Army chooses Sig Sauer to build Next Generation Squad Weapon.

16”?

My 16” shoots 143gr ELD-X at 2550.

Yeah, but that’s a 16” 6.5CM vs a 13” 6.8. Make a 16” SDM-R variant and you’ve got another thing all together. Don’t get me wrong, a 16” 6.5 CM with a good “A1” style bullet, in a light-ish weight rifle would have been a fantastic stop-gap. Especially if they could have funded the bi-metal case research separately from the XM5 program. But I’m not upset with the R&D overall. If the M7 sucks, it will be short lived.
There’s more than one way to skin a cat. I think the gov isn’t ready for something new. I think stop gap is exactly what they need and they didn’t go about it right.

Until they’re ready to make the big change it’s stop gap. So many good cartridges to get the job done but again I think being a stop gap they need to compromise. They obviously don’t want the solution to their problem or they would have adopted and been good to go.

Will go great with the new improved fighting vehicle
iu

Is it me or….Ever notice that when the government mentions firearms they are called weapons but if the civilian are involved they are weapons of mass destruction?

So many shades of brown!

The ME Guard uses semiauto rifles? Is that common?

(What is "BIL" here?)
That should have been "BII": Basic Inventory Items.

These were supposed to be the new unit sniper rifles. 3MOA at best, get dirty fast, pencil barrel gets hot fast and puts up a ton of mirage.

They really, really, REALLY like to believe off-the-shelf equipment, especially weapons, can't possibly be "good enough."
In the late 90's, the Marine Corps Designated Marksman Rifle trials were looking at the SR-25, H&K's rifle (not PSG1, but something a step down), a couple others and the Marine Corps Precision Weapons Shop built M14. The PWS built rifle "won".

That should have been "BII": Basic Inventory Items.

These were supposed to be the new unit sniper rifles. 3MOA at best, get dirty fast, pencil barrel gets hot fast and puts up a ton of mirage.
Interesting. I've got a DPMS pattern AR10 .308 that I custom built that is sub-moa with match ammo. I was considering selling it for a Knights SR-25, FN Scar 20, HK MR762 or an LWRC REPR 20". Now I'll have to rethink that as I don't want to downgrade on accuracy in order to upgrade "reliability". I say that in quotes because other than some breaking in with the bolt after it was first built, it has behaved flawlessly, albeit I don't put a ton of rounds through it, maybe a few hundred a year.

Regarding the "get dirty fast" criticism of the HK, I thought that was a short-stroke piston? How is that "getting dirty"? I mean, suppressed, there will always be more fouling, but goes against my understanding of the action. What am I missing?

Now I'll have to rethink that as I don't want to downgrade on accuracy in order to upgrade "reliability"
smart thing, as you will rarely get a better quality or performance from anything mass built compared to your own custom build.
no matter what whoever says about it.

Heavy. Unwieldy. Scrapped my knuckles just charging it. Less accurate and higher recoil. Ammo non existent. Mediocre ergonomics. A dream rifle!

Interesting. I've got a DPMS pattern AR10 .308 that I custom built that is sub-moa with match ammo. I was considering selling it for a Knights SR-25, FN Scar 20, HK MR762 or an LWRC REPR 20". Now I'll have to rethink that as I don't want to downgrade on accuracy in order to upgrade "reliability". I say that in quotes because other than some breaking in with the bolt after it was first built, it has behaved flawlessly, albeit I don't put a ton of rounds through it, maybe a few hundred a year.

Regarding the "get dirty fast" criticism of the HK, I thought that was a short-stroke piston? How is that "getting dirty"? I mean, suppressed, there will always be more fouling, but goes against my understanding of the action. What am I missing?
No semi-auto 308 will be more accurate than your DPMS. I had one and foolishly sold it. That thing shot 168's very close together.

I'll get some more info from the field on the HK's: what they used for ammo, the"dirty" question, etc.

In order to push the heavier 6.8 round faster, they increased the chamber pressure from ~60,000 PSI to 80,000 PSI. They wanted a higher velocity because it is an easy way to pack more energy into each shot: Energy = Mass * Velocity^2
When they did that, the bases on the brass cases started failing, so they went to steel bases.
Originally they were a 4-piece design, but they simplified it and there is just a steel base and brass "tube" now.

I spoke to a Sig engineer in a class at Sig. He said they had the cost of making the 2-part "brass" down into the range of .308 brass now. Remember, making a brass case is pretty annoying. They start with a slug or disc of brass and have to press/spin it through many operations to form the brass case we know and love. Making it in 2 parts allows the manufacture of each half to be much more cheaply, but now the two halves need to be pressed (or welded, I am not sure) together.

I must admit I respect Sig for thinking "out of the box" and pushing the envelopes of what is possible in small arms, but that is where my enthusiasm for this concept ends...

In my poorly informed (and irrelevant) opinion, I think the Army trying to adopt the 6.8 round and a new rifle is idiotic.
Just look at the the American Rifleman magazine a couple months ago, where they had great data comparing rounds from armies around the world. The article is mostly about the squad automatic weapon version, but the info on the cartridges are still valid.
from An Official Journal Of The NRA | Return Of The Rifleman: The Next Generation Squad Weapons Program
squad10.jpg

The article is worth reading. By the numbers, the old .308 M-14 comes out looking darn good.
Sig's 6.8 looks worse than .308 in most categories and not significantly better than most rounds used by other armies today. It is heavier than the 5.56, so they have to reduce the number of rounds soldiers will carry. Sig's XM-5 rifles are also heavier than most other options and it seems to be expected that most will run with suppressors attached, making it more awkward (and light up like a beacon through thermals). I have not seen anyone talk about recoil, but if you are putting ~30% additional velocity into the bullet, that additional energy is obviously going right back into the shooter.
It does not seem like the extra energy per shot (bringing it up into the .308's energy) is worth adding an entirely new supply chain of ammo, magazines, rifles, parts, training, etc.

I suspect the Army is just bored with the M4/5.56, saw something new and shiny and grabbed it.
Honestly its nuts on another level current crank up a 6.5 grendel if your looking to make it hot... but what do i know

Sniper or DMR?
There are two versions.
- M110A1 CSASS (Compact Semi Auto Sniper System)
- M110A1 SDMR (Squad Designated Marksman Rifle)

The HKs PatMcD posted are the latter. Though, I believe the only difference, aside from who is issued them, is the optics. And as I understand it, the CSASS has fizzled while sniper sections continue to use the old KAC M110. Perhaps due to the accuracy issues PatMcD mentioned.

Note that there is no “DMR” in the Army. It is the SDM. One of the two “riflemen” in a squad. A role that has taken a while to become a part of the codified MTOE, despite being utilized for decades now.

Back
Top Bottom