ATF ruling on 80% lowers

I just read an email from the Glock Store that the ATF is getting ready to rule 80% lowers on July 1st. It looks like it might be bad, like shutting them down bad. I did a quick google search and nothing. Anybody else see or hear anything?

I just read an email from the Glock Store that the ATF is getting ready to rule 80% lowers on July 1st. It looks like it might be bad, like shutting them down bad. I did a quick google search and nothing. Anybody else see or hear anything?

Nope, didn't hear anything but I don't see how this is possible.

Shutting down the 80% lower seems ridiculous because you're just going to make the xx% market which is always below the ruling threshold. Now, what they might be able to do is shut down the polymer market which is significantly easier to complete than the aluminum one, but without major changes to federal law I don't see how the ATF can reinterpret this without input.

Now, with that said I know P80 has just moved to being a firearms manufacturer and is now sperializing lowers to comply with CA rules that start July 1, and Jersey has put a cease and desist out there to 80% manufacturers to stop selling, perhaps Glockstore is responding to that or predicting a start of a momentum?

Last edited:
The only thing I've seen recently was the July 1st 2018 California change. You have to pre register/apply for a serial # with the CA doj before you can complete the lower. Other than that, I haven't seen anything. The googler wasn't saying much other than that either.

Just alarmist fake news stuff from some company that wants to sell out their 80% paperweights that nobody is buying.

-Mike

Enter the 79.5% lowers

And then those will be banned and the 79% lowers will come on the market. And then the 78.5% lowers (I'm waiting for the 69%)

At some point 0% lowers will be banned, which will cause the entire US industrial complex to grind to a screeching halt as nobody will be able to build cars, computers, or even tent stakes without first obtaining an FFL 07 and anyway their market will be limited to LTC holders. No more online sales of anything to anyone, because the buyer/seller might be in different states...

Oh the huge manatees...

And then those will be banned and the 79% lowers will come on the market. And then the 78.5% lowers (I'm waiting for the 69%)

At some point 0% lowers will be banned, which will cause the entire US industrial complex to grind to a screeching halt as nobody will be able to build cars, computers, or even tent stakes without first obtaining an FFL 07 and anyway their market will be limited to LTC holders. No more online sales of anything to anyone, because the buyer/seller might be in different states...

Oh the huge manatees...

Nobody needs assault style aluminum! Ban bauxite ore!

The ATF (and .gov agencies in general) can't just change rules. They have to publish the rule change and allow for a comment period. Once the comments have come in, they can then make the change and it will effective 30 (maybe sixty or ninety) days later.

From the email:

" As we related last week, our Washington D.C. lawyer, who specializes in firearm related issues, told us that it would be another 3 weeks before the ATF comes out with their ruling on the SS80 in particular, and 80% Lowers in general."

To me this is only as it relates to the SS80. They threw in the "80% Lowers in General" part to try and stir up some interest in their other products. Essentially they screwed over people in CA and as an option to a full refund ($130) they are offering a $200 store credit.

The only thing I've seen recently was the July 1st 2018 California change. You have to pre register/apply for a serial # with the CA doj before you can complete the lower.

Like MA an example of further entrenchment by the "progressive" cabal that runs that state -- establishing two Americas for guns despite record sales and ownership.

:emoji_tiger:

It's a funny thing. You don't want LEGAL gun owners to buy a LEGAL gun that they build themselves. Criminals and illegal guns? Well, that's not something we can stop. But these legal gun thingies - we're going to outlaw them. LOL

I'd be afraid for America, but the stupid stuff has been going on in .fed for 200+ years. Hoping that you'll have several hundred people with above-average integrity, say, in Congress (or even a couple for bright bulbs in the ATF at this point) is just not reality.

Although that doesn't make me any less frustrating. Posturing. Podium-thumping. All for not.

Regardless of what GS and the ATF say/do, keep a close eye on the CA and NJ laws. If it throws more restrictions out there you can better believe MA and CT won't be far behind with some harebrained 80% edicts to one-up the other commie states.

Just alarmist fake news stuff from some company that wants to sell out their 80% paperweights that nobody is buying.

-Mike

I got an email from a company whose 80% lowers I've previously purchased, (ones that I've been happy with). They referenced a "cease and desist" BS letter from New Jersey's AG, which does in fact exist, I've read the original. I've heard nothing about any new ATF rulings - and I listen pretty hard because I complete 80% lowers for personal use and thus have a vested interest in not violating state (Georgia) or Federal law.

It's a funny thing. You don't want LEGAL gun owners to buy a LEGAL gun that they build themselves. Criminals and illegal guns? Well, that's not something we can stop. But these legal gun thingies - we're going to outlaw them. LOL

I'd be afraid for America, but the stupid stuff has been going on in .fed for 200+ years. Hoping that you'll have several hundred people with above-average integrity, say, in Congress (or even a couple for bright bulbs in the ATF at this point) is just not reality.

Although that doesn't make me any less frustrating. Posturing. Podium-thumping. All for not.
When you give people high paying jobs and allow them to make a career out of it, integrity goes out the window (for most).

I got an email from a company whose 80% lowers I've previously purchased, (ones that I've been happy with). They referenced a "cease and desist" BS letter from New Jersey's AG, which does in fact exist, I've read the original. I've heard nothing about any new ATF rulings - and I listen pretty hard because I complete 80% lowers for personal use and thus have a vested interest in not violating state (Georgia) or Federal law.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlmmJfYHHss&feature=youtu.be&_bta_tid=29223328291401957881149742921938015807983093978499729168447241416930191823144112078346449655699899924151304

This is a video from Lenny MaGill of Glock Store. It's about his submission to the ATF for his "SS80" which is a Single Stack 80% lower, (essentially a G43). Keep in mind, they're already selling a Poly80, and they're trying to do the same thing for a smaller frame, figuring it'll be the process.

Watch the video for yourself.

So it's illegal to have an 80% lower. but a 100% lower is OK. Sooooo, the time it's NOT a gun it's illegal. Once it's a gun, it's legal. Gotcha. I'll do the frame work out-of-state. LOL

CA has to serialize EVERY non-serialized gun??? So a ton of rare no-serial# old guns are gonna get defaced because zero people have died from Polymer80 guns???

Great idea, CA! You should call Charlie Baker. :(

Back
Top Bottom