• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NRA Online range safety officer training hints.

rogersmithiii

NES Member
Just took the NRA online, range safety officer class.

Flunked it the first attempt with a 76, but got a 96 the second time.

Hints.

The questions are not common sense. They refer to the NRA teaching content, and the NRA way of doing things. Some of the questions are tricky, and the way to correctly answer them is to have the Powerpoint handouts open on your desktop so you can refer to them. You'll see the question mimicking the exact wording on the slide, so it's easy to see what answer they are after. The Range SOP is the holy grail of what governs a typical safety officer, so a lot of questions refer to that answer.

Second, you have three shots to pass the exam before you have to pay for an in-person class. You can review your answers from failed exams, which will help you with future attempts.

Finally, the class goes kind of slowly, and is tedious. It's not rocket science, but the questions are more complicated than the actual course materials.

MHO.

I'd take it to add it to the list of stuff, at the bottom of my post. [laugh]

Seriously, I've never taken the RSO course, but I've read through the material, and picked up some useful pointers, especially when running an event.

Also, some people react better to "advice" from people that have "credentials." As I type this, I have a GOAL Shoot-B-Q Range Staff tee shirt on. Show's I'm one of the cool kids. Fat and geezerly, but still cool.

What's the point of taking this class? Serious question.

I got the certification because one of the clubs I belonged to required anyone running a competition to be NRA RO certified.

Class was pretty boring, but I did pick up a few things.

Like my other permits/certifications, I don't let this one lapse just in case I need it in the future.

Back
Top Bottom