Article: Should the Blind be Able to Obtain a Concealed Weapons Permit?

Statists gonna state. If we listened to every group that carves out an exception to who can own guns, no one would own guns. Same as you can't carry in parks schools, malls, stores, streets, Gov buildings, and your front yard. Anywhere else is Ok. Except in public and private.

Last edited:
Part of appreciating the Constitution and, by extension, America (or what America should be), is realizing that living in a free society means accepting certain "difficult" situations and results in the interest of preserving personal rights and liberties, which must always be paramount.

My last statement on this thread is this.To be able to master shooting,you must be able to maintain a proper sight picture and proper trigger control.I don't believe legally blind people can do that.That is infortunate but true.Have fun with this,I am tired of it all.

How would you know? Please state your qualifications.

you know the more I think about target mis identification I think of this
lapd-mistake.jpg

Oh ya. Great ****ed idea. If that doesn't make gun owners sound like total ****en nut jobs, nothing will. Easy way of figuring it out. Would you let the person drive your car, with you in it, down the highway? If not, why would you let they have a gun?

Some people here are morons. Especially ones who use clumsy analogies to justify denying a law abiding citizen his natural right to self defense.
So true. So in Billsails nephews instance. He could have been armed with a bodyguard 380 or something small(and better) put it in the guy's gut and pull the trigger. I see no problem with that.

Taken at face value, it seems like a bad idea for a blind man to be shooting a gun at someone out on the street. I admit I have not thought very deeply on the subject. I guess if a guy is not completely Hellen Keller blind, he could probably hit a shape at close range, such as in Derek's polite example of contact shooting. Hopefully this blind man can see well enough to distinguish between the blur which is the aggressor and the blur which is the cop or good Samaritan trying to pull the thug off him before he unloads.

I stand by my opinion however that there are people out there that have no business touching firearms. The hypothetical semi-blind man may not fit this bill.
There are a bunch of people in Boston and Washington that think none of us have any business touching firearms either.

- - - Updated - - -

How would you know? Please state your qualifications.
He probably has never seen any blind people ski either.

I wasn't going to comment on this thread but here I am anyway.

I'm 20/450 which is considered severe low vision (1st grade of legal blindness). I shoot well. I also shoot with my glasses on or with my contacts in. I know that if I am attacked and no longer have the benefit of my glasses or contacts, my attacker will be close enough to be able to answer the question of whether there is life after death.

Visually impaired individuals (to whatever degree) should have the same 2A right as any other person, they should have the right to fail or have success with their 2A right as any other person, they should be held to the same standard as any other person, they should be able to feel able to protect self and family like any other person and they should be given common sense credit like any other person - to know when they are no longer able to safely handle one of our greatest freedoms the Constitution affords us all.

Carrying proudly and safely in AZ [shocked]

There are a bunch of people in Boston and Washington that think none of us have any business touching firearms either.

True, but I try to base my opinions in common sense rather than fear and a political agenda.

When I first answered in this thread, I was thinking by "blind" we were talking about bottom of the coal mine at midnight blind. Doesn't make much sense for a guy like that to have a gun. I'm not saying a law about it should be passed, but what is the point? A knife would honestly be a better choice for Someone with no vision at all.

True, but I try to base my opinions in common sense rather than fear and a political agenda.

When I first answered in this thread, I was thinking by "blind" we were talking about bottom of the coal mine at midnight blind. Doesn't make much sense for a guy like that to have a gun. I'm not saying a law about it should be passed, but what is the point? A knife would honestly be a better choice for Someone with no vision at all.

This isn't a debate about what the most appropriate choice of weapons for a blind person is. It is a question whether it should be lawful or not, for a blind person to own a gun.

Even with my vision acuity impaired without corrective devices (statistically our numbers are BIG), I've never spent any time thinking on the matter. I think next time I'm out with friends (we have a place to shoot that is safe and secluded in the desert), we'll adjust the target to see how many yards it takes me to loose the ability to distinguish the good guy from the bad guy. I really should have a sense of what it would be like if my glasses were knocked off, etc. Anyone try this for themselves?

Part of appreciating the Constitution and, by extension, America (or what America should be), is realizing that living in a free society means accepting certain "difficult" situations and results in the interest of preserving personal rights and liberties, which must always be paramount.

QFMFT

Wow. Just because someone is blind (or has very poor sight) they cannot exercise a constitutional right? Like a blind fella with a gun is going to just spray lead all aound him when he just don't "feel right".

Would a deaf mute have the right to free speach? Its almost as dumb as that statement. Really. It could easily be argued that free speach has killed more than any weapon(s) could....but that a different thread entirely.

This in my mind is a no brainer. If a blind person chooses to arm themselves then they too shoulder the responsibities that come along with it.

ADT type message -

Visual of a pair of black glasses (as used by some of the blind) and a visual of a black gun.....
message something like this (forgive me folks as creativity is NOT my strong suit but open I'm open for suggestions!)......

Last intruder met blind shooter, come in and 'see' who won.

Ok, so no prize on this but hope to get the point across; no one who is intruding really knows what to expect when they intrude on one's home or assault a person who is 'out-and-about'. The very minute we take the right away from law abiding citizens to carry guns and protect themselves, we give the advantage to the criminal whether we can see or not and at that point he/she surely doesn't care because they KNOW they have the upper hand....

We also have the right of free speech. Other than screaming fire in a theater where there is not one.

But wait. What about tourette's? Does free speech extend to allowing these people the right to walk around in public, or say, a library, while saying the (sometimes horrible) things they say or do?

I know, I know. This is an enlightened world we live in today. Who would EVER discriminate against someone legit suffering from such a thing? It's not like we we live in the dark ages of the 1980's.

Right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dark ages of the 1980's - gotta ask about that. Can you expound on that 'namedpipes'?

Literary license for the most part, however, that was more or less the turning point where PC started to gain ground and being "different" became more acceptable.

(Pipes is acceptable for short [laugh])

- - - Updated - - -

I was mainly pointing out that blindness is not the only handicap people seem intent of persecuting.

Literary license for the most part, however, that was more or less the turning point where PC started to gain ground and being "different" became more acceptable.

(Pipes is acceptable for short [laugh])

- - - Updated - - -

I was mainly pointing out that blindness is not the only handicap people seem intent of persecuting.

Pipes, You are right about the acceptability of being different. Few (that is the preverbal establishment) liked 'different' in the 70's unless you were a gal burning her bra!

PC is is the worm in the apple - been there a long time 'unseen' - slowly killing us all.

yes, yes, let's create another mother****ing agency to define and enforce something that should be left to common sense of a person in question. Because we don't spend enough trillions of dollars for bureaucrats to sit on their ass and tell me what I can and can not do and in which direction to wipe my own ass on odd/even days.

so let me rephrase the question: Do we need .gov determining what constitutes "blind" and regulating/enforcing these policies?

Say yes, mother****er and write a gddamned check to back your verbal diarrhea.

yes, yes, let's create another mother****ing agency to define and enforce something that should be left to common sense of a person in question. Because we don't spend enough trillions of dollars for bureaucrats to sit on their ass and tell me what I can and can not do and in which direction to wipe my own ass on odd/even days.

so let me rephrase the question: Do we need .gov determining what constitutes "blind" and regulating/enforcing these policies?

Say yes, mother****er and write a gddamned check to back your verbal diarrhea.

This plus 1000. We shouldn't be able to pick and choose who gets covered under conditional rights.

That was fabulous - I understand that his training is the training of a sighted individual but it non-the-less shows what a blind person should be able to do with the right kind of training. GREAT video - thank you!!

I haven't gotten any posts about shooters who have practiced blind folded or without the aid of their glasses/contacts. Wondering if that means no one has or it's just not worth answering the questions.

Back
Top Bottom