• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ATF ruling on 80% lowers

Sounds like after Jan 1 of next year, you can't build ANYTHING yourself in CA. Heck, you can't even get a pre-pre-pre-pre-ban Pietta 38 blackpowder gun and convert it into a 38spl.

In this country the way things are going. Eventually you won't be able to buy a barrel without turning in your old one.

The plastic ones won't work with a small desk fan running.

Plastic paperweights are required by law to contain a specified amount of material can be detected using conventional scanning equipment. That's usually about an ounce sized ingot of steel glued into the paperweight. Barium sulfate infused into the plastic can also be used. There are probably other lawful methods.

The tried and true ingot approach work well with desk fans, though.

The ATF (and .gov agencies in general) can't just change rules. They have to publish the rule change and allow for a comment period. Once the comments have come in, they can then make the change and it will effective 30 (maybe sixty or ninety) days later.

The number of times a government agency just changed rules without the actual right to do so makes me think you are being sarcastic. Including the atf. "Changed" and "actually the law" are fluid. Amirte?

I like the casting approach (see Boris's Lego thread) but there are a ton of examples on the net of lowers built from sheet metal or other improbable materials. IIR there's even one out there made of wood, and the owner fired it.

There was a post by one of our older members, Semiautosam from CA IIRC, early in the AR15 show off thread that had a bolt together AR lower receiver made out of milled aluminum plates. I always thought that one was pretty cool, it was a shame when he went in and deleted all of them.

There was a post by one of our older members, Semiautosam from CA IIRC, early in the AR15 show off thread that had a bolt together AR lower receiver made out of milled aluminum plates. I always thought that one was pretty cool, it was a shame when he went in and deleted all of them.

There is a pdf doc floating somewhere with all the template cutouts. I started making it one time but its lost in a garbage pile thinking about killing people.

The number of times a government agency just changed rules without the actual right to do so makes me think you are being sarcastic. Including the atf. "Changed" and "actually the law" are fluid. Amirte?

No, actually I was NOT being sarcastic. I've been a ham radio operator for many years and have watched the rule making process there. They propose a rule, allow for comments, then decide whether to implement it, modify it, or dispense with it. Same with the ATF - look here. This is exactly how they have to operate to ram this regulation down our throats. It can't be done unilaterally or immediately.

I like the casting approach (see Boris's Lego thread) but there are a ton of examples on the net of lowers built from sheet metal or other improbable materials. IIR there's even one out there made of wood, and the owner fired it.
I just searched and searched for the LEGO thread....nada. Link?

I just searched and searched for the LEGO thread....nada. Link?

That's the one, although there is/was a thread on the same topic here.

how Is he keeping the receiver off the bottom of the LEGO box. I don’t see any support.

I don't recall now if the mold was cast with the receiver to the bottom or if the receiver was suspended on rods piercing the lego walls and through the existing holes in the receiver. I have notes somewhere, but chances are @Boris will comment soon enough.

No, actually I was NOT being sarcastic. I've been a ham radio operator for many years and have watched the rule making process there. They propose a rule, allow for comments, then decide whether to implement it, modify it, or dispense with it. Same with the ATF - look here. This is exactly how they have to operate to ram this regulation down our throats. It can't be done unilaterally or immediately.

They can listen to the public, although I have no idea if they're required to take comments.

But those comments are NOT a voting process. They could receive 200,000,000 completely consistent and logical arguments that make an absolutely compelling case in our favor and simply decide against us, saying, "too bad. No lowers for you."

Whether they WOULD is up for debate.

Back
Top Bottom