• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

armslist, etc., now i need schooling, please

greencobra

NES Member
i hate school, make it simple so an old nit wit understands. one, i have a pistol to sell. two, i want maximum exposure and three, i want to squeeze the maximum amount out of a collector.

i've used armslist. i have an open account. but i've only bought parts. never sold a gun. so, to sell my gun, do you think this is a good way to go, one of these on line sites? i just planned to keep it simple, call carl, and hopefully use him to transfer and ship...and be done with it. provided it sells.

i also realize there are other sites that list and sell online but don't recall any right now. but my question...which outlet is the best? and how does one handle the funds? i just want to be assured i receive the money. i desperately want to stay away from paypal. don't mind paying someone via that outlet but don't want to receive using them. you get it, right.

so what do i need to know, please. and whats the best venue to sell online? maybe in the end i'll go a different route. thanks for the guidance you'll be giving me, steering me straight on this journey.

I've been looking for a pretty specific rifle and some of the prices I've seen on Gunbroker are crazy high. That said, if I wanted to sell and maximize exposure and price Gunbroker is the place.

I tried to make a deal on Armslist once. The seller was a bigger flake than any Craigslist idiot or Facebook Marketplace vanisher I've ever dealt with.

I've never been back particularly now it's pay-to-play up front.

Gunbroker for max exposure and dollars. I've sold a number of firearms there for significantly more than what was being offered to me locally. Blank slide Beretta 92FS? Got tons of 400-450 offers. Sold it for $900 via auction. Bernardelli 9mm? Got offered $600. Sold for $1k. But, like any venue, it still requires someone to be actively searching for what you're selling, and enough parties interested to drive up the price. And it's a matter of what forms of payment you choose to accept.

Armslist works better in larger states. I sold dozens of firearms in GA before I moved from there. Up here? More state lines/FFLs to deal with. No way to search NH/MA/VT/CT/ME all at once. Gotta go state by state, then find someone who's willing to ship. Only had one no show, out of all the deals in GA. It's very easy to filter out people that will waste your time. Armslist itself has annoyed me, though, with suddenly changing a lot about their fees and locking accounts.

NES has a similar pitfall about exposure. Seems like most (Or at least a very large amount) members are in MA. Doesn't do you much good if the firearm you want to buy is in VT/NH/ME, unless you're ready to jump through hoops. NES does have a rating system, but if your seller/buyer hasn't done many deals...that doesn't help. Do you want to buy a $800 gun from someone with 5 feedback, or the same gun for $900, from someone with 1,000 feedback?

With any online site, if you want to be assured of the funds, only accept funds you feel confident in. I don't do paypal/venmo, any of that. Needs to be a money order or bank certified check. And it's going to my bank and getting checked out before the firearm moves at all. When I ship, I take tons of photos of how I packed it, what the box looks like, shipping label, everything. It won't stop someone being lousy, but covers me completely if they want to cry foul somehow.

Gunbroker has been good for me.

I'll cross post on NES but most people are extremely cheap here, and you don't get the exposure.

When I dont feel like dealing with internet sales and/or shipping I'll take it up to KTP and store credit usually isn't bad. However on something collectable, I would never do that.
Gunbroker for sure there or your leaving money on the table.

Gunbroker - Or if there's a forum for that particular pistol where the collector crowd hangs out, might be worth investigating what it takes to use their classifieds.

Why are you all saying NES is cheap?

You just have to sell something people want at a non stupid price because you feel your gun should be worth it.

Half the guns being sold here are pieces of sh*t guns with half the parts replaced, then expect someone else to pay for all those "tacticool" parts you people add. $450 gun selling for $1K because "OMG, LOOK AT THIS GOLD BARREL I ADDED, GIVES +60FPS AND THE $5 RED MAG RELEASE MAKES IT SO AERODYNAMIC, YOU CAN DRAW YOUR GUN 0.003 SECONDS FASTER"

I know people sometimes have a hard time with truth, but the truth is, if no one is buying your gun, your price blows or you a selling some plastic gun everyone is tired of and you won't get much more on GB.

Then there are the ones that want to dump their sh*t $150 Amazon scope with it + their 2K rounds of ammo they overpaid for and now expect you to overpay for. [rofl]

Every gun I sold here people paid what I asked for. Every gun I bought, I paid what they asked for.

Last edited:

You just have to sell something people want at a non stupid price because you feel your gun should be worth it.

Half the guns being sold here are pieces of sh*t guns with half the parts replaced, then expect someone else to pay for all those "tacticool" parts you people add. $450 gun selling for $1K because "OMG, LOOK AT THIS GOLD BARREL I ADDED, GIVES +60FPS AND THE $5 RED MAG RELEASE MAKES IT SO AERODYNAMIC, YOU CAN DRAW YOUR GUN 0.003 SECONDS FASTER"

I know people sometimes have a hard time with truth, but the truth is, if no one is buying your gun, your price blows or you a selling some plastic gun everyone is tired of and you won't get much more on GB.

Then there are the ones that want to dump their sh*t $150 Amazon scope with it + their 2K rounds of ammo they overpaid for and now expect you to overpay for. [rofl]

Every gun I sold here peoppe paid what I asked for. Every gun I bought, I paid what they asked for.

While I agree with everything you said, I also would say it doesn't apply well to the collector gun the OP's selling. If I want to sell something collectible on NES, I probably already know who to message about it and don't need to put it in the classifieds. For maximum collector exposure and maximum price, GB or a make specific forum's classifieds is going to beat the NES non-collector crowd every time.

The out of state FFLs on Armslist sometimes would be happy to do some extra work - strip the slide, barrel and send those to your house. Send the lower pistol to your FFL of your choice. They hold onto and pocket the included 'high CAP CLIPS' as a tip for their hard work. You get whatever pistol you want, just gotta buy your own cuck mags.

I'm a relative new guy here, so I don't know everything, but there's a phrase I've learned on these forums very early on that may help you out. I think it goes, "No buy, only sell"... or something like that. I'm still learning myself.

sounds like gunbroker, hands down. i believe i buy parts off there also...or have in the past.

what is it that you're selling ??
i know this crowd, nothing anyone would be interested in. if coaxed, i may list it here also. no donkey rules...or whatever those stupid rules are people like to reference. going up warts and all.
i want to ask a really stupid price. someone on a national site might pay it...then see where it takes me.

i have a pistol to sell. two, i want maximum exposure and three, i want to squeeze the maximum amount out of a collector.
No question: Gunbroker, unless you can identify a brand-specific forum with a classified section. The latter will save on fees while the former gives you the possibility of a bidding war erupting between collectors that could really up the profit.

i want to ask a really stupid price. someone on a national site might pay it...then see where it takes me.
Then GB is the place to sell it.

Could start a bidding at the minimum you are willing to get and see what happens or put it with a fixed price.

Every gun I sold here people paid what I asked for. Every gun I bought, I paid what they asked for.
it's obvious.

any other forum that had a flobert parlor rifle listed at that price, it would have been purchased within hours, not years!

i too have sold a few pieces on here and purchased a few. i like dealing with local people, as cash is my preferred payment. but if i has some real collectable piece ( like an antique pedestal sink) , there are better places to capitalize on the sale!

The out of state FFLs on Armslist sometimes would be happy to do some extra work - strip the slide, barrel and send those to your house. Send the lower pistol to your FFL of your choice. They hold onto and pocket the included 'high CAP CLIPS' as a tip for their hard work. You get whatever pistol you want, just gotta buy your own cuck mags.
wtf has this got to do with the price of anything?

Starting this year, I belive Gunbroker will be submitting a 1099 to the IRS, so factor that into your equation.

Because.....I price my guns accordingly for quick sale.....usually right at where KTP will give me store credit for it.......sometimes lower. If its a lightly used normal gun, I take at least 100-150 off of the lowest price you can buy it new on the internet for........sometimes more.

And in nearly every post, I've gotten one or two muttonheads that try to lowball me like WAAAYYYY lower than that.....yes I ignore them...but thats just the beginning. That doesn't actually bother me because it takes up 0 if my time.

Then there are the tire kickers that hem and haw and then ask for lower, and the people that ask 17 questions on a basic gun, even after seeing the 10 pics, then ask for lower.
All this even after posting in the original post that, I'm firm, I know the value. They are just all over the place here..........but Im realistic, and eventually get a buyer reasonably quick.

Now, its either Gunbroker or just Trade at KTP if I want to buy something up there because in most cases, Ill get more at KTP for store credit than I will here, and its easy, no shipping, no BS other than going up there. I just did a big safe clean and traded 8 guns up there because I didn't want to deal with the BS, and they were very fair. In every trade I would have undoubtedly gotten less or equal here, for a lot more work and running around. One gun, I brought back home because they were unreasonable, but also said, they had no idea what they were looking at because it wasn't a standard gun that had a lot of comps.

No big deal....on Gunbroker that Dickenson 28 gauge S/S will go crossposted here...but there will be NFW it will sell here.

I left money on the table not going to gunbroker, but shipping and dealing with transactions on 8 guns NFW. If I was retired or something fine, but it didn't matter. I will still cross post here on single guns...but inevitably Gunbroker gets the sale 90% of the time now for way more money....just more exposure and you get the guy that will pay more.

The best sales here have been going to the WTB and finding people that want something you have for sale. That was my last sale here and it went perfect with no BS.

Last edited:
Then GB is the place to sell it.

Could start a bidding at the minimum you are willing to get and see what happens or put it with a fixed price.
Penny bid with a realistic reserve to really get the bidding wars going. Fear of loss is a powerful motivator.

Lots of truth here (especially the part in bold). More and more, FFLs are telling me that they won't even accept any of the common plastic guns for consignment, let alone take them in trade or buy them outright. New current versions are so cheap these days that used earlier versions don't make any sense at all for most buyers.

Apparently on here. You add the word Preban. And the price jumps sky high.

If you have a specific item. That has appeal in certain circles. An example. A Browning Hi-Power. Pre WW2. I'd for to the collector forum for that gun. Chat back and forth. Then post it up for sale there. You will get better hits than a general place like here.

But, when using gunbroker. You may need to pay tax. Just be aware

Lots of truth here (especially the part in bold). More and more, FFLs are telling me that they won't even accept any of the common plastic guns for consignment, let alone take them in trade or buy them outright. New current versions are so cheap these days that used earlier versions don't make any sense at all for most buyers.
Lot of FFL's aren't taking AR's, Lowers, and plastic pistols anymore. (out of state ones anyway) their shelves are overflowing with that shit. When I was up at KTP....I overheard the counter guy saying we are not taking lowers or AR's any more in trade.

Another reason I didn't use Gunbroker on that safe clean.......taxes would add up on that stuff.

Back
Top Bottom