• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Art of Concealed Carry

I took this class last night with Jon and Darius. They came to Mansfield and did the class for our members that wanted to take this class.

I have to say, if you carry, you should really take this class. I can't say how much I took away from this class.

Darius, spent quite a bit of time going over laws and issues with deadly force, leading up to, and after an incident. He included cases he's worked on, results, and issues that arise depending on how you handle a situation. He goes into less lethal force and why and when you should consider using something other than your carry weapon.

They went over briefly different less lethal methods, mace, kubaton (sp?), flashlight, knife, etc...

Jon went over many types of carry methods, pros and cons, hows and whys. When one carry method might be more appropriate than another depending on season and environment. It was really informative.

They did several roll playing exercises. And that was really good to see. And it wasn't as set up as you would think. They would instruct one person to be in a situation, and that was about all. Then Jon would play an attacker but not let the person know what was going to happen. You could see that it was catching the person off guard.

We would then discuss how it went, what we could have done, how things might have changed if he did something else. You get a lot out of that.

Jon came out dressed in normal clothes that one would wear for this time of year. He then went over different equipment as you tried to guess where he was carrying, and what he was carrying. And he didn't just show how he was carrying guns. He has other items on him as well. Flashlights, different canisters of mace, knives, etc... It was good to see how different carry methods worked and didn't work.

He also went over equipment and how good vs. bad quality holsters/belts can make all the difference in your carry system.

Then him and Darius went over many different training resources; magazines, books, trainers. How much they might be to take, buy, etc... And how and when to practice what you learn. Jon also went over ways that you can train at home, and safe ways to practice getting used to your carry equipment.

Then they let us check out one or many of the hundreds of holsters, belts, blue guns to see what might work for you.

Then a question and answer period which was mostly with Darius going over many laws and concerns with said laws.

All and all, it was very informative, and think that it could be a lot longer than a four hours class. There was so much information that it was hard to retain everything that they feed you in such a short amount of time.

They did give us a large folder with information, which I haven't gone completely through.

I would have liked to see, being that this is for carry, more on what to do and how to sway obtaining a "non-restricted" permit in your favor. They do give you a letter to take with you when you apply or renew. But there wasn't much discussed on how you can imporve your chances when you do apply.

Other than that, it was a great class and I would like to thank Darius, Jon, and GOAL for taking the time to come to us to teach the class.

And anyone that carries, or thinking of carrying, and hasn't taken this class...I would suggest that you do. It's really short money for what you learn, and not enough of us that choose to carry in MA have enough training to do so.

No, but one guy maced him. And he didn't see it coming. And he said that it was the first time that he had been maced in class.

What was great is that the guy was holding it in his had. And of course Jon was the one that gave him the mace in the back room. So he knew that he was carrying the mace.

But the guy was so good at keeping it hidden, and being that he didn't give Jon a chance, Jon never saw it coming. Actually, I don't think that any of us saw it coming.

C-pher,

Thank you for your kind complements about our seminar. We make every effort to keep this class relevant, practical, and, hopefully, memorable.

When one makes the commitment of self-defense, it is critical to understand the law of the land so that you don't unwittingly cross over the line into regrettable criminal conduct.

While Jon and I wish we could cover even more material in our four hour seminar, rather than trying to cram additional topis into an already busy agenda, we will instead likely create another course or two on these other topics responsible gun owners need to know.

Thanks again for your kind review and critique of our course.

Darius Arbabi

Cross-X said:
While Jon and I wish we could cover even more material in our four hour seminar, rather than trying to cram additional topis into an already busy agenda, we will instead likely create another course or two on these other topics responsible gun owners need to know.

Darius, good point.

I think that it would be great to see a Art 2 or Art 3 class available. There really is a lot of information in this class. And to have a 200 and 300 level class would be great.

Not really sure how feasible that would be, but it's just a thought.

I have said it before and I'll take this opportunity to repeat myself.

Jon and Darius are two great instructors and they give an outstanding class. Anyone who takes a class from these two receives some very good instructing.

Thanks for the compliments. The GOAL Foundation will continue to create new relevant courses where demand requires.

Gunnies in New England are very fortunate to have a number of world class facilities and trainers available within a short drive. Many clubs are following the lead of NE Shooters and recruiting top instructors in PD to teach their skill sets on location (Thanks Jim Conway).

For the record, The GOAL Foundation makes use of OC training units in our scenarios. The real stuff tends to create an unnecessary diversion in the classroom. Also, scenarios have a no contact rule. Brains can fade under pressure. Does anyone remember the time an IDPA SO from a local club broke the 180 rule and covered everyone behind him with his firearm? Life doesn’t have a rewind button. Train to get it right the first time!

Jon Green
GOAL

Darius, et al:

How about lobbying for more of these courses?

Currently the May 10th course is booked full and the next scheduled course is not until October!

The course is currently scheduled in Northboro from 5:30PM to 9:30PM, which may not be convenient for people who live/work distant from Northboro or don't get out of work early enough to travel to Northboro.

I spoke with Jon Green on Saturday about this and he concurs that additional dates should be doable. He asked me to post something here and request that Darius and others of us lobby (request) more options (locations, dates, day of week, etc.) for this course.

So if you are interested in taking this excellent course (I am), please reply here and maybe we'll get something going for this Summer.

I live about an hour from Northboro so if it could be scheduled to allow me to travel there and back in one day I definitely would try to attend.

Darius,

My brother and I live near Northborough and would love to take this course during weeknights before the October one if/when possible.

Please let us know soon so that we can pre-book.

Thanks,
William

Gun Clubs Needed to Sponsor Art of Concealed Carry Seminar

Folks,

Jon Green and I are willing to conduct additional Art of Concealed Carry seminars, and we'd like to get some local gun clubs to host these classes.

What we require is the use of a room large enough to seat 15 - 20 people, refreshments for the class, and several tables to display the items we bring with us. The seminar is a four hour course, so we'd need the room for about five hours or so.

If you are interested in hosting a seminar, please contact your club's executive board for permission, and drop me a line or give me a call at 508 395-6500 to discuss the details.

Once we have some firm dates and locations, I will annnounce them here first to give NESers first crack at getting into the course.

Darius Arbabi

As a brand new member of Mansfield F&G, I have no idea if they would be interested in sponsoring another seminar, but I have sent out an inquiry to the VP (only officer I have an Email address for).

Back
Top Bottom