Are there any small bore leagues in the Northeast?

The Edge Lab

Dealer
NES Member
I looked around and don't see a lot of small bore comps out there. Seems there's lots of high power, CMP and service rifle but not much else.

Am I missing it or is there not much?

Reason I ask is I'm interested in doing some rifle comps next year and pretty much have no idea what I should look into...so if anyone has any suggestions on where to start let me know. Thanks

http://www.baystategames.org/rifle-shooting

IIRC, a while back, someone started a thread about this, but I did noe monitor it, and don't know how much interest there was.

For whatever reason, it seems that it's more of a "kids" sport.

Shake the tree. Start something!
Thanks...I just may.

Also I see Leominster is having some winter rifle events that are open to all calibers.

I looked around and don't see a lot of small bore comps out there. Seems there's lots of high power, CMP and service rifle but not much else.

Am I missing it or is there not much?

Reason I ask is I'm interested in doing some rifle comps next year and pretty much have no idea what I should look into...so if anyone has any suggestions on where to start let me know. Thanks

Every gun club that I have belonged to (4 over the years) had a .22 rifle league, matches on Thursday nights. Check the various gun clubs near you.

I'm in a Thursday night team league that runs Jan-March.
There are numerous postal leagues.

Eastern Mass. Small Bore Rifle League is active at my club in Bedford, MA and I'm pretty sure a number of area clubs participate. They shoot Friday nights.

My club is Woburn Sportsmen's Association. Link is in my signature line. I believe its a travel league with the option to shoot at home. Membership info for WSA is on the website or swing by Sunday midmornings for office hours.

My club is Woburn Sportsmen's Association. Link is in my signature line. I believe its a travel league with the option to shoot at home. Membership info for WSA is on the website or swing by Sunday midmornings for office hours.
Great thanks!

I'm in a Thursday night team league that runs Jan-March.
There are numerous postal leagues.

Hey, an NES "postal" (or NES photo) league would be kind of cool.

This said, I know the Worcester Pistol and Rifle Club used to do a .22 pistol/revolver league. The members there were the remnants of the Heald/Norton/Morgan league. I think the Auburn Sportsmen's Club will also be trying to start one up soon. I'm not so sure about rifle, though. I think GOAL had something with kids .22 rifle.

at 50', almost anything is competitive. hell, i bet you could clean a bucket target easily with a 10/22.

@ 100yds, sure, it makes a difference

52's are competitive. Most everybody in my league shoots an Anschutz or a winchester 52. Maybe an old remington 37, Walther, or Russian job sprinkled in.

It has to be accurate to clean the prone relay. The 10 ring is .150" I think.

Last edited:
Anschutz 1413, almost as old as I am.

A SuperMatch is still on my shopping list...I shot the schools for 4yrs in college and always wanted to get my own. I'll own one eventually but another gun always seems to get ahead of it in the queue. Just something about drilling Xs with a gun that was twice as old as I was

When I get around to shooting the Reading league matches, I shoot my CMP Kimber model 82. It's a nice rifle, with decent sights at a decent price point (if you can find them!) and it shoots better than I can! I've had to back off of it over the past couple years because for whatever reason, shooting prone all slinged up on the cement floor was absolutely killing my elbow. Getting old sucks!

at 50', almost anything is competitive. hell, i bet you could clean a bucket target easily with a 10/22.

@ 100yds, sure, it makes a difference

What is a "bucket target"? You mean shooting at an old tin pail?

At 100 yards, I can barely see the 20" or so grey metal "gong" target with gravel background.

I mostly shoot trap - and my paper targets show it! [laugh]

WRT the accuracy of the rifles, IMO the shooter, and the shooter's mindset, is most important.

A young lady in my club's Junior Rifle program was shooting a few years ago, in practice...and brought back a 100-point offhand target. [shocked]

"Wow....nice!" I said.

"NO! They're BAD 10s!" she replied.

Guess that's why she got a Rifle scholarship! [laugh]

I know that most people in the gallery pistol league I shoot in have pistols that shoot better than they do. Myself very much included. [laugh]

Pembroke ma,old colony sportsman has a 200 yard off hand every Sunday in winter. Heated shooting area. Lots of 22 shooters. Any rifle any sights

Back
Top Bottom