Asking price question

I hope this is the right place to ask this, I am looking to sell an M&P sport ar-15, I bought it new in 2013 and probably have 600 rounds through it at most. I know the market is crazy right now and from searching I didn't really come up with much.
Thanks

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Usually questions have something with a question mark, so it's not really clear what you're looking to find out. If it's how much is a fair price to ask, check some sites like past postings here, gunbroker, and so on to see what people are asking. This might give you a starting spot that you can then adjust up or down from for your price.

Or you can just say "f it, it's mass" and ask for something sky high (look at what people try selling glocks for here) and see if you can find someone to bite.

I hope this is the right place to ask this, I am looking to sell an M&P sport ar-15, I bought it new in 2013 and probably have 600 rounds through it at most. I know the market is crazy right now and from searching I didn't really come up with much.
Thanks
Very hard to say with the Dimples the Tyrant factor affecting all AR & AK asking prices in this Godforsaken state. Asking prices are sky high for sure... but are they actually selling for those prices? I have no idea. [thinking]

If i was looking for another ar platform I would just build it.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, these have been declared hazardous waste, and you almost can't even give them away. Most will charge a disposal fee.

HOWEVER, I happen to have a use for one, so I'll dispose of it for you for free.

The lower is the only part of real value. You could probably get $400 for just that.
For a complete rifle, probably looking at $1000.

Probably not as "crazy" as you thought. The well hasn't dried up entirely yet, there's just no new supply coming in. If you are trying to turn a profit, wait another year or two. But then you run the risk of the whole ban being overturned.

What do you want from it.
Are you looking to make a buck and try to capatilize on the "market"
Try this....why don't you start with double of what you paid and drop it $100 each week until it sells.
Guns are funny as are the buyer's.
I see people buying M1 garands for $1400 for a basic mid master from Cmp but i can't seem to get those buyers. Last M1 I sold was for exactly what I paid $700...they sell for $730 now from the Cmp and the guy still tried to low ball me.

the market is screwed up. personally I would list it for like $1000 - 1200 and go from there. good luck.

Spring 2016, it was $600 new. Now, probably $6,000 used.
pretty close. when people realize this awb is not going away any time soon no telling what the market will bring. not all gun owners are willing to move, captive audience. [grin] i hope i'm wrong.

It largely depends on the person. The MSRP is $739 - some people will pay $1500 for it because "omg it's pre-Healey-ban!!11!", while others won't pay more than $600 for a use S&W rifle. Whether you market to a sucker or a reasonable individual is up to you. Personally, I think the entire platform (as made by S&W) is a joke so I'd maybe give you $350 for it on a good day, but that's just me. In the end, do your own research and set the price accordingly, instead of asking us what you should do.

pretty close. when people realize this awb is not going away any time soon no telling what the market will bring. not all gun owners are willing to move, captive audience. [grin] i hope i'm wrong.
I don't think $6000 is "pretty close", unless you consider a factor of 4 to be "close". Even with the distorted market, I would expect around $1500 for that EBR. Assuming things stay as they are (likely) expect a slow but steady rise. Also, unlike the 86 MG ban, there will be slow leakage into the DPRM (people moving in with AR's, etc.).

Of course, you could always play the "Frostee Cooler" game and bump it ad infinitum.

rob, tongue in cheek buddy. [grin]
I know, but hype like this feeds the fantasies of sellers like the one offering pre-ban Colt 9MM AR mags for twice the price that a local Natick shop will sell them for over the counter.

Rather than adjust his price, he keeps bumping at $200 each and wondering why he still have inventory.

I know, but hype like this feeds the fantasies of sellers like the one offering pre-ban Colt 9MM AR mags for twice the price that a local Natick shop will sell them for over the counter.

Rather than adjust his price, he keeps bumping at $200 each and wondering why he still have inventory.

Thank you sir. I just bought it from him. Always wanted a Colt happy stick for the 1911. Can't wait to try it out at the range tomorrow.

Colt1911_20170923_sm.jpg

Unfortunately, these have been declared hazardous waste, and you almost can't even give them away. Most will charge a disposal fee.

HOWEVER, I happen to have a use for one, so I'll dispose of it for you for free.

F'n lawyers. [grin]

You should try a new selling tactic. Go total bat-shit free market crazy.

Offer it out for $700. When someone wants it. Say no and raise it $800.
When someone wants that go to $900. And so on, until buyers cools off and go back to the last price some one wanted.

We can call this a free market auction. Did i just invent this? Friggin Genius.

Back right after the Sandy Hook tragedy, when action was looming, I had buddies coming up to me "hey man you got them AR's?" They were all military buddies, and I had several builds ready as I was building the AR's as hobby and selling to just return a small profit to build better rifles.

i said yea, but the market is crazy, why would I sell to you when I can throw it on gunbroker for 1k easy. I told these dudes I had 4-500 into these carbines, and jokingly said I'd take 2k. And they snapped em up. I offered full disclosure to what they cost but it didn't matter. I sold all my AR's and don't even ask what I sold 5.56 for. Reeeee-dick-you-lusss.

I'm not in the know for the MA market, but look at classifieds here, see what's sold and hasn't sold, and base your price accordingly based on how much you want vs how long you want to sit on it to get that amount. If for some ungodly reason was forced to move to MA, I would drain my savings to buy all the Glocks I could afford and bring them with me, sell at a reasonable price, make money, and get more of them into the state. Win win win.

Last edited:
Just remember, if you buy multiple guns with the intent of selling at a profit, you are a dealer in the eyes of the feds.

If you sell a few guns you decide you don't want any more, and do so at a profit, you would not meet the definition of "dealer".

This is separate from the MA definition of dealer, which is anyone selling more than 4 guns per calendar year.

Just remember, if you buy multiple guns with the intent of selling at a profit, you are a dealer in the eyes of the feds.

If you sell a few guns you decide you don't want any more, and do so at a profit, you would not meet the definition of "dealer".

This is separate from the MA definition of dealer, which is anyone selling more than 4 guns per calendar year.

This is 100% on the money.

Back
Top Bottom