• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Atlanta Police Fatally Shoot Black Man in the Back at Wendy's Drive-Thru

You might not turn a blind eye; you're just blind to whether or not it's wrongdoing. You said yourself that you go hard, first and fast, without even knowing what kind of person you're dealing with.

This is where your ignorance of the law and police training comes into play.

I did in fact say if someone tries to "fight" me. Once a person becomes combative I'm absolutely allowed and trained to use defensive tactics, which includes punches and takedowns. Soy response would be to punch them (mainly as a distraction) and take them down. I would then try to end it as quickly and safely as possible by cuffing them, searching them, and putting them in the cruiser. I would even provide first aid if needed.

You may not like it, I get that. You may not agree with it, I get that too. I didn't make the rules and I didn't design the force continuum. If you have a problem with that take it up with someone that makes those rules.

I'll continue to do what I was trained is acceptable and I'll do that to the best of my ability. I won't beat on a guy just cause I can. I'll use exactly the amount of force needed and allowed to get the guy into custody. No more, sometimes less, but usually exactly what I was trained to do.

I'm guessing you would prefer I just stand there and be a punching bag and ask the guy to please stop a few times before I go hands on.... Not gonna happen.

Someone fights, I'm allowed to fight back. If I was patrolling your street and observed your neighbor initiate a physical fight with you and you punched him in the face and threw him on the ground I would take him to jail and tell you "good job". My report would detail that you defended yourself.

Those are the rules

This guy was on probation right? You would have let him go and just tagged his keys? Isn't the whole probation thing his second chance?

Quite possibly. I forgot about the probation aspect of it when I was writing that post but that's mostly irrelevant. I have never arrested someone or decided to arrest someone based on their probation status.

The guy was being respectful and was a little drunk. I have a responsibility to make sure he doesn't drive. That's what I would do.

Most times I come across a DUI I give them an option. Jail / hospital / I take their keys... I've never had someone pick jail, mostly I take their keys and they call for a ride

I'll assume that every white cop is a card carrying member of the KKK and starts his shift hoping to shoot black people. What do the numbers show in terms of body count comparing police killings of dindus versus good old black on black homicide? Yeah, blacks kill more black people than cops do.

Cops also kill and arrest waaaaaaaay more men than women....

Do you think cops are out there targeting men?... or is it more likely men put themselves in scenarios where they could be killed by police or arrested moreso than women?

The more crime any person (regardless of race/gender/religion/etc) does the more their chances of having police interactions increase.

The more confrontational people are with police, the more likely something tragic happens, like someone getting killed or hurt.

If Hungarian females committed a lot of crimes and were confrontational with police the number of Hungarian females that got arrested and killed by police would be much higher.

Certain segments of society tend to commit more crimes than other segments. Some people are confrontational with police, some are compliant. The great majority of compliant people don't get hurt or killed. I wish I could say none get hurt or killed, but sadly that's not the case.

My hands are too soft to pass Civil Service, let alone ASVAB. The only thing I have going at this point is my purty mouf. I hope you can forgive me. [kiss]

On the photo, I have to assume that it exists tells us she's aware that when things get spicy she's taking a front row seat, rather than jumping in the ring. I'm pretty sure she can still be a radio operator...dispatcher...whatever the title is now.

That's almost 20" height difference, and maybe 150 lbs. At that point, I don't care what the little one has between their legs...

Meanwhile, her lack of gear tells me she's riding a desk, but it's Australia, so who knows?
Is that a standard height doorway they're standing in front of? If so, my height's a lot closer to hers than his.

Is that a standard height doorway they're standing in front of? If so, my height's a lot closer to hers than his.

I'm guessing it's one of those cutesy "tallest and shortest in the department" shots. I think he's as abnormally tall as she is short.

From looking at the photo (and having been part of similar) my guess is that's a standard door and he's between 6'6" and 6'8", she's 4'11 to 5'2", and the photographer is about 5'8" to 6'. This creates a bit of forced perspective with the slight up-shot, making him look like even more of a monster than he is.

I'm guessing it's one of those cutesy "tallest and shortest in the department" shots. I think he's as abnormally tall as she is short.
I think you're dead on here.

My hands are too soft to pass Civil Service, let alone ASVAB. The only thing I have going at this point is my purty mouf. I hope you can forgive me. [kiss]
Lol. I don't think the problem is the 'soft hands'. It could be that atrocious spelling... 🥰

On the photo, I have to assume that it exists tells us she's aware that when things get spicy she's taking a front row seat, rather than jumping in the ring. I'm pretty sure she can still be a radio operator...dispatcher...whatever the title is now.
She may be able to handle herself quite well and probably out-best much larger... In a fair fight.

Add a little meth, some bath salts and an "I'm not going back to the joint" attitude to her opponent... and she's screw'd.

Ok, a couple things...

1. Do you expect me to know how every other cop in my department performs their job? We have 3 different shifts, we have detectives, narc guys, ordinance guys, SROs.... And the city is broken down into sectors. I closely work with a handful of people and I sometimes come across other cops that work in adjoining areas during my shift. How would you propose I "do something" about a cop that I never see and never talk to, that I don't know is doing anything wrong, because I don't work with them and never see them? Please enlighten me. The fact of the matter is I just don't see wrongdoing by the guys in my unit or the guys that I occasionally see on calls. If a guy on the midnight shift that works a different area of the city beats the crap out of some guy on my day off when I'm in bed sleeping there isn't a damn thing Incan do about that. You seem to think there is, so please tell me the answer.... I mean REALLY tell me what you are thinking here, don't avoid the question, if you have the answer I'm interested.

2. I have never seen anything where I felt the need to report another cop for wrongdoing. That's not because I turn a blind eye, it's because these incidents are few and far between. But they make NATIONAL news, and they are highly publicized. So it gives people like you the impression that cops all over the place are just beating and killing people all the time. I can only influence the people I directly work with, which is a handful of guys, who all do the job the right way. If I see someone using too much force, I'll stop them, and I'll honestly testify as to what happened. If I see someone planting evidence or some other crazy thing I will GLADLY report them to my supervisor. That's really all I can do.

It's a very large country with a whole lot of cops. I work closely with about 5, and I occasionally work with maybe 10 more. That's it, out of all the cops in the world I really only interact with about 15, and they don't do shit they aren't supposed to do. So please, since you seem to think you have all the damn answers, tell me what I can do to stop some psycho cop in Minnesota, who I have never met, from kneeling on a guys neck.

Tell me how I can stop some cop in Texas from planting evidence. Tell me how to stop some cop in Boston from using excessive force. Tell me how to stop a cop in my own department, who works on the other side of the city from doing something I don't see and don't know about.

I'll wait...

Are you being willfully obtuse? Of course I'm not suggesting you need to canvas the country's PDs looking for wrongdoing. If you need good, common sense examples of how you and your cohorts have earned your current reputation, look at Bonesium's post above #496. These kind of things need to stop. The police need to change their attitude towards their employers (note: citizens are your employers AND customers), A more helpful, less threatening "esprit de corps" (look it up, I'll wait) would go along way. Police set the tone in almost all interactions, why not be less adversarial?

One observation I’ve heard after the DA announced all the charges in advance of any GBI findings or a Grand Jury, and after observing DA is under investigation and up for election in November.

“The likely outcome isn’t a murder conviction. The over-charging is just going to make people riot more when he gets found not guilty.”

Are you being willfully obtuse? Of course I'm not suggesting you need to canvas the country's PDs looking for wrongdoing. If you need good, common sense examples of how you and your cohorts have earned your current reputation, look at Bonesium's post above #496. These kind of things need to stop. The police need to change their attitude towards their employers (note: citizens are your employers AND customers), A more helpful, less threatening "esprit de corps" (look it up, I'll wait) would go along way. Police set the tone in almost all interactions, why not be less adversarial?

"Police set the tone in almost all interactions"

I don't know where you are getting your information from, but it's not accurate. Maybe during traffic stops in the suburbs that's the case. But I can tell you, from experience, that you are wrong.

You have a condescending attitude towards police. In this thread alone you have repeatedly referred to cops as dumb, untrained, goons etc. You have a negative bias towards police. You (predictably) avoided my question by trying to get me to read a post from Bonesium. You insulted my intelligence by saying I should look up the phrase "espirit de corps" again trying to imply cops are dumb. I was in the Marines for just shy of a decade, I'm very much familiar with the term.

You are a condescending dick. You think you knows how most police interactions go, yet you have never worked a day on the job. You dismiss the opinions of people (cops) who you believe are intellectually beneath you.

You are incapable of being objective when discussing a police involved incident because you are only willing to see the bad part of policing and refuse to acknowledge how many great police officers we have and all of the great work they do. To you, they are just dumb goons.

Congratulations! You are the second person to make it on to my ignore list. I hope you and bonesium enjoy your cop-hating circle jerk while you are there.

You are the type of guy that could get pulled out of a flaming car by a cop and still look down on him. The difference between me and you is I would risk my life driving at a high speed to get to your location. I would risk my safety trying to rip the car door open and reaching into the flaming car to get you out of there. I would find a way to get you to safety and work my ass off to save your life. I wouldn't give it a second thought, even though I know you hate me... And you probably wouldn't piss on me if I was on fire.

The difference between me and you is I would risk my life driving at a high speed to get to your location. I would risk my safety trying to rip the car door open and reaching into the flaming car to get you out of there. I would find a way to get you to safety and work my ass off to save your life. I wouldn't give it a second thought, even though I know you hate me... And you probably wouldn't piss on me if I was on fire.

Being critical of the police doesnt make me hate them. I just think theres room for improvement. Apparently I'm not alone, in case you missed it there are thousands in this country who feel the same....I'm just not looting. At least with my job, I dont have governments everywhere passing reform legislation because my industry is so bad at what it does.

I'm sorry you wont see this. Your last paragraph got to me. It's a shame you wont get to see my tribute for you:

View: https://youtu.be/0IA3ZvCkRkQ

edited to add: I would definitely piss on you if you were on fire

At least with my job, I dont have governments everywhere passing reform legislation because my industry is so bad at what it does.
To be fair, governments are passing legislation because the far left has a better marketing dept than the police. That and they dont want their homes burned down by angry mobs

< Pro-Cop. [wave]

I'm pro-cop. But having legitimate concerns about their methods and their reputation in recent years, I guess, makes me a hater. Not even close. But I'm also not gonna follow them blindly and pretend like LEO's dont deserve their current reputation. It's like police have become their own class, and should be immune from criticism. I guess I should be happy none of the cops on here blamed it on being underfunded.

I did in fact say if someone tries to "fight" me. Once a person becomes combative I'm absolutely allowed and trained to use defensive tactics, which includes punches and takedowns. Soy response would be to punch them (mainly as a distraction) and take them down. I would then try to end it as quickly and safely as possible by cuffing them, searching them, and putting them in the cruiser. I would even provide first aid if needed.

You may not like it, I get that. You may not agree with it, I get that too. I didn't make the rules and I didn't design the force continuum. If you have a problem with that take it up with someone that makes those rules.

I'll continue to do what I was trained is acceptable and I'll do that to the best of my ability. I won't beat on a guy just cause I can. I'll use exactly the amount of force needed and allowed to get the guy into custody. No more, sometimes less, but usually exactly what I was trained to do.

I'm guessing you would prefer I just stand there and be a punching bag and ask the guy to please stop a few times before I go hands on.... Not gonna happen.

Someone fights, I'm allowed to fight back. If I was patrolling your street and observed your neighbor initiate a physical fight with you and you punched him in the face and threw him on the ground I would take him to jail and tell you "good job". My report would detail that you defended yourself.

Those are the rules
You mean if someone becomes combative you aren't required to go 12 rounds with him, just because he's only using his fists?

I'll end my posting tonight with this thought:
"If someone has to die when the whole situation turns to shit, I'll pick the cop over the Bad Guy everytime..."

This guy was on probation right? You would have let him go and just tagged his keys? Isn't the whole probation thing his second chance?
Probation can only be revoked by a judge. It might be more-or-less automatic depending on the venue and the charges, but police can't just declare someone's probation to be over and throw them in prison.

My lifelong experience with Lawmen are all positive. And I've done some stupid shit...
So tell me... the last time you saw flashing blues in your rearview, did you suddenly feel better?

I'll end my posting tonight with this thought:
"If someone has to die when the whole situation turns to shit, I'll pick the cop over the Bad Guy everytime..."
"Poor kids are almost as smart as white kids."

Did you really go Full Biden by implying every time SHTF, cops are the good guys and the dead guys are bad?

I love it when someone who hasn't paid attention to my own career experience suddenly thinks I'm just some nancy bystander.

I did in fact say if someone tries to "fight" me. Once a person becomes combative I'm absolutely allowed and trained to use defensive tactics, which includes punches and takedowns.
And when you say "becomes combative", do you mean "takes a combative stance", or "pulled away" or "resisted"?

I love it when someone who hasn't paid attention to my own career experience suddenly thinks I'm just some nancy bystander.

And when you say "becomes combative", do you mean "takes a combative stance", or "pulled away" or "resisted"?

I mean the person starts actually trying to fight me. I don't hit people that are resisting.

I am not aware of your experience. Your statement made it seem like you didn't know the force continuum. If you were knowledgeable about it and still made that statement then it seems you were trolling. Which one is it?

Atlanta police officers called out sick Thursday to protest the filing of murder charges against an officer who shot a man in the back, while the interim chief acknowledged members of the force feel abandoned amid protests demanding massive changes to policing. Prosecutors brought felony murder and other charges against Garrett Rolfe, a white officer who shot Rayshard Brooks after the 27-year-old black man grabbed a Taser during a struggle and ran, firing it at the officer, Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard said. Atlanta officers are walking off their shifts or not responding to calls because they feel “abandoned, betrayed, used in a political game,” Vince Champion, southeast regional director for the International Brotherhood of Police Officers, told the AP. Champion said he’s heard from several officers that they fear using force to protect themselves will get them fired or arrested. The felony murder charge against Rolfe, 27, carries life in prison or the death penalty, if prosecutors decide to seek it. He was also charged with 10 other offenses punishable by decades behind bars.

Back
Top Bottom