AR15 in Massachusetts

[angry2]

I HATE loud comps/breaks. And does a rifle chambered in 5.56x45 REALLY need an "effective" compensator?

This is probably the worst thing about the stupid AWB....not fixed stocks, not grinding off bayo lugs....having to stand next to people on the range with those frigging muzzle brakes.
Depends on the game you want to play.

14.5, with a mid length gas system. I'd just suck it up and go with the FSC556. I was stupid, accidentally bought a flash hider for 30 bucks, had it pinned for another 30, and then had to cut it off and pay another 60 for a cheap comp and have that pinned. Should have just started with the FSC556, and it hides flash pretty well from what I hear, while still being MA compliant.

I started out with full length hand guards on mine and traded them with a buddy for his specter length ones. I'd rather have that weight up front be from my light, not my forearm. I do wish they made something about 1/2 inch longer than the specter so it fully covered the gas block, but I like my rifle.

59310_1436668036696_1232820190_31211724_1754650_n.jpg

I've since swapped out the butt stock

Mike

You don't look much like a Mike. What sights are on there?

So, did you end up making the new one shorter, or longer? Glad to hear you liked it, other than the length.

Shorter. Here is my take on the ACE stock. It is a great stock. For the same price you can get a great collapsible stock. Adjust it, and pin it. If you move, pop out the pin. If the law is ever repealed pull out the pin. If you need to adjust it, and don't want to break any laws, pull off the upper, pull out the pin, adjust it, put the pin back in at a new location.

That's my girlfriend, but best pic I have of the rifle. I have a YHM partially hooded flip up front gas block mounted as far front as I could get it, and I have a MI rear flip up sight that I got a good price on. The optic is an Eotech 512.

Mike

Last edited:
[angry2]

I HATE loud comps/breaks. And does a rifle chambered in 5.56x45 REALLY need an "effective" compensator?

This is probably the worst thing about the stupid AWB....not fixed stocks, not grinding off bayo lugs....having to stand next to people on the range with those frigging muzzle brakes.

Oh No guns are loud. Do AR need them.. nope no gun does, are the faster to shoot with one... yep.

Shorter. Here is my take on the ACE stock. It is a great stock. For the same price you can get a great collapsible stock. Adjust it, and pin it. If you move, pop out the pin. If the law is ever repealed pull out the pin. If you need to adjust it, and don't want to break any laws, pull off the upper, pull out the pin, adjust it, put the pin back in at a new location.
Mike

But you have to use a carbine buffer and spring. I have found rifle length to be smoother. If you need a shorter stock, then you have to go carbine. but why compromise if you don't have to

That's my girlfriend, but best pic I have of the rifle. I have a YHM partially hooded flip up front gas block mounted as far front as I could get it, and I have a MI rear flip up sight that I got a good price on. The optic is an Eotech 512.

Mike

Thanks Mike. Yeah, I was also thinking along the lines of what you just described as well, with regard to just getting an adjustable. A lot of companies pin them to ship to ban states like ours, but my issue with that is not knowing what would actually be the best position for me if ordering it pinned. I guess, like you said, though, there is nothing preventing a change of position later, should I not like the feel. The other option that I am still considering is to just get a pre-ban lower, so I don't have to deal with the b.s. neutering. At first, I was sure that was the way to go, but after more thought, the adjustable stock is really the only ban feature that I care about anyway, so I'm thinking it may not be worth the added premium you have to pay for a used, pre-ban lower, when there are so many nice new ones available now.

Oh No guns are loud. Do AR need them.. nope no gun does, are they faster to shoot with one... yep.

Yes, I know guns are loud. But some of these brakes for ARs are just stupidly obnoxious.

I shoot my AR without earpro on, and it never hurts. I've been next to a comp'd AR with plugs and muffs on, and it felt like my ears were going to bleed. I know at least one member here who has tinnitus, specifically rising from standing next to someone with a comp'd AR.

And maybe it's because I'm not some super HSLD operator, but I've never had an issue firing my AR as fast as I could, and keeping it on target, without a brake. I just don't see the need, I guess.

REALLY complaining about the noise of a brake?? I've NEVER had a complaint with my FSC556. In fact, I took two new shooters to the range this weekend (both female mind you) and NEITHER of them complained when they were standing next to me shooting it and they were just wearing muffs. Is it louder than a regular flash hider? Yes, but not to the point where OMG MY EARS ARE GOING TO BLEED AND I MIGHT GO DEAF!

REALLY complaining about the noise of a brake?? I've NEVER had a complaint with my FSC556. In fact, I took two new shooters to the range this weekend (both female mind you) and NEITHER of them complained when they were standing next to me shooting it and they were just wearing muffs. Is it louder than a regular flash hider? Yes, but not to the point where OMG MY EARS ARE GOING TO BLEED AND I MIGHT GO DEAF!

Good for you. That doesn't change the fact that there are brakes out there that ARE loud enough that it has been painful with doubled up earpro on, and like I said -- there's atleast one member here with tinnitus, due to a muzzle brake.

And maybe it's because I'm not some super HSLD operator, but I've never had an issue firing my AR as fast as I could, and keeping it on target, without a brake. I just don't see the need, I guess.

Come to a rifle match and see if your idea of fast is actually fast. I thought I was fast until the first time I saw 38supermatt shoot. I quickly realized I was not.

would I run a SJC brake at a carbine class? No, getting pounded in the face by the percussion gets old fast. You are there to learn, not win. But for a match. F the RO, I'm there to win

Last edited:
Good for you. That doesn't change the fact that there are brakes out there that ARE loud enough that it has been painful with doubled up earpro on, and like I said -- there's atleast one member here with tinnitus, due to a muzzle brake.

I'd like to know what brake and what caliber its being fired out of. I've been through them all, the FSC556, Vortex, Battle Comp, Rainier Arms...and those are all supposedly some of the loudest. Not trying to diss you just genuinely wondering. The follow up shots with a brake on it will be faster than a standard A2 hider as it keeps the barrel down. (Even better with a midlength 14.5" :p)

Last edited:
I'd like to know what brake and what caliber its being fired out of. I've been through them all, the FSC556, Vortex, Battle Comp, Rainier Arms...and those are all supposedly some of the loudest. Not trying to diss you just genuinely wondering. The follow up shots with a brake on it will be faster than a standard A2 hider as it keeps the barrel down.

5.56, not sure which brake....as I just moved away. It was on a 14.5/16" gun. I *think* the tinnitus was related to an AK74-style brake on a 5.56 AR.

But you have to use a carbine buffer and spring. I have found rifle length to be smoother. If you need a shorter stock, then you have to go carbine. but why compromise if you don't have to

I honestly haven't noticed a difference with the felt recoil, though that is more attributable to the mid length gas system. And I'll take an LOP I am more comfortable with than a slightly softer recoil any day of the week.

I originally got it with the ACE because I didn't want a "fake" collapsible stock, but I realized I preferred the ability to pin it at a set length, and adjust it to my liking. Even in the winter the pin can be removed, and the stock brought in a click or two for my jacket. Same goes for shooting with body armor. Also, when I move, or when the law gets repealed, whichever comes first, I'm all set.

On the subject of tinnitus, I didn't know one incident could spark it, I thought it was generally related to prolonged exposure to loud sounds.

Mike

Last edited:
Except you can get a good free float rail setup if that is what you are looking for for under or around 100 bucks.

Mike

Sure, but if you are building a basic carbine and don't need the rails, why add the weight or cost? I have a MOE carbine that I really like to shoot, and I have a few free floated uppers. One has nothing on it, and one has a AFG, I went FF with a long rail because I like getting my hand further out in front, it's all preference. In hindsight, I would have rather gone either MOE midlength, or a tube like a JP or Troy/VTAC. I don't have lasers and 5 tac lights hanging off my rifles.

Most expensive part of these guns is realizing the crap you just bought doesn't work for you.

Last edited:
I agree, and I am a fan of those modular tubes they are selling now. I can also sympathize with wanting to save some weight. My "go to" rifle isn't the lightest thing in the world, but it could be much worse.

Mike

Sure, but if you are building a basic carbine and don't need the rails, why add the weight or cost? I have a MOE carbine that I really like to shoot, and I have a few free floated uppers. One has nothing on it, and one has a AFG, I went FF with a long rail because I like getting my hand further out in front, it's all preference. In hindsight, I would have rather gone either MOE midlength, or a tube like a JP or Troy/VTAC. I don't have lasers and 5 tac lights hanging off my rifles.

Most expensive part of these guns is realizing the crap you just bought doesn't work for you.

I'm hoping Firebird makes some more XL handguards, they are bad ass.

Attachments

• FB_Hand_Guards_red.jpg
    FB_Hand_Guards_red.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 26
...On the subject of tinnitus, I didn't know one incident could spark it, I thought it was generally related to prolonged exposure to loud sounds.

Mike

For example...

- Lots of rock concerts
- Mowing the lawn
- Using power tools
- Work related noise (factory machinery, etc.)
etc. (i.e. lots of causes in addition to firearms)

and then there's the impact of some medications.

Damn those things look like works of art -- how much did/do they go for and where can I bookmark to sign up for if they're available again? lol

Please help Supermoto!

Damn those things look like works of art -- how much did/do they go for and where can I bookmark to sign up for if they're available again? lol

Please help Supermoto!

Here's a web site, but none of the links work. I wonder if they're still in business.

Here's a web site, but none of the links work. I wonder if they're still in business.

They are still in business, they are a very small 2 person operation, and I think the website was done by their son or son inlaw, The best way is to call them as they live out in the middle of nowhere and the internet doesn't always work. Firebird stuff is awesome. I have a good amount of their stuff as do a few other local shooters.

Back
Top Bottom