops don't understand it this:

Really? A civilian cant understand this? I dont think it has a lack of understanding by civilians. I think it is more a situation of many years of cops acting badly, criminally, or completely incompetently. When the cops start cleaning up their own act, maybe they can restore some of the respect they used to get (and deserved).

Nailed it. Best post in the thread. (Except the feeling sorry for the cop. His incompetence or bad training put him in this situation.)

No problem. I'll just shoot first. Then wait while incident gets buried in an internal investigation then I'll get paid retroactively and probably promoted because of my union lawyer.

Really? A civilian cant understand this? I dont think it has a lack of understanding by civilians. I think it is more a situation of many years of cops acting badly, criminally, or completely incompetently. When the cops start cleaning up their own act, maybe they can restore some of the respect they used to get (and deserved).

Yes, you should definitely continue to judge an entire group because of the actions of a very small percentage.

Yes, you should definitely continue to judge an entire group because of the actions of a very small percentage.

Ahhh, that old chestnut again. We all get it, there are good cops. What needs to happen is the good cops need to police their own. Good cops that don't root out the problems on their own force are not really good cops. Since they've never done it on their own then they deserve the reform that's coming their way.

Btw.....you're seeing it happen now. In atlanta, the good cop (non shooter) agreed to provide testimony against the maniac cop (shooter). You think that would have happened if there wasnt the enormous pressure to be transparent we have now?

Ahhh, that old chestnut again. We all get it, there are good cops. What needs to happen is the good cops need to police their own. Good cops that don't root out the problems on their own force are not really good cops. Since they've never done it on their own then they deserve the reform that's coming their way.

Btw.....you're seeing it happen now. In atlanta, the good cop (non shooter) agreed to provide testimony against the maniac cop (shooter). You think that would have happened if there wasnt the enormous pressure to be transparent we have now?

...and Charlie's new "certification" legislation says MA cops would immediately lose their certification (thus job, and career) if they fail to stop the bad cops from being bad cops.

Who knows if it passes. But whether it does or not, something similar is definitely in the mail.

Back
Top Bottom