Army chooses Sig Sauer to build Next Generation Squad Weapon.

This might be a stupid question, but how if at all reloadable this cartridge will be?
The all brass case is reloadable I’d imagine, at least it appear it is as there doesn’t seem to be anything special about it.

Not sure if I’d want to mess with the bonded polymer one.

This might be a stupid question, but how if at all reloadable this cartridge will be?
The polymer cartridges are one time use. From the gun magazine articles I’ve read on it, the polymer case makes the bullet go crazy fast....like I’d like to see it to believe it.

Good question.
Looks an awful lot like this-

The polymer cartridges are one time use. From the gun magazine articles I’ve read on it, the polymer case makes the bullet go crazy fast....like I’d like to see it to believe it.
Not being a military guy:

Is there any thought about people reusing brass during a prolonged occupation? I mean, we've been in various Middle East countries for over 2 decades now. How often does 'our' brass get reloaded an used against us? I guess further down the rabbit hole, does our 556 brass get melted down into x39 brass?

Does this happen? Is it a concern with the polymer case taking care of it?

"[The rifle] integrates a number of advanced technologies, including a variable magnification optic, backup etched reticle, laser rangefinder, ballistic calculator, atmospheric sensor suite, compass, Intra-Soldier Wireless, visible and infrared aiming lasers, and a digital display overlay..."

Great. "Intra-Soldier Wireless."

What's that, so Joe can GoPro his shots straight onto his Instatwitbook feedline wall? And does the whole weapons system get deadlined if the "atmospheric sensor suite" runs out of batteries?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Last edited:
so it was selected. Does this mean testing is all done and its actually approved and will 100% replace the M4 in coming decades, or was it selected and will undergo final testing like the XM8 system did....only to be ruled down the road its not worth it and canceled?

Is it a concern with the polymer case taking care of it?
Can't comment on the rest, but you're not the first to say this and I want to catch us all up - this cartridge might have a composite case, but not a polymer one. It has a stainless case head attached to a brass body by some third (proprietary) piece. The few things I've seen claim it's not reloadable, but they're not clear why.

Can't comment on the rest, but you're not the first to say this and I want to catch us all up - this cartridge might have a composite case, but not a polymer one. It has a stainless case head attached to a brass body by some third (proprietary) piece. The few things I've seen claim it's not reloadable, but they're not clear why.
Cool. I'm the ahole in the back of a class that always asks 'why' when told something is a certain way. If I dig the 'why', I can buy in on the situation.

"[The rifle] integrates a number of advanced technologies, including a variable magnification optic, backup etched reticle, laser rangefinder, ballistic calculator, atmospheric sensor suite, compass, Intra-Soldier Wireless, visible and infrared aiming lasers, and a digital display overlay..."

Great. "Intra-Soldier Wireless."

What's that, so Joe can GoPro his shots straight onto his Instatwitbook feedline wall? And does the whole weapons system get deadlined if the "atmospheric sensor suite" runs out of batteries?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Plus it has this thing in the stock that tells time.

Cool. I'm the ahole in the back of a class that always asks 'why' when told something is a certain way. If I dig the 'why', I can buy in on the situation.
If I were to hazard a guess - whatever mojo they have going on connecting the head and body doesn't reliably survive the firing cycle due to differential expansion between the brass, stainless, and "connector."

1. Looks like a metric S-ton of surplus .223 will come on line in teh next few years. Not surplus like "oh we had 48 million rounds sitting around" but suddenly everyone wants to dump it b/c "this new thing" is coming out.

2. What is the point of creating a new catridge? Not 6.8 vs. 5.56. But .227 McFLurry verus 6.8SPC or 6.8WTF or whatever. I mean, is it just a pile of arrogance. "Oh we can get the contract AND name the cartridge after ourselves." I'd make that a condition of the contract. "Sorry, the cartridge can be designed by you but can't use your name." ;). I guess 38S&W and 45Colt are obvious ones as well. But those were actual changed cartridges. I'm thinking the incremental "benefits" of anything 228McFlurry is not that measurable. (Besides, the .mil will F with it just enough to negate all of it. LOL)

3. Usher in the new ".22 caliber is not a man stopper" era. It won't last that long. Hell, the "9mm is not an effective man stopper" was only about 20-25 years.

Somewhat unsurprising. The Textron entry just had an operating system that was too complex. The General Dynamics had the most interesting option, but the US military just isn't ever going to go bullpup. I hope the General Dynamics comes to the civilian market though at a reasonable price (pipe dream).

Maybe now that Sig won the contract, they can consider lowering the $7,999 civilian price tag. They no longer need to rely on civilians to subsidize the program costs.

so it was selected. Does this mean testing is all done and its actually approved and will 100% replace the M4 in coming decades, or was it selected and will undergo final testing like the XM8 system did....only to be ruled down the road its not worth it and canceled?

Ultimately congress sets the budget, so if they don’t like the choice they can decide to not fund it or order a redo.

Somewhat unsurprising. The Textron entry just had an operating system that was too complex. The General Dynamics had the most interesting option, but the US military just isn't ever going to go bullpup. I hope the General Dynamics comes to the civilian market though at a reasonable price (pipe dream).

Maybe now that Sig won the contract, they can consider lowering the $7,999 civilian price tag. They no longer need to rely on civilians to subsidize the program costs.

As if their regular MCX is worth $2,600 base price. LOL

They've gone Colt on us. Maybe they can have FN make them for them and just keep the license. ;)

Back
Top Bottom