Article: SIG SAUER Offers Limited Number Of Rare Swiss SG 553 Pistols

Honest question: what's the point of such a gun that you can't conceal as easily as a pistol and can't shoot as accurately as a rifle (optics help but you still don't have the shoulder stock to stabilize)?

Guess I don't get AR and AK pistols either. School me please.

Honest question: what's the point of such a gun that you can't conceal as easily as a pistol and can't shoot as accurately as a rifle (optics help but you still don't have the shoulder stock to stabilize)?

because ghost gun.

The SG 553 Pistol would be a good (if expensive) starting point for a short&light SBR

34yd3cm.jpg

Add $200 in taxes and a few months for an e-form, and you can have all the stabilization you want.
2j137fk.jpg

As far as I can tell, this type of gun only exists as a way to get around the NFA rules on SBRs. A Tavor or AUG seems like a much better solution IMO.

Fun?

AR and AK pistols got a lot more usable with the invention (and ATF determination letter thereof) of the Sig pistol brace.

As Kevin showed, its much better to buy a pistol and make it into a SBR than to buy a standard length rifle and make it into an sbr.

Its cheaper and easier. And as was pointed out, with a dandy Sig arm brace, you can have your pistol and eat it too.

As far as I can tell, this type of gun only exists as a way to get around the NFA rules on SBRs. A Tavor or AUG seems like a much better solution IMO.

Yeah but neither of those are nearly as cool as a almost-completely-legit Sig 553. Of course one problem for these guns is there is likely a limited number of them so the only guys who will ever see cheap guns are the dealers, the rest that make it to the market are going to be price gouger city.

-Mike

Yeah but neither of those are nearly as cool as a almost-completely-legit Sig 553. Of course one problem for these guns is there is likely a limited number of them so the only guys who will ever see cheap guns are the dealers, the rest that make it to the market are going to be price gouger city.

-Mike

Yeah, as a practical matter, I'd certainly take a 553 pistol, but I'd be putting the SIG brace on it ASAP.

I still don't get the whole "just SBR it" argument, like that's the end-all be-all with no negatives. There are PROs and CONs to both approaches (SBR vs Pistol).

I still don't get the whole "just SBR it" argument, like that's the end-all be-all with no negatives. There are PROs and CONs to both approaches (SBR vs Pistol).

So ignoring the legal BS, what are the advantages to a .223 pistol vs. an SBR (or a pistol with the SIG brace)?

So ignoring the legal BS, what are the advantages to a .223 pistol vs. an SBR (or a pistol with the SIG brace)?

The PRO/CON is all about the legal BS.

AR pistol with the SIG brace (now that this thing exists, forget not having one on an AR pistol)

PRO
No federal registration
Can convert it into a rifle if you decide you don't want an AR pistol
In many areas, you can't have a loaded long gun in a vehicle, but you can have a loaded pistol

CON
Can't buy or build a new one in MA
Lack of easily adjustable length of pull
SIG brace, while totally awesome for what it gets you, is still kinda gay.

Back
Top Bottom