ATF E-Forms Submission wait time

I assume once the MA backlog "catches up" to the rest of the country things will slow back down again. Based on the wait times on nfatracker.com they're still working through the backlog of forms created before the 41P/41F rule change went into effect.

I assume once the MA backlog "catches up" to the rest of the country things will slow back down again. Based on the wait times on nfatracker.com they're still working through the backlog of forms created before the 41P/41F rule change went into effect.

I agree but this is still great news for those of us with pre 7/20 forms filed.

5/16...no email. [sad2]

You should definitely call the ATF at least five times today. Just to be sure that Maura is okay with your stamp getting approved. Be sure to reference your form # and say that we are citizens here in MA too, godnammit!

Now my question...with an sbr and a trust, what to put down on for firearm type and manufacturing name on the efa10 form...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Call and ask. I and others have always been told to FA10 it as a pistol because SBR's fall into the grey area and are not, by definition, rifles.

Call and ask. I and others have always been told to FA10 it as a pistol because SBR's fall into the grey area and are not, by definition, rifles.
I've heard that as well and strikes me as weird considering the specific restrictions on ar pistols in MA.

On my form 1 individual years ago, I registered it as a rifle.

I've heard that as well and strikes me as weird considering the specific restrictions on ar pistols in MA.

On my form 1 individual years ago, I registered it as a rifle.

In truth an SBR is neither a pistol nor a rifle.

Its not a "firearm" either by definition.

MGL does not define what a SBR is. It only makes reference to that and a SBS.

Agreed, I was not complete enough in my answer. SBR's fall into a huge grey area in MGL. Add a trust to the equation and you enlarge that gray area.

I just called the FRB and asked what to type of firearm do I choose on the eFA10 form for an approved SBRed lower and whoever I talked to had no clue what I was talking about. I said MGL doesn't define an SBR as a rifle or handgun; just a "firearm". That any barrel length under 16" is considered a handgun but doing so would register it as an AR pistol, which are under some hardline restrictions in MA, so which do I pick? She tells me either a rifle or shotgun. Then she asks me who I bought the lower from (like that has any bearing on my question) and then she told me to call the AG. Jesus christ lol.

Last edited:
Did you tell her that you didn't buy it, ATF form 1 is to manufacture a firearm? That would have probably blown her mind.

Did you tell her that you didn't buy it, ATF form 1 is to manufacture a firearm? That would have probably blown her mind.

yup. I told her there is no dealer involved, that it is an ATF approved Form 1 Trust for a lower receiver. lol began asking me questions about capacity, how many rounds, oh that's illegal in Mass..."I have my LTC and preban magazines, so totally within the law" I told her.

She had no clue and I am not gonna waste my time calling back. I told her I have heard from a few people that they have been told by the FRB to choose handgun and that's when she told me to call Maura lol So, with that, I am going to take whatever info you guys got from these drones at FRB with a grain of salt.

Guess I will decide on my own whether to choose handgun or rifle. I will probably just go with rifle and let Maura come after me lol.

Last edited:
Dude!

Stop calling the state and asking shit. Less is more.

I view calling the state differently than the ATF. This state is so effed, those people don't know their head from a hole in the ground. The ATF is another matter entirely.

Calling the state is almost comical...

Dude!

Stop calling the state and asking shit. Less is more.

lol. I asked whether I should pick pistol or rifle for an SBR as it is a viable question because of how the MGL is written regarding SBRs. Add that to the FRB telling a lot of people to select "handgun" on the FA-10, which would put those people at odds with how this state legally views AR Pistols. Can you explain to me out of what I asked the FRB that would drastically effect or alter anything?

ETA: Decided to register it as a rifle and forgo any complications in registering it as an AR pistol/handgun. If Maura wants to come after me, have at it lol.

Last edited:
For those of you who have had Form 1's approved, I'm curious to know who your examiner was (via PM please - these walls have ears, so to speak). I'm wondering if there is a rogue examiner approving applications, or if it is bureau wide. Not panicking yet, I promise

lol. I asked whether I should pick pistol or rifle for an SBR as it is a viable question because of how the MGL is written regarding SBRs. Add that to the FRB telling a lot of people to select "handgun" on the FA-10, which would put those people at odds with how this state legally views AR Pistols. Can you explain to me out of what I asked the FRB that would drastically effect or alter anything?

ETA: Decided to register it as a rifle and forgo any complications in registering it as an AR pistol/handgun. If Maura wants to come after me, have at it lol.

In the past I have followed Four Seasons' practice of registering lowers as 0" barrel rifles before they were assembled. Figure that one out.

Back
Top Bottom