Assault Weapons Ban lacks Democratic votes to pass Senate.

Definitely a good point but she ain't a Kennedy and if she fails big she may go quietly into the night. 2

I just disagree completely. She has had legislation fail before. So what? I suspect every congress critter has submitted 10 times more legislation that never went anywhere than legislation that passed.

She is at the height of he power. Her seat is unassailable. She is 80 years old. If she wanted to go sit on a beach or play golf, she would have retired long ago.

First, I have not read all 7 pages. But this reinforces my point.

The action is at the STATE level. Not the feds. Ma**h***s, don't jump for joy at the federal situation only to succumb to a far far worse set of state laws.

Frankly, we already live under a law that is not significantly different form Feinstein's bill.

First, I have not read all 7 pages. But this reinforces my point.

The action is at the STATE level. Not the feds. Ma**h***s, don't jump for joy at the federal situation only to succumb to a far far worse set of state laws.

Frankly, we already live under a law that is not significantly different form Feinstein's bill.

Some of us Ma**h***s want to be able to move to New Hampshire and still have it be free from this BS.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by beaker

Well on the bright side, if she looses the senate and of course the house isn't likely to approve it, she will probably retire to live out the rest of her years in obscurity.

until the next shooting spree by another nutjob. Then she'll come out of the woodwork..or some other idiot liberal will take her place.

We're only another shooting away from another horror show like we're going thu now. It will never stop.

Well on the bright side, if she LOSES the senate and of course the house isn't likely to approve it, she will probably retire to live out the rest of her years in obscurity. We have to have a party when that happens..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Geezus....

Sorry - but I see this CONSTANTLY - it gets irritating - and it's getting worse. I think it's because one idiot uses the wrong word - and everybody else starts copying them. It's sort of like Democratic politics - one stupid thing follows another.

lose (lz)
v. lost (lôst, lst), los·ing, los·es
v.tr.
1. To be unsuccessful in retaining possession of; mislay: He's always losing his car keys.
a. To be deprived of (something one has had): lost her art collection in the fire; lost her job.
b. To be left alone or desolate because of the death of: lost his wife.
c. To be unable to keep alive: a doctor who has lost very few patients.
3. To be unable to keep control or allegiance of: lost his temper at the meeting; is losing supporters by changing his mind.
4. To fail to win; fail in: lost the game; lost the court case.
5. To fail to use or take advantage of: Don't lose a chance to improve your position.
6. To fail to hear, see, or understand: We lost the plane in the fog. I lost her when she started speaking about thermodynamics.
a. To let (oneself) become unable to find the way.
b. To remove (oneself), as from everyday reality into a fantasy world.
8. To rid oneself of: lost five pounds.
9. To consume aimlessly; waste: lost a week in idle occupations.
10. To wander from or become ignorant of: lose one's way.
a. To elude or outdistance: lost their pursuers.
b. To be outdistanced by: chased the thieves but lost them.
12. To become slow by (a specified amount of time). Used of a timepiece.
13. To cause or result in the loss of: Failure to reply to the advertisement lost her the job.
14. To cause to be destroyed. Usually used in the passive: Both planes were lost in the crash.
15. To cause to be damned.
v.intr.
1. To suffer loss.
2. To be defeated.
3. To operate or run slow. Used of a timepiece.
Phrasal Verb:
lose out
To fail to achieve or receive an expected gain.
Idioms:
lose it Slang
1. To lose control; blow up.
2. To become deranged or mentally disturbed.
3. To become less capable or proficient; decline.
lose out on
To miss (an opportunity, for example).
lose time
1. To operate too slowly. Used of a timepiece.
2. To delay advancement.

loose (ls)
adj. loos·er, loos·est
1. Not fastened, restrained, or contained: loose bricks.
2. Not taut, fixed, or rigid: a loose anchor line; a loose chair leg.
3. Free from confinement or imprisonment; unfettered: criminals loose in the neighborhood; dogs that are loose on the streets.
4. Not tight-fitting or tightly fitted: loose shoes.
5. Not bound, bundled, stapled, or gathered together: loose papers.
6. Not compact or dense in arrangement or structure: loose gravel.
7. Lacking a sense of restraint or responsibility; idle: loose talk.
8. Not formal; relaxed: a loose atmosphere at the club.
9. Lacking conventional moral restraint in sexual behavior.
10. Not literal or exact: a loose translation.
11. Characterized by a free movement of fluids in the body: a loose cough; loose bowels.
adv.
In a loose manner.
v. loosed, loos·ing, loos·es
v.tr.
1. To let loose; release: loosed the dogs.
2. To make loose; undo: loosed his belt.
3. To cast loose; detach: hikers loosing their packs at camp.
4. To let fly; discharge: loosed an arrow.
5. To release pressure or obligation from; absolve: loosed her from the responsibility.
6. To make less strict; relax: a leader's strong authority that was loosed by easy times.
v.intr.
1. To become loose.
2. To discharge a missile; fire.
Idiom:
on the loose
1. At large; free.
2. Acting in an uninhibited fashion.
[Middle English louse, los, from Old Norse lauss; see leu- in Indo-European roots.]
loosely adv.
looseness n.
Synonyms: loose, lax, slack1
These adjectives mean not tautly bound, held, or fastened: loose reins; a lax rope; slack sails.
Antonym: tight

</rant>

- - - Updated - - -

i doubt it.

the dems could have a cure for aids and cancer and the repubs in the house would vote it down.

i think universal background checks comes from this.

That would likely be because if the Dems claimed to come up with a cure for aids and cancer - everybody would know they're full of shit.

Doctors and researchers come up with cures for diseases - not politicians.

just pointing on the non sporting mood of the repubs in the house. they don't want to work with the dems on anything, limiting the 2a is probably high on the list of what would not be negotiable.

Which is completely good - because it's long overdue. Republicans for far too long have been going along with Democratic idiocy. The country would be in a lot better place - if they had just simple refused to go along - a long time ago.

Despite what many of the idiotic liberal pundits and many people on the left say - there DOES come a time when decent thinking people should just REFUSE to go along.

If my neighbor decides to paint his house neon green and pink and put purple polka dots on the roof - I can beg and and I can plead and and I can negotiate with him not to do it - but in the end, I'm going to have to go along - because it's HIS HOUSE.

If he comes over to my house one morning and starts putting even one stroke of a paintbrush on my house - and I even think he has any intention of doing the same thing to my house - THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO NEGOTIATION. He is either going to put the paintbrush away - walk away from my house and never step foot in on my property again (because now I know I absolutely cannot trust him ) - or a beating is going to commence if he fails to listen.

There are some things you simply do NOT negotiate on.

My real fear is the Lautenberg bill that would prohibit standard-capacity magazines. That might have more traction. Not sure if would be able to get over the filibuster threshold though. I do think it would have a majority of senators on board.

Maybe DOA in the House. Crossing-fingers here.

Big deal. Will not comply with that either. They can **** off.

It is a big deal because it will revive the precedent set during the last AWB. It's a toe in the door and we need to slam the door shut for good.

My real fear is the Lautenberg bill that would prohibit standard-capacity magazines. That might have more traction. Not sure if would be able to get over the filibuster threshold though. I do think it would have a majority of senators on board.

Maybe DOA in the House. Crossing-fingers here.

I think it will be.

I don't see the Republicans agreeing to any gun restrictions.

Teddie didn't retire -- he died with his legislative boots on. I expect that Feinstein will do the same, unfortunately.

She's in the majority, has huge seniority, and there is a Democratic president for the next four years. I don't think she's going anywhere.

Feinstein is going NOWHERE. She just ran for reelection in Nov '12 and won by a VERY large margin. She ran with token opposition and she is so arrogant and CA is such a D friendly state, Feinstein refused to even debate her R opponent. The media even went after her for not debating the R and she walked out of the interview with the TV station.

She is there for as long as she wants or until she dies. But seeing where she just ran for reelection, she's there until 2018 if she doesn't die.

Look at the old geezer Frank Lautenberg in NJ. He is 86, retired from the senate in the late 1990's. But he came back in '02. The D candidate in '02 Robert Torecelli was "ethically" challenged and in the middle of a scandal right before the election. The D's illegal put Lautenberg on the ballot weeks before the election with the cooperation of hack D judges. Old bag Lautenberg ran for reelection in '08 and is up in 2014 but planning on running again. He'll be 88 years old in 2014 I believe and he's trying to make sure Cory Booker Newark Mayor won't run against him. Btw, Cory book said in the early 2000's he want all guns banned.

One of the Maine senators will. Snowe or Collins. I can't remember which one is more of a RINO.

Olympia snowe just retired. She was replaced in the '12 election by Angus King. Snowe was more liberal than Collins. Collins is up for reelection in '14 and is a lock in the general election. Because she is moderate though, the R's up there are not huge fans. She is on her best behavior because she fears a primary challenge from a more conservative person in the R primary. If she supported an AWB, she would definitely get a primary challenge and her career would be over.

She said in the article she would not support Feinstein's bill. She isn't a sold pro gun person but she won't support much gun control.

The article from Bloomberg new is crap. There are more than 6 Dem's who won't vote for it. The D senators from South Dakota Tim Johnson and Kay Hagen from North Carolina are up for reelection in '14. If they support gun control, there careers are over in those states. Hagen is fairly young too. Mary Landrieu the Sen from Louisiana is up for reelection in '14 too. She is in major trouble as it is being a D in very conservative louisana. If she votes for AWB or anything at all, she is toast. She is only in her 50's too. She doesn't want to retire.

Harry Reid will not allow these members to walk the political plank. Reid is pro gun, and voted against the original AWB in '94. Reid knows anything is DOA in the house. So he would risk losing his power in the senate if the R's take over that in '14 which is possible.

Obama has very little power to force members. His last term ever is now and he's gone in '16. Any legislation, gun or immigration, etc. needs to be passed this year. Next year, 2014 is an election year. Very very little will get done because of that. After '14 the ramp up to the '16 Presidential primary and election will happen and suck everything away from obama.

All the people in the house and senate want to stay long after obama is gone. So he can pressure all he wants but he is going in a few years. Also look at the states where these people are from. Obama if VERY VERY unpopular in places like Alaska, Montana, South Dakota, North Dakota, West Virginia, Louisiana, etc. He has an approval rating of 32% in WV. He cannot do PR events there to put pressure on a member, etc. Obama's power is in places like NY, CA, MA, NJ, etc. Those places are already have Sen's who are very anti. He needs to change the minds of people who already do not like him. It isn't going to happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Each one of these "pro gun" senators has a price. We saw it in the healthcare bill. Maybe Alaska will get some exemption, cause who the hell actually cares what goes on there. Maybe Angus will accept a nice new federal building to colo the servers for whatever stupid new databases they dream up.

Oh and don't expect Scott Brown to swoop in and save the day. He's all for it.

Obama is a lame duck. Yeah they can be bought but they can't be bought now. They bought people for healthcare because they could where they controlled the Senate, white house and house of reps. They do not have the house of reps, they don't have as many sen's as they did in '09, etc. They cannot buy anyone off.

The Speaker of the House, John Boehner controls the agenda in the house. NO bill goes to a vote without the say so of the speaker. Ditto Harry Reid in the senate. Boehner will not even bring a bill to a vote if it made it through the senate.

Even if lots of people won't comply, the manufacturers probably will - and then if you don't already have standard mags (or not enough) you're kinda SOL.

Not with printable mags now out in the wild. It makes a mag ban totally useless. They will get nothing useful.

I think it will be.

I don't see the Republicans agreeing to any gun restrictions.

Maybe some sort of mental health check reporting reform or some other token concession. But yes, other than that, nothing.

Olympia snowe just retired. She was replaced in the '12 election by Angus King. Snowe was more liberal than Collins. Collins is up for reelection in '14 and is a lock in the general election. Because she is moderate though, the R's up there are not huge fans. She is on her best behavior because she fears a primary challenge from a more conservative person in the R primary. If she supported an AWB, she would definitely get a primary challenge and her career would be over.

She said in the article she would not support Feinstein's bill. She isn't a sold pro gun person but she won't support much gun control.

That's right. King is independent but caucuses with the Dems. I was reading up on him the other day and this slipped my mind. I guess he's pretty gun-neutral which is better than being rabidly anti-gun.

I like how DHS says they are PDW's...

The Department of Homeland Security is seeking to acquire 7,000 5.56x45mm NATO “personal defense weapons” (PDW)

But then they go on to say this...

that DHS is asking for the 7,000 “select-fire” firearms because they are “suitable for personal defense use in close quarters.”

But what we have are assault weapons....

DHS wants 7000 PDW's

These Dems from pro gun areas are not going to be easy to flip into support of gun control. They are Senators and Obama will be irrelevant when their elections comes around. They also have the history of the elections following the AWB and Obamacare to look at. It is still Mass we need to be concerned with.

This +1 x 37 !!

Maybe some sort of mental health check reporting reform or some other token concession. But yes, other than that, nothing.

That's right. King is independent but caucuses with the Dems. I was reading up on him the other day and this slipped my mind. I guess he's pretty gun-neutral which is better than being rabidly anti-gun.

King is very liberal on most issues so I don't trust him at all. I look at him as another snowe on guns. I just cannot rely on those types. One thing with King. He is close to Bloomberg. King looked to be in trouble in Sept and Oct in the election. Bloomberg and a few other rich folks put a bunch of money into maine to get king elected. King might think he owes bloomberg a favor. Or he might say 'I'm in here now, I don't need you anymore' and do his own thing. King is a weird guy from what I've heard.

Sheehan in NH will be interesting. My guess is she wants nothing at all to to with this issue. She is definitely a liberal and almost certainly an anti. But there are no gun issues in NH, and people there are not gun grabbers like MA, NYC, etc. So I think she just wants this issue to fade and go away quickly. She does not want to vote on anything but maybe background checks and mental health.

She won last time with ease but that was in a presidential year, '08. Off year election turnouts are very different. That race will be + or -5% either way. If she were just reelected in '12, she'd vote anti and hope time would get people to forget the vote.

Last edited:
I would love for SBR's to become "in common use" because of these guys. Drop them from NFA, let everyone build them like normal rifles.

I know, I know. I can dream can't I?

Sounds good to me.

For the record, that article was pretty good. Feinstein's face looks like it was cut off, Texas Chainsaw Massacre style and worn around.

Back
Top Bottom