Article: Photo: Checkpoint cops point guns at motorists

They photoshopped a man into the seat where a dog was behind the wheel.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

Many people are convinced the officer is aiming his rifle directly at the driver’s face while others believe the muzzle was aimed either at the back seat or the exterior of the vehicle. I believe the critics are looking at it from a 2D perspective and are not taking all the angles into account. Alignment and perspective can sometimes be difficult to determine in a 2D image. A full size version of the photo is available HERE.

This took a lot of work. Here’s what I came up with:

Reference Info

2004 Ford Mustang Dimensions:
Overall length: 183.2 inches
Overall width: 73.1 inches
Overall height: 53.1 inches

Overall length of M4 carbine:
Buttstock Closed: 29.75 inches
Buttstock Open: 33.00 inches

Average Human Body Dimensions:
Shoulder width: 17.86 inches
Chest depth: 9.12 (add 2 inches for vest)
Head: 7.66” X 6.01”

Matt Bracken (the author), had this to say about my take on the photo.

On 10/30/13 at approximately 1729 hours, I spoke with Mr. Randall Benton, the photographer who took the picture. He is a staff photographer for the Sacramento Bee and he took the photo from a long distance with a large telephoto lens. He said he walked nearly a mile in order to take photos of the perimeter. He told me that officers were allowing residents of the neighborhood to leave the area as they continued searching for the armed suspect. He stated that the officer in the photo is not aiming his weapon at the driver but had been aiming it in the back seat. He said the citizen in the photo was not concerned about the officer’s weapon. Though he is not a police officer, Mr. Benton understood that citizens and officers alike were concerned that the suspect might attempt to force someone to drive him out of the area. Officers were ensuring that the suspect was not hiding in a vehicle crossing the perimeter. He said that he watched these same officers stop several vehicles and that no citizen had firearms pointed at them by the police.

Mr. Benton said that he has been contacted by numerous fringe news outlets about this photo and that he has informed them about the fact that the officer in the photo is not aiming his firearm at the driver. He has been sending a “boilerplate” email to individuals and alternative news sites inquiring about the photo. Here’s what he sent to me after our conversation:

Link to larger photo of this email: http://i1187.photobucket.com/a...pher_zps7245934d.jpg

Final Analysis: The officer is not aiming his weapon at the driver. The muzzle is/was directed towards the back seat.

Back
Top Bottom