• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Armslist mandatory upgrade.

I think the opposite. This may be the only thing which Saves armslist.

They must be suffering from massive overload due to the panic right now.

Horrible time to make a change, but it may be the only thing which makes the bleeding stop. And if the end product is better, then so be it.

At least in my personal situation, I don't have days to drive around to 30 gun shops to save $10. And I have in a decade. A two hour errand to buy some ammo, or sell an AR at a loss takes weeks to recover from in terms of lost time.

If the new Armslist costs me $5 to initiate a comm about a purchase with someone I know already had to pay the $5, I also know my chances of that being a scam are 1/100th of what they were pre $5.

You don't get scammed by just insisting meeting up local. Most scammers make their location some out of the way place in the corner of the state and then over to ship (or just have State only and then wait for you to say you're in X city and say they're on Y city). The worst part about Armslist has always been tire kickers and flakes, but this will reduce the volume of people using the site for sure.

If you want to post ads on the free account you can always edit current listings (or re-activate old listings) and then edit in an obfuscated cell phone number or throw away email account. Or put your contact info as a picture in your listing. If there were other options (sorry, but NES isn't great for trying to sell anything in NH, need a subforum for it..) like FB marketplace or craigslist or whatever it would be one thing, but they're the only game in town for local sales besides local forums. Gunbroker is OK if you're willing to ship but no good way to take online payment that doesn't risk your account getting closed..

Oh well, maybe for the best. Been trying to sell 9mm ammo at 50cpr for the last week and only got tire kickers.

You don't get scammed by just insisting meeting up local. Most scammers make their location some out of the way place in the corner of the state and then over to ship (or just have State only and then wait for you to say you're in X city and say they're on Y city). The worst part about Armslist has always been tire kickers and flakes, but this will reduce the volume of people using the site for sure.

If you want to post ads on the free account you can always edit current listings (or re-activate old listings) and then edit in an obfuscated cell phone number or throw away email account. Or put your contact info as a picture in your listing. If there were other options (sorry, but NES isn't great for trying to sell anything in NH, need a subforum for it..) like FB marketplace or craigslist or whatever it would be one thing, but they're the only game in town for local sales besides local forums. Gunbroker is OK if you're willing to ship but no good way to take online payment that doesn't risk your account getting closed..

Oh well, maybe for the best. Been trying to sell 9mm ammo at 50cpr for the last week and only got tire kickers.

At $.50/round, people probably thought you were the scam for being so low!

If you want to post ads on the free account you can always edit current listings (or re-activate old listings) and then edit in an obfuscated cell phone number or throw away email account. Or put your contact info as a picture in your listing.
I must be missing something here. If you have ads up now on Armslist you can still edit them without paying? Are you sure about that?

I must be missing something here. If you have ads up now on Armslist you can still edit them without paying? Are you sure about that?

Yes. You have to do it from your phone or click the post control link in your email to do it. Trying to manage your post through logging in and using your account menu doesn't work.

No one will be able to hit the contact you button and have it work though, you'll need to upload a picture of your contact info or add in contact info to the ad manually

Yes. You have to do it from your phone or click the post control link in your email to do it. Trying to manage your post through logging in and using your account menu doesn't work.

No one will be able to hit the contact you button and have it work though, you'll need to upload a picture of your contact info or add in contact info to the ad manually

Exactly what I did. If you deleted or lost your control links, then you're SOL.
So far most of the ammo listings are still scams, so all this did was screw with the occasional legit sellers.

Just checked using Incognito mode and signed out, wouldn't let me contact someone. What ad did you try it on? (I've been wondering if people who paid have their contact button enabled for free users).

Just checked using Incognito mode and signed out, wouldn't let me contact someone. What ad did you try it on? (I've been wondering if people who paid have their contact button enabled for free users).
Maybe it works only on premium vender posts.,. This one works for me, but other ones still dont

Yeah the contact option works on that post. I wonder if a personal account that's paid would also work.

So I guess the model is for them to make everyone pay to list but free to contact, but they just botched it up with all the old ads. They need to disable all the old ads or people are not going to want to try and click contact me on every ad just to see if it works. Can't see if the listing is paid or not just by looking.

Seems like it was sloppily done.

very sloppy. I actually wouldn't mind that. A $3 or so fee to list things, because a couple bucks for legit sellers is nothing, but it would stop a lot of the scammers or bots from posting

very sloppy. I actually wouldn't mind that. A $3 or so fee to list things, because a couple bucks for legit sellers is nothing, but it would stop a lot of the scammers or bots from posting

I don't think it would stop anything. Get a prepaid visa gift card, register, scam a dude out of $1500 or $400 or whatever without impacting a scammer's bottom line.

They need to have a yearly discount option for personal accounts. I'd probably do $20/yr to sell stuff locally. I'd want the ability to block people vs my own private black list.

They are trying to screen filter some of the turds floating through armslist. Bottom feeders won't pay.
Neither will legitimate posters. I'd be willing to pay a small amount for each listing (it's still be less than GunBroker, maybe) but I'm not going to pay to offer someone money to buy their item.
You even need a pay account to contact a seller. That will kill off Armslist. A seller might be motivated to pay, but not a buyer.
Exactly.
I am curious also. I usually try to look for 1911's in the Classifieds. Did I miss this or are you bypassing NES? (not trying to be negative, just asking).
NES doesn't work for me, since a majority of the readers/buyers/sellers live in the large population areas. ArmsList is somewhat of the same problem, but at least I can tailor the ad to highlight my local area.
Countdown until I cancel my $30/mo premium account because no one can/will contact me anymore... 3....2...
I tested "contacting" a dealer. They can be reached, apparently because they have paid accounts. I've tried several sellers, and am told that I have to upgrade to contact them. Either they are not paid accounts, or for non-dealer both parties must be paying. Either way, AL is now out of the equation. I emailed them to ask if I now had to pay just to buy (since they still mention regular vs. premium accounts) and this is what I got in response:
Due to circumstances beyond our control, we have had to move forward and take the site in a slightly different direction. Fortunately, despite this, we are working hard to make the site MUCH better for law abiding Americans, and MUCH worse for those that are not law abiding Americans. Scammers have tried to prey upon Armslist users in the past, and while we may not eradicate their presence 100%, we will eradicate the vast majority. People have complained of impolite offers and communications from users with bad manners. That will be nearly eradicated with the new version of the site. And lastly, the financial, emotional, human, and other costs of the never-ending legal assaults on Armslist have made it impossible for us to keep the site free in the way it was in the past. Thank you for your support, and welcome to the new Armslist.com.

I tested "contacting" a dealer. They can be reached, apparently because they have paid accounts. I've tried several sellers, and am told that I have to upgrade to contact them. Either they are not paid accounts, or for non-dealer both parties must be paying. Either way, AL is now out of the equation.
That's how it seems to be working for me as of this morning. Paying dealers can be contacted through the system. Private sellers cannot be contacted through the system. So private sellers who are not posting personal contact information in their ads cannot be reached unless you pay to contact them. I don't see myself doing that (i.e., paying to contact) since so few of them actually ever answer my inquiries. :confused:

I emailed them to ask if I now had to pay just to buy (since they still mention regular vs. premium accounts) and this is what I got in response:
Due to circumstances beyond our control, we have had to move forward and take the site in a slightly different direction. Fortunately, despite this, we are working hard to make the site MUCH better for law abiding Americans, and MUCH worse for those that are not law abiding Americans. Scammers have tried to prey upon Armslist users in the past, and while we may not eradicate their presence 100%, we will eradicate the vast majority. People have complained of impolite offers and communications from users with bad manners. That will be nearly eradicated with the new version of the site. And lastly, the financial, emotional, human, and other costs of the never-ending legal assaults on Armslist have made it impossible for us to keep the site free in the way it was in the past. Thank you for your support, and welcome to the new Armslist.com.
Well, good luck to them. Scammers certainly are a problem on Armslist. I don't see these changes as the solution, but I do see the changes affecting how I will use Armslist. Private sellers had better post contact information or Fuggedaboutit! :cool:

I think the "scammers" argument is just cover for Armslist wanting to monetize the site, for whatever reason. I find no more scammers on Armslist than on Craigslist, yet Craigslist seems to be able to continue without a pay model.

I've seen people starting to list their contact info in their ad, or on their pictures, but that's just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. Armlist will soon fall into the "remember" category, as in "Remember when we used to buy and sell for free on that site called 'Armslist?'"

I think the "scammers" argument is just cover for Armslist wanting to monetize the site, for whatever reason. I find no more scammers on Armslist than on Craigslist, yet Craigslist seems to be able to continue without a pay model.

I've seen people starting to list their contact info in their ad, or on their pictures, but that's just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. Armlist will soon fall into the "remember" category, as in "Remember when we used to buy and sell for free on that site called 'Armslist?'"
Its still the best place to sell a firearm. Until that changes, i don't see them going anywhere in the near future.

I think Armslist seriously stepped on their d*** here and opened the door to some competition. I hope someone jumps on it.

I think Armslist seriously stepped on their d*** here and opened the door to some competition. I hope someone jumps on it.
I'm trying to set up a website, but just for NH gun owners to sell/trade/buy.
Small amount of money and little options.
Too much. Not paying them $4/mo (ACH rate) to just browse someone else's ads when they don't respond 1/2 of the time, are half way across the state and have to be a paying member to receive contacts as well. I'd pay per ad to sell, but not "per month" if I'm not using when I'm not selling, and just to get all of the skin-flinters that I've had recently (just before the change). I'll usually take less, but not 1/2, and then drive half way across the state and then throw in mags and ammo too.

I'm trying to set up a website, but just for NH gun owners to sell/trade/buy.

Too much. Not paying them $4/mo (ACH rate) to just browse someone else's ads when they don't respond 1/2 of the time, are half way across the state and have to be a paying member to receive contacts as well. I'd pay per ad to sell, but not "per month" if I'm not using when I'm not selling, and just to get all of the skin-flinters that I've had recently (just before the change). I'll usually take less, but not 1/2, and then drive half way across the state and then throw in mags and ammo too.
Perhaps to much for you but for many they don't know they have other options. Most of my interactions with people on armslist are gun owners who have no idea what gun broker is.

Perhaps to much for you but for many they don't know they have other options. Most of my interactions with people on armslist are gun owners who have no idea what gun broker is.
I take gunbroker into consideration. I look at what sold items go for (as compared to "They're selling on GB for $xxx" (and not actually selling). Unfortunately, with the high price shipping, I know that I've passed on several items. Add the GB fee, transfer fee, and I was usually off trying to sell locally. My last rifle I just consigned locally, and will get smoked on it, but it's less hassle.

Another detriment to GB is that a lot of dealers won't allow local pick up, even if in state. Just my .02

I take gunbroker into consideration. I look at what sold items go for (as compared to "They're selling on GB for $xxx" (and not actually selling). Unfortunately, with the high price shipping, I know that I've passed on several items. Add the GB fee, transfer fee, and I was usually off trying to sell locally. My last rifle I just consigned locally, and will get smoked on it, but it's less hassle.

Another detriment to GB is that a lot of dealers won't allow local pick up, even if in state. Just my .02
I agree 100% which is why sites like armslist will continue to survive. That is unless a new outlet is created that is free but even that takes time for people to know it exists. NES has been around for a long time and 8 out of every 10 gun owners i ask have not heard of it.

Lol only time will tell, there aren't that many places that allow gun ads or similar. It's pretty much the two big auction sites (GB and GA?) and armslist, as well as a bunch of regional boards like
NES that allow classifieds. Faceplant censors gun stuff hard so its a non starter. (at least for people selling or trading privately that aren't dealers/dealer pages.

Scams still happen on paid boards on a fairly regular basis. Paying for a board is only logical if there is a feedback section. Low or no feedback is a risk you need to be willing to take. Too bad, I've bought and sold a few things on Armslist with smooth transactions.

Back
Top Bottom