AR15 in Massachusetts

I know plenty of people post about these things but I am looking at BCM light weight upper and am looking for suggestions since these barrels have threaded ends. I am looking for a 16" legal barrel once all is said and done.

14.5+welded compensator or muzzle brake?
16" and something simply threaded in and welded?
etc..

Thanks guys.

As long as it's over 16", and either doesn't have threads, or has a non-flash-suppressing muzzle device permanently attached (1100deg silver solder, or pin+weld), its good to go. If you start with a 14.5, you'll probably end up at 16.1 or so, and if you start with a 16, youll probably end up at 17.5 or so.

Either option works.

If you were to pick one, which would it be? I believe all the BCM barrels are threaded (at least the two I am looking at are. The 14.5 lightweight and the 16" lightweight) so I would need to do something regardless of length. Also I believe that most of them ship with a front sight that has a bayonet lug that I would need to remove.

If I were building an other carbine, that is the way I would do it. Weld a battlecomp 1.5 on the end and be happy.

I want to try a BC against a SJC Titan or my custom brake. The guys in m4carbine go nuts over them. I see were they are a good compromise on noise and effectiveness. but I think they are just that, a compromise. Got to give one a try to know for sure

I don't think it would come close to that SJC or the custom, but I also don't think I was designed too. I should have brought it with me to NB shoot, that upper would have actually run. [banghead]

If you were to pick one, which would it be? I believe all the BCM barrels are threaded (at least the two I am looking at are. The 14.5 lightweight and the 16" lightweight) so I would need to do something regardless of length. Also I believe that most of them ship with a front sight that has a bayonet lug that I would need to remove.

I run a 20", you'll never catch me with one of them there carbine length guns.

If you're trying to decide between 16 and 14.5 think about this.

We live in MA and any threaded barrel needs to be fixed. Just go with the 14.5 and get a rifle length upper later.

I just bought a BCM and found that they only offer an alternative to the flash hider in two ways...

First, is to select the option to install a PWS FSC556 compensator (permanently pinned and welded) to a 14.5" barrel. No compensator option on 16" barrels.
OR
Second, is to select a SS barrel with the same compensator, or a target crown barrel (no flash hider or muzzle brake).

I didn't see ANY other options on the web store, and it was virtually impossible to reach them by phone to explore any other options.

I'm thrilled with the BCM mid-length 14.5" compensated upper that I got.

That's sort of what I found too TItan

Thanks for confirming that I am not totally incapable of this. It is my first build/purchase of AR and it is more complicated than I wouid have thought to put together a decent gun for a reasonable price without going overboard.

Did you get a light weight, ss or other version? what did you do for handguards?

Its not really that complicated, there just is an overwhelming # of choices. What you need to do is find out what kind of shooting you will be doing and build a rifle around that. For handguards, I like JP/VTAC, I don't like railed forearms

Its not really that complicated, there just is an overwhelming # of choices. What you need to do is find out what kind of shooting you will be doing and build a rifle around that. For handguards, I like JP/VTAC, I don't like railed forearms

I want to give VTAC's a go if I ever build another rife. For now though, I find the Magpul MOE's really a solid, lightweight option. I have rail sections for my light, AFG and a swivel for my sling. It's GTG.

I hear you on the Battlecomps...I'd like to try one. Word on the street is they are as advertised, but would like to see one running...

14.5, with a mid length gas system. I'd just suck it up and go with the FSC556. I was stupid, accidentally bought a flash hider for 30 bucks, had it pinned for another 30, and then had to cut it off and pay another 60 for a cheap comp and have that pinned. Should have just started with the FSC556, and it hides flash pretty well from what I hear, while still being MA compliant.

I started out with full length hand guards on mine and traded them with a buddy for his specter length ones. I'd rather have that weight up front be from my light, not my forearm. I do wish they made something about 1/2 inch longer than the specter so it fully covered the gas block, but I like my rifle.

59310_1436668036696_1232820190_31211724_1754650_n.jpg

I've since swapped out the butt stock

Mike

Mike, why did you change the stock? Did you not like something about the Ace? I'm considering that one for my build, which is why I ask.

I went with a JP extra long 15.5" forearm for my 18" WOA build. Might be a bit long, but I am pretty pumped to get it finished.

Mike, why did you change the stock? Did you not like something about the Ace? I'm considering that one for my build, which is why I ask.

I use an ACE, and I love it. In fact, at the USPSA rifle match this past weekend, that was the majority of what I saw.

I liked the ace, nice, comfortable stock. I decided on getting an "adjustable" stock and pinning it at a slightly more comfortable length. Also balanced it out a little better. I just about broke even when I sold the ace.

Mike

BCM is top quality stuff. I would not wait for their light weight to get back in stock, the regular midlength 14.5" is not that much heavier and in stock.

Get the FSC556 pinned as well.

I use an ACE, and I love it. In fact, at the USPSA rifle match this past weekend, that was the majority of what I saw.

That's interesting - thanks. It does seem like a decent option since we can't have the collapsible type (working version, anyway). It looks pretty comfortable with the foam cheek rest also.

I liked the ace, nice, comfortable stock. I decided on getting an "adjustable" stock and pinning it at a slightly more comfortable length. Also balanced it out a little better. I just about broke even when I sold the ace.

Mike

So, did you end up making the new one shorter, or longer? Glad to hear you liked it, other than the length.

Thanks for confirming that I am not totally incapable of this. It is my first build/purchase of AR and it is more complicated than I wouid have thought to put together a decent gun for a reasonable price without going overboard.

Did you get a light weight, ss or other version? what did you do for handguards?

I ordered it (government config barrel) with no handguards, because they're set up to sell you currently stocked items via the web. Little or no phone interaction. They're great at responding to emails though. Their phone message says they've moved everyone to the 'back end' to help get shipments out and they are very quick. Mine shipped within 48 hours of ordering.

I use an ACE ARFX stock and am very pleased with it. My lower is a DPMS with DPMS LPK.

I'm really happy with the quality of the BCM build, including the Compensator pinning and welding at the last minute.

My plan, short term is to put on Magul MOE mid-length handguards. Those will hold me until I can scrape up more money for Daniel Defense Omega 9" rails. I could have ordered the same gun with the DD guards, but this got me going for less scratch, and I really like the looks of the Magpuls. If they work out great, I may even keep them on.

Good luck with yours. You won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
If it's not loud, it's not an effective comp.

[angry2]

I HATE loud comps/breaks. And does a rifle chambered in 5.56x45 REALLY need an "effective" compensator?

This is probably the worst thing about the stupid AWB....not fixed stocks, not grinding off bayo lugs....having to stand next to people on the range with those frigging muzzle brakes.

Back
Top Bottom