"assault rifle" for home defense = legal issues?

MXD, I can dig your tactics.

One last question: have you patterned your shotgun with the buckshot that you plan to use at a distance equal to the longest range inside your house?

You might be surprised at how little spread you get out of buckshot inside HD distances

I was unable to do it at the distances in my home due to range rules but assuming it is a linear equation, I did calculate it. I measured it at 25 yards then at 50. I took the difference and extrapolated it down to about 15 feet. The pattern is VERY tight but my thought process is no matter how tight it is, nine projectiles can ricochet in the body 9 times more than 1 projectile. To me, the buck shot is about subtle direction changes once it enters the body and not so much about "spraying" the hallway to make up for a poor shot.

I should also add that my plan which includes my choice of ammo is specific to the physical layout of my house. If my house were laid out differently, I would likely have a different plan that would include shooting from the shoulder with bird shot or an AR, who knows. What works for me will most likely not work for most. Shooting from the hip with those rounds in a ranch style home in a crowded neighborhood would be the WORST plan you could have.

When you're given lemons, make lemonade. Or as Ron White said "When you're given lemons........find someone who was given Vodka and have a party"

personall I think that a BG hearing the sound of a nice pump action shotty may be enough to spook them without causing you to let a round off.

I dont know how the law/lawyer will interpret the "intent" with an AR. In my opinion a SD fire arm is a SD fire arm. THough whipping a RPG out may be a bit over kill. All in all I will stick with a handgun for ease of movement through the house in the dark.

I agree with you on the racking sound, although you'll find those on here who believe you'll give away your position by doing that. But, "everyone" knows a shotgun is a great home defense weapon; I have to wonder if a clueless jury who might be swayed by "evil" hollow points wouldn't bat an eye at a far-deadlier 12g with 00 buck, based upon "common" knowledge.

Correct. It is an old law that has very little effect. It certainly has not affected my ability to buy PMAGs and USGI mags for my AR nor 17 round mags for my M&P.

So I guess one could see it as an AWB that has no practical effect in what people can do.

I guess if you want to have a Beta mag it might be a problem. But since no one who is serious about using rifles in combat or self defense uses them, I lose no sleep over it.

How serious of an offense is it to violate that law? And was that passed pre or post 94 AWB?

I agree with you on the racking sound, although you'll find those on here who believe you'll give away your position by doing that. But, "everyone" knows a shotgun is a great home defense weapon; I have to wonder if a clueless jury who might be swayed by "evil" hollow points wouldn't bat an eye at a far-deadlier 12g with 00 buck, based upon "common" knowledge.

Juries will believe most anything. One more reason to get a good lawyer who can protect you in court.

How serious of an offense is it to violate that law? And was that passed pre or post 94 AWB?
This is all I could find easily about it in the OH Revised Code
2923.11 Weapons control definitions.
(E) “Automatic firearm” means any firearm designed or specially adapted to fire a succession of cartridges with a single function of the trigger. “Automatic firearm” also means any semi-automatic firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading, other than a firearm chambering only .22 caliber short, long, or long-rifle cartridges
Effective Date: 04-08-2004; 2008 HB562 09-22-2008

personall I think that a BG hearing the sound of a nice pump action shotty may be enough to spook them without causing you to let a round off.

I wouldn't put all your eggs in that basket, if you are racking the action, make sure one is going in the tube for the BG that doesn't care what kind of sounds come from your room.

This is all I could find easily about it in the OH Revised Code

Oh, OK, that sounds similar to Washington D.C.'s law that defines a machine gun as one with a magazine that holds more than 12 rounds.

If I'm reading that right it looks like it went into effect a few months before the 94 AWB expired.

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

Oh, OK, that sounds similar to Washington D.C.'s law that defines a machine gun as one with a magazine that holds more than 12 rounds.

If I'm reading that right it looks like it went into effect a few months before the 94 AWB expired.

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.
I've never heard of a prosecution under it.

Back
Top Bottom