Article on the front page or the Springfield Republican Today

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
Brady Campaign anti-gun group says gun laws in Massachusetts are not tough enough

By Patrick Johnson, Republican staff
February 22, 2010, 8:25AM

WEST SPRINGFIELD - An anti-gun violence advocacy group says Massachusetts gun laws are good but could be better, while some gun owners say state regulations are oppressive and could not get much worse.

"I don't believe they need to be strengthened," said Mark Laflamme, of Granby. "I feel they are already tough enough."

Laflamme, a hunter, was interviewed at the Springfield Sportsmen's Show, which ended its run Sunday at the Eastern States Exposition in West Springfield.

Other gun enthusiasts gave a thumbs down to a report issued last week to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence that praised Massachusetts gun laws as being betters than most states while still having room for improvement.

Laflamme said all the state's gun laws do is make it harder for law-abiding people like himself to own guns. "And criminals don't care about FID (firearms identification) cards or pistol permits," he said.

The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, the nation's largest anti-gun violence organization and named after James Brady, the former White House press secretary critically injured in the 1981 assassination, rates Massachusetts having the third most effective gun laws, behind only California and New Jersey. On a scale of 1 to 100, Massachusetts merited a 54, according to the ranking.

The state scored favorably for regulations intended to clamp down on illegal gun trafficking, such as requiring dealers to keep detailed records of purchases and sales, and to perform background checks on all buyers. The Brady Campaign also praised requirements that people seeking a gun permit must have fingerprints on file and take a gun safety course.

The state's complete scorecard results and other state rankings can be found at www.bradycampaign.org.

"We applaud Massachusetts for its strong law requiring licenses to purchase firearms," said Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "This is an important way to keep dangerous firearms out of the hands of dangerous people."

“We applaud Massachusetts for its strong law requiring licenses to purchase firearms. This is an important way to keep dangerous firearms out of the hands of dangerous people.”
- Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun ViolenceAt the Sportsmen's show, gun enthusiasts weren't buying it.

Bob Allessio, of Pittsfield, said he owns several hunting rifles and the state's laws for ownership, storage and transportation of firearms are so restrictive, it's hard to know if he's complying with the law or not.

"It's just terrible," he said.

Ryan Brooks, of Spencer, shot down any suggestion to make gun laws more restrictive. "The gun laws are too restrictive as is," he said.

Repeating a theme expressed by others at the show, Brooks said the majority of gun owners are law-abiding and responsible, but they have to suffer because of a few or are not responsible.

"One idiot can make it bad for the rest of us," he said.

State Rep. Donald F. Humason Jr., R-Westfield, a member of the National Rifle Association, Gun Owners Action League, and the Westfield Sportsman Club, said the problem with Massachusetts gun laws is they do nothing to deter gun crime. And that is the part the Brady organization has never seemed to understand, he said.

"They seem to forget that criminals don't follow laws," he said. "The Brady group has always looked at it the wrong way."

The Gun Owners Action League favors simplifying state gun laws to make them more reasonable, transparent and more easily understandable.

Humason said he favors punishing those who use guns in crime rather than blanket restrictions on all gun owners.

John Rosenthal, president of the advocacy group Stop Handgun Violence, said Massachusetts gun laws are a model for the rest of the country, and it is no coincidence the state has among the lowest per-capita gun deaths per year. "Our gun laws work, he said.

Rosenthal, who is a gun owner, said he frequently hears from other gun owners about the burden of Massachusetts gun laws, but he doesn't put much stock in it.

"Any lawful gun owner can get any firearm they want to get. All they have to do is apply for an FID card, get trained and pass a background check," he said.

"The only way to know if a terrorist or criminal is exploiting our gun laws is to require background checks," he said.

One area where the Brady reports notes the state gun laws could improve safety would be limiting gun purchases to one per month.

The one-gun-per-month provision was among new regulations proposed in a bill by Gov. Deval L. Patrick.

The bill would block gun owners from buying more than one firearm within 30 days. Patrick wants to limit numerous gun purchases by people who then turn around and sell the guns on the streets to felons or other unlicensed people.

The bill is pending in the Judiciary Committee after receiving a public hearing in July.

All in all not the worse article I have seen by a reporter. Maybe some letters to the reporter about the reality of how these carpicous and arbitrary gun laws really effect law abiding gun owners would get some light shed on the subject.

Bob

The one-gun-per-month provision was among new regulations proposed in a bill by Gov. Deval L. Patrick.

The bill would block gun owners from buying more than one firearm within 30 days. Patrick wants to limit numerous gun purchases by people who then turn around and sell the guns on the streets to felons or other unlicensed people.

Bob

Yes, that one-gun-per-month law will stop people who sell guns to felons or unlicensed people, from selling guns to felons or unlicensed people. OMG, why has nobody else thought of this?

I could have had a farking V8. Duh.

P.S. Sorry Eddie

Last edited:
I just don't understand how people who are otherwise very intelligent can't seem to process simple facts, namely criminals don't follow the law. I GUARANTEE if a politician passed a law requiring a mandatory sentence of 20 years for firearm trafficking, using a firearm in the commission of a felony, etc, there would be a clearly visible drop in gun crime. Instead they just keep adding more laws they don't bother to enforce, that steps all over the constitution and the toes of the law abiding.

I'm sure you guys share in my extreme frustration of how stupid most of these laws are. It makes me nervous and upset how stupid people in power can be.

Mike

I just don't understand how people who are otherwise very intelligent can't seem to process simple facts, namely criminals don't follow the law. I GUARANTEE if a politician passed a law requiring a mandatory sentence of 20 years for firearm trafficking, using a firearm in the commission of a felony, etc, there would be a clearly visible drop in gun crime. Instead they just keep adding more laws they don't bother to enforce, that steps all over the constitution and the toes of the law abiding.

I'm sure you guys share in my extreme frustration of how stupid most of these laws are. It makes me nervous and upset how stupid people in power can be.

Mike

No, they would just expand trafficking to include lawfully taking your guns out of your house or something, and them use the 20 year sentence to get rid of us all.

I'd rather they enforce some of the more reasonable laws rather than just continue to serve up shit that I as a law abiding citezin am going to have to eat for the foreseeable future, while at the same time giving ridiculously lenient sentences to the criminals shooting each other and getting innocents caught up in the cross fire.

Mike

I agree, but dont create more laws, as you are urging politicians do, or start messing with ones on the books. Enforce the ones they have.

This article is so full of FAIL that it's almost a joke:

Brady Campaign anti-gun group says gun laws in Massachusetts are not tough enough

BS, they're a ridiculous abomination of our constitutional rights.

By Patrick Johnson, Republican staff

They should change the name of that dead-tree fish wrapper you write for to the "RINO"

WEST SPRINGFIELD - An anti-gun violence advocacy group says Massachusetts gun laws are good but could be better, while some gun owners say state regulations are oppressive and could not get much worse.

We hope that they don't get worse, but the libtards always find a way.

"I don't believe they need to be strengthened," said Mark Laflamme, of Granby. "I feel they are already [STRIKE]tough enough[/STRIKE] way too restrictive already."

There, fixed it for you.

Laflamme, a hunter, was interviewed at the Springfield Sportsmen's Show, which ended its run Sunday at the Eastern States Exposition in West Springfield.

Other gun enthusiasts gave a thumbs down to a report issued last week to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence that praised Massachusetts gun laws as being betters than most states while still having room for improvement.

Laflamme said all the state's gun laws do is make it harder for law-abiding people like himself to own guns. "And criminals don't care about FID (firearms identification) cards or pistol permits," he said.

OK, this I agree with.

The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, the nation's largest anti-gun violence organization and named after James Brady, the former White House press secretary critically injured in the 1981 assassination,

Am I missing something here?
Did you forget to finish this sentence, dumbass?

rates Massachusetts having the third most effective gun laws, behind only California and New Jersey. On a scale of 1 to 100, Massachusetts merited a 54, according to the ranking.

IIRC, CA and NJ have some of the highest gun crime rates in the nation.
How exactly do their overly restrictive laws qualify as effective?

The state scored favorably for regulations intended to clamp down on illegal gun trafficking, such as requiring dealers to keep detailed records of purchases and sales, and to perform background checks on all buyers.

Is this to imply that dealers in other states are NOT required to run background checks on gun buyers?
Ever hear of NICS?

The Brady Campaign also praised requirements that people seeking a gun permit must have fingerprints on file and take a gun safety course.

And if the Brady clowns had their way, we'd have to submit DNA samples too.

The state's complete scorecard results and other state rankings can be found at www.bradycampaign.org.

"We applaud Massachusetts for its strong law requiring licenses to purchase firearms," said Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "This is an important way to keep dangerous firearms out of the hands of dangerous people."

It also keeps firearms out of the hands of non-dangerous people (aka Victims)

Bob Allessio, of Pittsfield, said he owns several hunting rifles and the state's laws for ownership, storage and transportation of firearms are so restrictive, it's hard to know if he's complying with the law or not.

Massachusetts prides itself on its ability to make law abiding citizens into criminals with the stroke of a pen.

"It's just terrible," he said.

Ryan Brooks, of Spencer, shot down any suggestion to make gun laws more restrictive. "The gun laws are too restrictive as is," he said.

Agreed.

Repeating a theme expressed by others at the show, Brooks said the majority of gun owners are law-abiding and responsible, but they have to suffer because of a few or are not responsible.

"One idiot can make it bad for the rest of us," he said.

Ditto.

State Rep. Donald F. Humason Jr., R-Westfield, a member of the National Rifle Association, Gun Owners Action League, and the Westfield Sportsman Club, said the problem with Massachusetts gun laws is they do nothing to deter gun crime. And that is the part the Brady organization has never seemed to understand, he said.

"They seem to forget that criminals don't follow laws," he said. "The Brady group has always looked at it the wrong way."

The Gun Owners Action League favors simplifying state gun laws to make them more reasonable, transparent and more easily understandable.

Humason said he favors punishing those who use guns in crime rather than blanket restrictions on all gun owners.

Yes, yes and yes.

John Rosenthal, [STRIKE]president[/STRIKE] Head Douchebag of the advocacy group Stop Handgun Violence, said Massachusetts gun laws are a model for the rest of the country, and it is no coincidence the state has among the lowest per-capita gun deaths per year. "Our gun laws work, he said.

Yes, the laws work to keep criminals safe from hazzards of the job.

Rosenthal, who is a gun owner, said he frequently hears from other gun owners about the burden of Massachusetts gun laws, but he doesn't put much stock in it.

"Any lawful gun owner can get any firearm they want to get. All they have to do is apply for an FID card, get trained and pass a background check," he said.

Really? You mean any law abiding citizen, in any city or town, can easily get an LTC just by applying for it?
And anyone with an LTC can go down to their local gun shop and buy any new Glock, Kimber or HK they want?
What state do you live in Mr. Rosenthal?

"The only way to know if a terrorist or criminal is exploiting our gun laws is to require background checks," he said.

So if a criminal buys a stolen gun on the black market, he has to pass a background check?
Explain to me how this works again?

One area where the Brady reports notes the state gun laws could improve safety would be limiting gun purchases to one per month.

So if I want to buy a matched set of Colt SAA's, I have to wait a month to get the second one?
Didn't South Carolina do away with their one-gun-a-month scheme because they found it to be totally useless in preventing crime?

Typical libtard thinking. If its already been proven NOT to work, let's try it.

Oh, so it prevents licensed law abiding gun owners from illegally selling their personal, registered and easily traceable, firearms to criminals?

Am I missing something here?

The bill is pending in the Judiciary Committee after receiving a public hearing in July.

Not if we have anything to say about it.

All in all not the worse article I have seen by a reporter. Maybe some letters to the reporter about the reality of how these carpicous and arbitrary gun laws really effect law abiding gun owners would get some light shed on the subject.

He also needs to read the gun laws because it's obvious he has no clue.

I suspect Rosenthal is a RINO gun owner. He is a lying sack of cow dung here also.

I would like to know how to "get any gun" I want here in Massachusetts especially after only applying for an FID card.

I suspect Rosenthal is a RINO gun owner. He is a lying sack of cow dung here also.

I would like to know how to "get any gun" I want here in Massachusetts especially after only applying for an FID card.

Obviously he hasn't got a clue about licensing or requirements for LTC vs FID and then again maybe he just acts stupid and knows quite well the difference!

Mr. Rosenthal.....Stewie has something to say....

2hf1b8l.jpg

I agree, but dont create more laws, as you are urging politicians do, or start messing with ones on the books. Enforce the ones they have.

Got to disagree here... A new law mandating capital punishment for certain crimes would go a long way to reducing crime if it were put to good and proper use.

Obviously he hasn't got a clue about licensing or requirements for LTC vs FID and then again maybe he just acts stupid and knows quite well the difference!

I expect he is fully versed in the laws, but knows that you get more points in the court of public opinion for a soundbite that serves your interest than for the making of accurate statements.

He is the guy that will say that with an FID card you can buy an RPG, Suitcase nuke or FA Glock 18 at a Mass gun show.
He "is a gun owner" and he lies, that's why the presstitutes publish every word that comes out of his cake hole.

Why would politicians (LAWYERS) make laws that would attribute to a drop in crime ( example: harsher penalties for crimes committed with a firearm)?

If we had less crime we wouldn't have a need for all those lawyers.

I GUARANTEE if a politician passed a law requiring a mandatory sentence of 20 years for firearm trafficking, using a firearm in the commission of a felony, etc, there would be a clearly visible drop in gun crime. Instead they just keep adding more laws they don't bother to enforce, that steps all over the constitution and the toes of the law abiding.

[slap]

Mike, we already HAVE those kinds of stupid laws in place, and they don't do squat. How can you in one sentence call for yet another law and in the next sentence bemoan that the laws we have already aren't being enforced???

Back
Top Bottom