• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR welcome range

So are ARs and AKs next path of deliberate discrimination by ranges and clubs to ball suck unconstitutional government dictates?

A .223 AR15 is not a high powerd rifle. It is a fast round, but... Not "high power".

Most ranges I have been near and clubs consider it alongside a pistol round for trappment and design of the backstops.
I think I disagree with that assessment. 223 will destroy a backstop designed for 9mm, 44acp, etc. Anything that will take a 223 will take a 30-06.

I think I disagree with that assessment. 223 will destroy a backstop designed for 9mm, 44acp, etc. Anything that will take a 223 will take a 30-06.
I agree with you too! I'm just pointing out that ... Of the last 10 indoor ranges I have been to, 5.56 has been good to go, but 7.62 NATO and 7.62x54R , and most .30 derivitave and up rifle rounds were not.

I thin 3/10 allowed 7.62x39.

I am a member at MFS but that's handguns only, (technically handgun ammo only).
I guess my main issue with the sponsorship route is that it is way more of a timely hassle than what I was introduced to. On any given day of the month I can go to MFS, join and pay and voila, I'm a member and I can begin shooting right then. Sponsorships into clubs seems to be a one night out-of-the-month shot. My second issue is that, given that I'm not much of a "mingler", it appears to be a daunting task for me, (in reality it may not be, but that's just how I see it). Think about it, I'm to drive over to some clubhouse at night and enter into a roomful of people I have never met and then begin mingling with them hoping somebody will take me up as their sponsor. I'm a guy that keeps very busy with pretty cool things that I create and manufacture, but I enjoy my alone time so I guess I'm an introvert.
For guys like me I like the MFS way when I want to shoot. If they only had a rifle range.
Well, you asked for how to shoot your AR, and the way it is, is the way it is.

If you're not a mingler, then you can either learn to mingle a bit, and get what you want, or not.

If you show up at most clubs, mine included, during daylight hours when Trap or Skeet is going on, you'll find out what's needed. Feel free to PM me.

Good luck, either way.

We would welcome you at Maynard Rod & Gun. Lots to do, and friendly folks. No sponsorship needed. Just come to monthly EBoard meeting at 7pm to meet the club Officers with application filled out and you will be good to go. Meetings are 2nd Monday of each month . Must have a valid Firearms Lic. Check out club website for details, or feel free to PM me.

I agree with you too! I'm just pointing out that ... Of the last 10 indoor ranges I have been to, 5.56 has been good to go, but 7.62 NATO and 7.62x54R , and most .30 derivitave and up rifle rounds were not.

I thin 3/10 allowed 7.62x39.
Bullet velocity is the limiting factor with steel targets and steel backstops.

Thanks for the Attleboro idea.
Not complaining. Just asked if there were rifle ranges nearby that I could join without the hassle of requiring sponsorship.

There is no hassle at a lot of clubs. The only hassle right now is a lot of clubs are not holding meetings or doing it virtually because covid BS.

More often than not at the more laid back clubs if you just show up and express interest and you dont seem like a dick, someone else in the "room" will likely
sponsor you to help get you in the club.

I had no idea there were clubs that did not allow ARs???? I must live a sheltered life LOL. The two clubs I belong to are very enthusiastic about all semiautomatic rifles.

Can you say, frangibles?

Attachments

• .303BritFrang..jpg
    .303BritFrang..jpg
    590.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 1891x2.jpg
    1891x2.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1363.JPG
    IMG_1363.JPG
    617.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 308Win_zps215a7a11.jpg
    308Win_zps215a7a11.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 5
A .223 AR15 is not a high powerd rifle. It is a fast round, but... Not "high power".

Most ranges I have been near and clubs consider it alongside a pistol round for trappment and design of the backstops.

It is is as far as indoor ranges are concerned. A lot of clubs will spring for a full capability backstop that can handle pistol rounds, but won't pay the radically increased cost for a
rifle backstop. Most of the clubs where you can actually shoot rifles indoors usually literally have backstops inside the building made out of mounds of dirt with shredded rubber chunks on top of it.
Can you say, frangibles?

Lol good luck with that, a friend of mine who used to live in MA had to engage in a 3 month battle at one club to even get them to allow him to use .357 Sig frangible on an indoor range on the clubs "new' backstop which the fudd management was like "oh only 1000 fps or less blah blah" he literally had to do a dog and pony show with one of the club officers on the range to show them that frangible ammo would not damage the bullet trap baffles.

And, as somebody mentioned in another related thread, sponsor required clubs are basically not an option now as there's no in-person meetings because of the China virus.

You can go to any club on a weekend morning, shoot a round or two of public trap/skeet, demonstrate to the guys you're safe and not a weirdo, and have a sponsor right then and there. It's like an hour of time investment with the payoff of getting membership in a good club not a shitty indoor range.

Lol good luck with that, a friend of mine who used to live in MA had to engage in a 3 month battle at one club to even get them to allow him to use .357 Sig frangible on an indoor range on the clubs "new' backstop which the fudd management was like "oh only 1000 fps or less blah blah" he literally had to do a dog and pony show with one of the club officers on the range to show them that frangible ammo would not damage the bullet trap baffles.

Yes, I hear you. There is a lot of resistance to change. I can see where it would be a headache insuring that everyone sticks to frangibles in their .308, as well.
Easier just to say no.

What's the problem with Frangible ammo? Wouldn't the club benefit from them with almost the no damage to targets they cause?
The biggest problem with allowing something like frangible rifle ammo on ranges rated for pistol ammo is that there’s no way to police it without full-time RSO’s. Monkey see, monkey do is why exceptions to range rules and regulations can’t be granted in almost all cases, and the consequences can be deadly. Rules are written to keep the lowest common denominator (unsupervised) from hurting anyone or club property.

The biggest problem with allowing something like frangible rifle ammo on ranges rated for pistol ammo is that there’s no way to police it without full-time RSO’s. Monkey see, monkey do is why exceptions to range rules and regulations can’t be granted in almost all cases, and the consequences can be deadly. Rules are written to keep the lowest common denominator (unsupervised) from hurting anyone or club property.
But what is dangerous about it? I thought i read it's just a much softer projectile..

But what is dangerous about it? I thought i read it's just a much softer projectile..
The danger is that someone will witness someone shooting an AR with frangible on the range in question and not consult the rules or investigate the narrow circumstances where it is allowed. Next visit to the range, they blast 100 rounds of FMJ or worse through the backstop and who know what else before they figure out what’s happening or someone stops them.

The danger is making narrow exceptions to the rules, not in frangible projectiles. You can have broad, far reaching range rules, or you can have full-time RSO’s constantly looking over your shoulder. Your choice.

What's the problem with Frangible ammo? Wouldn't the club benefit from them with almost the no damage to targets they cause?
The problem with frangible ammo, is that not everyone uses it. If Joe Bagadonuts is using frangible in an otherwise verboten chambering, they'll say, "Hey, I guess I can use it, too!" and use ball ammo.

So are ARs and AKs next path of deliberate discrimination by ranges and clubs to ball suck unconstitutional government dictates?

I had no idea there were clubs that did not allow ARs???? I must live a sheltered life LOL. The two clubs I belong to are very enthusiastic about all semiautomatic rifles.

JFC its about PHYSICS NOT POLITICS! Pistol ranges are typically not suitable for rifles other than 22lr and maybe a 9mm carbine. Many pistol ranges won't allow magnum rounds because the backstop will get too torn up. Not to mention the typical indoor pistol range is like 50 feet which is a pointless distance for rifle shooting.

As others have pointed out, it's physics, not politics. Before you start yelling about "discrimination" against Black Rifles, reach out to the appropriate Committees at your club, and see what they have to deal with. Range repairs are expensive. People that abuse the equipment be it with off-target shooting (I'm out of targets, let's use the frame!) , or stuff that can chew up the steel plates can be a big problem.

I've shot the 42gr frangibles in .223 Remington on 1" steel (no idea what alloy/hardness) from about 6" and they made a decent crater in the metal. The 105 gr pictured below in 7.65 Argentine (not loaded at maximum) slap the steel with authority, but only leave a copper mark. Pretty much the same with the Inceptor SRR and 110gr frangible (.308" dia.).

Attachments

• 310DiaFrangibleBigger.jpg
    310DiaFrangibleBigger.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 2
  • 90g311.jpg
    90g311.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 42_Gr_Frangible.jpg
    42_Gr_Frangible.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I've shot the 42gr frangibles in .223 Remington on 1" steel (no idea what alloy/hardness) from about 6" and they made a decent crater in the metal. The 105 gr pictured below in 7.65 Argentine (not loaded at maximum) slap the steel with authority, but only leave a copper mark. Pretty much the same with the Inceptor SRR and 110gr frangible.
You shot into a steel plate from a distance of 6 inches? Please tell me that was a typo or I didn't read it right.

Last edited:
Yes. about six inches or less.
Handgun , 223 and 7.62x39mm aren't a problem point blank. I would stay back a few feet with .308 and other larger calibers; more so to keep splatter of jacketing material or other plate debris from coming back at you (not the frangible bullet).
You've never watched the Sinterfire video, I assume...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh3QAvy1_uo

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A48OisynBNM

Ok, I guess you did.
My next question is why?

I want to hit the x-ring. No, just to know the characteristics of the bullet.
Will you ever be shooting this close in most real-life scenarios, probably not.
I'm not advocating that you hold point-blank plate shoots at your club.

Are there outdoor ranges that won't let you shoot AR's? Not too many mosquitoes this time of year...

Back
Top Bottom