Are there any "fun" ranges in MA?

Meaning... any ranges or areas open to the public where a person can shoot at objects other than paper bullseye targets?

I'm always reading on other firearms forums where people go out to some sand pit, dump, wooded area, etc and shoot-up anything they can think of... milk jugs, TVs, bottles, tennis balls, etc.

I'm planning to head up to Maine once the weather gets a little nicer!

My Cousin is just getting into shooting, so I might as well have him shoot his first TV [mg]

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

One of the big problems I continually hear concerning ranges where you can shoot at objects is that people are not very good about cleaning up said objects. This includes TVs, other glass objects, old appliances they haul to the range and leave, and other miscellaneous items.

Now, if you are the type that cleans up after yourself it's not so bad. But there always seems to be those who just want to make a mess and leave. Often does not make friends with the non-shooting population who sees the results.

At Mansfield, you can pretty much shoot anything you want as long as there's no glass in said object. But you do have to clean up after yourself.

Mansfield is a carry in/carry out club. We don't have trash cans for the members. What you bring in, you take out and throw away at your house.

So that in itself discourages people from shooting up things that might make a mess.

But I've taken Milk jugs, soda cans, my steel targets, clays, and several other things. I just pick up my trash when I'm done and go home.

I always bring several Stop and Shop bags with me to throw things away.

One of the big problems I continually hear concerning ranges where you can shoot at objects is that people are not very good about cleaning up said objects. This includes TVs, other glass objects, old appliances they haul to the range and leave, and other miscellaneous items.
That and ricochets. I've seen rounds go skyward at a machine gun shoot where they were shooting at lawnmowers. Bad juju unless you are way, way in the boonies.

That and ricochets. I've seen rounds go skyward at a machine gun shoot where they were shooting at lawnmowers. Bad juju unless you are way, way in the boonies.

Back in the early 80's we did a training mission to the UK. One of our fun events was a target range somewhere up in Scotland. All we had was some tracer ammo and around sunset it was amazing how many rounds could be seen taking off in different directions after bouncing off whatever we were hitting downrange.

FPrice said:
Back in the early 80's we did a training mission to the UK. One of our fun events was a target range somewhere up in Scotland. All we had was some tracer ammo and around sunset it was amazing how many rounds could be seen taking off in different directions after bouncing off whatever we were hitting downrange.

Tracers are great, as long as they're outbound.

Anything except tannerite,unfortunately ..But...Before you bring a TV to shoot up at our range,membership is just about mandatory.I would imagine most ranges are like this.

You should post your location and people can point you to a friendly range in your area.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom