Are you a fan of double action only?

FLHTC

NES Member
I've shot the Glocks and the M&P's and I just can't seem to get use to the long trigger pull. I cut my teeth on 1911's so I love the crisp short triggers. But I was wondering what other people thought about the double action only?

Not a fan of DAO. I pretty much bought a Glock due to it's ability to accept high cap mags. I'm more of a hammer fired vs striker fired kinda guy.

Glocks, M&P's, and other striker style autos can not be correctly called DAO. A true DAO will have a much longer trigger stroke typically and has a double strike ability.

That said, they all have their place. My preferred action is single just for simplicity and good crisp triggers, but I carry DAO revolvers and striker semi's. (used to carry a DAO semi, but prefer the higher capacity in the striker versions.)

Striker fired are the PHD of handguns.

Push
Here
Dummy

The essence of simplicity, but everything is a trade off.

I don't have a preference, I just like certain guns for their own merits.. I love my Glock, don't like the M&P, love my husbands Browning hi-power, and Colt 1911.. We have a ruger 9mm, which has the worst trigger ever..

I like my 4013tsw DA on first shot SA after, plus the ambi decock safty. Have to commit to that first shot with a stouter pull.

I like the light(er) trigger pull of most striker fired guns. I have an XD, and have fired a glock, a P239, and a revolver.

I like the idea of knowing that each trigger pull will be identical (not DA, followed by SA).

That being said, I REAALY want a P239 in my collection. It felt like it was melting into my hand when I picked it up and fired it.

I also want a 4" 1911, and a Ruger LCR.

Does this make me a hypocrite?

I like the 1911 single action trigger the best, the S&W 1911 that I have has what may be the perfect handgun trigger pull. Next to that I like the Beretta 92's double/single action.

I do have an M&P 9mm though, and there is a place for it. It is not as nice to shoot as a single action, but I understand the reasoning that was used to design it.

It's not something that delights you when you shoot it but for police or other working users, it makes sense, there's two less things (the safety and decocker) to worry about messing up when under pressure.

I like the 1911 single action trigger the best, the S&W 1911 that I have has what may be the perfect handgun trigger pull. Next to that I like the Beretta 92's double/single action.

I do have an M&P 9mm though, and there is a place for it. It is not as nice to shoot as a single action, but I understand the reasoning that was used to design it.

It's not something that delights you when you shoot it but for police or other working users, it makes sense, there's two less things (the safety and decocker) to worry about messing up when under pressure.

Agreed on all above. 1911's trigger/ safety system is my favorite. Carrying cocked and locked is the most comfortable for me. I have a Kahr K40 that's a great carry gun but I'm always mindful that there's nothing but weight to stop the trigger from being depressed. I've tested it unloaded with the holster I use for it (Done Hum IWB) to see if its possible to make it fire upon re-holstering. As in, if the edge of the reinforced mouth of the holster could catch on the trigger. Doesn't look that way but I'm always aware that its like carrying a DA revolver with a very light DA pull.

No. i am not a fan of DAO. I prefer a Single Action pistol such as a 1911 or a single action revolver such as a Colt SAA.

I'm not a fan of true DAO, I'd rather have a striker or DA/SA. I definitely prefer the one step approach to the first shot (pull it till it goes bang), but even the relatively smooth DA pull on my 92FS is too heavy for quick reliable follow ups. I definitely prefer either to SA only, however, I just don't like having the extra movement (cock, and or unlock) between me and the first bang.

I own both styles.

I like the Glock trigger due to the trigger reset it has. All of the Glock Instructor schools I have been to in the past really, really preach "trigger reset" and I live by it and train all my officers on it as well.

Trigger reset is essentially imperative to get good controled shots because it minimizes the amount of travel your trigger finger needs to move to fire multiple shots which can drastically reduce muzzle movement. Example is this... fire a shot by squeezing the trigger and after the weapon discharges make a concious effort to maintain pressure on the trigger. Then slowly release the trigger and at approximately 1/4 of the way out you will hear and feel an audible click and that is as far as you need to go back and you can get another shot off. That is "trigger reset" and the Glocks have an incredibly deliberate and sharp reset and I love it. Glock is really big on trigger reset and I have seen shooters at various schools (myself included) greatly improve their shot placment due to making trigger reset a common practice for multiple shots. It just eliviates needless trigger finger movement (finger bouce) which can greatly increase unwanted muzzle movement.

I prefer the Glock triggers the best because of their sharp resets.

Rob

Last edited:
I definitely prefer either to SA only, however, I just don't like having the extra movement (cock, and or unlock) between me and the first bang.

That is why it is already cocked. Then you just have to unlock. And unlocking is a natural motion, once trained to do so, that places your thumb in a position, which I find, actually gives you more control over the firearm.

Glock triggers are fairly short in travel, but they have that nasty, mushy, creepy feel and then the plastic sproing. I've seen some folks shoot amazingly well with them, so clearly I just need to tighten the nut behind the trigger...

That is why it is already cocked. Then you just have to unlock. And unlocking is a natural motion, once trained to do so, that places your thumb in a position, which I find, actually gives you more control over the firearm.

However natural, it's still one extra movement. I don't own a 1911 yet, and haven't spent much time with them, so I can't be certain that it would be a significant problem, but I can't see it as an advantage.

However natural, it's still one extra movement. I don't own a 1911 yet, and haven't spent much time with them, so I can't be certain that it would be a significant problem, but I can't see it as an advantage.

You're concerned about extra movement on a 1911 thumb safety, yet you prefer the long heavy extra movement of a double action trigger? The long heavy trigger pull is going to have much more of an effect on your ability to hit what you are aiming for. Give the 1911 platform a shot. I think you'll see what I mean. It certainly doesn't seem like an extra motion to me. Seems like your thumb belongs there anyway, and adds to the controlability of the pistol during recoil. So, in a sense, having a much better trigger pull, and more control of the pistol during recoil, to me is actually a signifficant advantage.

Besides, moving your thumb safety down takes no longer than moving your index finger from the outside of the trigger guard, to the trigger. And you are supposed to practice this sort of trigger discipline. If you need to fire, you need to move your index finger from the spot that it rests, to the spot where it begins the trigger pull. Same thing for your thumb, only you just need to apply downward pressure, which to me at least, seems to be the proper location and adds to the ability to control the firearm. It is almost like they thought of this when they designed it this way. [wink]

You're concerned about extra movement on a 1911 thumb safety, yet you prefer the long heavy extra movement of a double action trigger? The long heavy trigger pull is going to have much more of an effect on your ability to hit what you are aiming for. Give the 1911 platform a shot. I think you'll see what I mean. It certainly doesn't seem like an extra motion to me. Seems like your thumb belongs there anyway, and adds to the controlability of the pistol during recoil. So, in a sense, having a much better trigger pull, and more control of the pistol during recoil, to me is actually a signifficant advantage.

Besides, moving your thumb safety down takes no longer than moving your index finger from the outside of the trigger guard, to the trigger. And you are supposed to practice this sort of trigger discipline. If you need to fire, you need to move your index finger from the spot that it rests, to the spot where it begins the trigger pull. Same thing for your thumb, only you just need to apply downward pressure, which to me at least, seems to be the proper location and adds to the ability to control the firearm. It is almost like they thought of this when they designed it this way. [wink]
To me there's no "right way" to shoot, be it DAO, SA or whatever. It's mostly an issue of how you're trained and "muscle memory." If you train and train DAO or double/single and then go to, say, a 1911 cock and lock, there will be a significant re-training curve until you ingrain those habits of switching off safety.

This is why I don't carry guns with such a safety - too much time in using D/S (Sig P229).

Like I said, no right way or wrong way in my opinion, just whatever works for you in your training regimen.

The long heavy trigger pull is going to have much more of an effect on your ability to hit what you are aiming for.
Strangely I find that not to be the case.

But then, after creating a blister on my trigger finger from so much revolver shooting, I think I can handle it.

Put me in the camp that has no interest whatsoever in 1911s or High Powers.

To me there's no "right way" to shoot, be it DAO, SA or whatever. It's mostly an issue of how you're trained and "muscle memory." If you train and train DAO or double/single and then go to, say, a 1911 cock and lock, there will be a significant re-training curve until you ingrain those habits of switching off safety.

This is why I don't carry guns with such a safety - too much time in using D/S (Sig P229).

Like I said, no right way or wrong way in my opinion, just whatever works for you in your training regimen.

I'm not really a fan of safeties either. But If it bothered me on a 1911 to the point where I would rather carry a DA, I'd carry a revolver. But, I actually like the thumb safety on a 1911. I don't really know why. If it wasn't a safety, it would make a perfect thumb rest, and I wouldn't want to shoot a 1911 without one. I've tried putting my thumb below it to imagine what it would be like without the thumb safety, and it just feels awkward and out of control.

Then, come to think of it, I can't shoot double actions for shit anyway. I've always shot DA revolvers in single action. And I mostly shoot single action revolvers anyway. Those and 1911's are what feel right to me. A glock feels just terrible in my hand, I can't hit anything with them (especially on follow up shots) and I know I wouldn't be very good with it, except perhaps with extensive training. Me shooting a glock feels like trying to play ice hockey with a tire iron. I'll shoot twice as accurately in rapid fire at 25 yards with a single action revolver. That doesn't say much for my DAO abilities, does it? Or maybe I can just pretend it is because I'm good with the old SAA so I can feel better about myself.

Last edited:
There is no more "safe" semi-auto to carry than a DAO in my humble opinion. Do I prefer the crisp feel of my custom Para .45? Sure. But, my carry pistol is a Keltec P380. It's trigger has probably an 8 or 9 pound pull on it. If needed, the trigger won't be a hinderence in an emergency. However, it also provides enough resistance that it's safe to carry with no safetys and give you that extra second to think about what's happening. Very very simple and straight forward. I carry with one in the chamber all the time because the hammer is NOT cocked, ever. Again, very safe.

DAO has it's place and I prefer to carry with a DAO always. Just my preference.

Rome

Really, it is not a big deal. You can learn to manipulate it in less than a day. As you draw, when the barrel passes through 45 degree angle with the ground, you lower the safety, and keep your thumb on the safety. By the time you are up on target, the safety is already off.

When you are ready to reholster, collapse the gun back to your chest, verify again that the scene is safe, apply the safety and reholster.

There is no more "safe" semi-auto to carry than a DAO in my humble opinion.
Each action has its advantages and disadvantages. Take, for example, reholstering. With a 1911, if you mistakenly leave your finger on the trigger while reholstering, but you correctly remembered to apply the safety, what happens? Nothing. Do the same with a DAO or DA/SA without a safety (e.g., Sig) or striker-fired gun and you'll likely have an ND.

Does that mean that an SA is "safer" than a DAO (or DA/SA, or striker-fired, etc.)? Not IMHO. Each action type can be handled safely and each action type can be mishandled.

Try them all and see what works for you.

To throw my two cents in, I'm a fan of DAO mostly because I like not having to worry about flipping off a safety if I'm forced to react to a immenant threat. I've used SA guns with a safety for a while, but when at the range would not always train myself to disengage the safety before firing.

"Train as you would fight, because you will fight as you were trained."

Switched to a Sig DAK DAO, so now I don't worry about safeties but still have a decently crisp (6) pound maximum trigger that I can fire almost as quickly as my old SA gun.

The long heavy trigger pull is going to have much more of an effect on your ability to hit what you are aiming for.

Strangely I find that not to be the case.

I also find that not to be the case, at least with my Beretta 92. The Glock has a relatively light trigger anyway, so I can't really count it.

Really, it is not a big deal. You can learn to manipulate it in less than a day.

I'm not averse to the 1911 platform per se, I just prefer the Strikers and DA/SAs for defensive purposes.

Back
Top Bottom