• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR welcome range

Hi All
I live in Holliston, MA and I am looking for a rifle range that allows AR's.
All the ranges I've found either don't allow high powered rifles or they require a sponsor to get in.
Does anybody know of an AR friendly range in the MetroWest area that I can just join without the sponsor hassle so that I can just shoot my rifles?
Regards,
Jim

And, as somebody mentioned in another related thread, sponsor required clubs are basically not an option now as there's no in-person meetings because of the China virus.

And, as somebody mentioned in another related thread, sponsor required clubs are basically not an option now as there's no in-person meetings because of the China virus.
Not my club. They’re still meeting and bringing in new members. But I’m up on the north shore. Not close to you.

Hi All
All the ranges I've found either don't allow high powered rifles or they require a sponsor to get in.
Does anybody know of an AR friendly range in the MetroWest area that I can just join without the sponsor hassle so that I can just shoot my rifles?
Regards,
Jim
A .223 AR15 is not a high powerd rifle. It is a fast round, but... Not "high power".

Most ranges I have been near and clubs consider it alongside a pistol round for trappment and design of the backstops.

Braintree Rifle and Pistol. Dont need a sponsor but you have to jump thorough some hoops to become a member.
Huh? If they are currently accepting new members (due to CV-19), all BR&P ever required was a LTC and attending an orientation held on specific Sunday mornings. [I was a 20 yr member and only left due to buying a house in NH.] www.brp.org

Mansfield F&G is accepting new members every month and attending (virtually or in person) the BOD meeting and members meeting suffices instead of a sponsor. www.mansfieldfish.com

What hoops? I went to an orientation a few years ago signed a check and I became a member.
There is no indoor for 223/556 though.
I'm a member too. And yes, the 'hoops' are not onerous ($200 Fee for the orientation and the next available session is in April). The trick now will be getting into an orientation.

I also live in Holliston. I think the main issue you’re going to run into is that very few of the surrounding clubs are open to the public without membership. Closest options (depending on what side of town you live on) are probably Southborough, Maspenock, and Hopkinton (all of which require membership). I’m a member at Grafton Fish & Game; it’s about a 20-25 minute ride for and worth the trip for personal reasons (family in Grafton that I shoot with)

Hi All
Regards,
Jim
I would say you’re all set at any range in the state with the exception of Danvers fish and game......

Harvard Sportsman's Club has their full-auto 'Flak Alley' range and are definitely taking new members.
The Harvard Sportsmen’s Club welcomes new members and encourages participation in our club and the outdoor sports.
Prospective Members require sponsorship by a current HSC member. The Sponsor is required to write letter (outlined below) and attend one of the monthly membership meetings, by invitation, with the Prospective Member where the Sponsor will introduce the Prospective Member to the club membership.

I also live in Holliston. I think the main issue you’re going to run into is that very few of the surrounding clubs are open to the public without membership. Closest options (depending on what side of town you live on) are probably Southborough, Maspenock, and Hopkinton (all of which require membership). I’m a member at Grafton Fish & Game; it’s about a 20-25 minute ride for and worth the trip for personal reasons (family in Grafton that I shoot with)
Land of rocks and holly, lol

Mansfield F&G is bringing in 10-15 new members per month, Independent in Foxboro is bringing in several new members per month too. Pretty sure most clubs have figure out Zoom meetings.

OP: What's your issue with "sponsorship"?

There are commercial places (MFS) that you can pay to shoot at. Then, there are Clubs, that are, pretty much by definition, for members only. If you're letting someone into your Club, then the club people, and the prospective member should get to know one another, a bit. That's what the sponsorships are for. It's not like the Spanish Inquisition.

If you're interested in www.southboroughrodandgun.com , shoot me a PM and I can give you some info. The other Clubs mentioned above are fine places, too, but if you look at my sig, you'll see why I recommend SRGC [laugh]

Covid has changed some things, but we're still accepting new folks, AFAIK.

If you're in DPRM, and you want to shoot, you pretty much need to join a club, especially within 495.

OP: What's your issue with "sponsorship"?

There are commercial places (MFS) that you can pay to shoot at. Then, there are Clubs, that are, pretty much by definition, for members only. If you're letting someone into your Club, then the club people, and the prospective member should get to know one another, a bit. That's what the sponsorships are for. It's not like the Spanish Inquisition.

If you're interested in www.southboroughrodandgun.com , shoot me a PM and I can give you some info. The other Clubs mentioned above are fine places, too, but if you look at my sig, you'll see why I recommend SRGC [laugh]

Covid has changed some things, but we're still accepting new folks, AFAIK.

If you're in DPRM, and you want to shoot, you pretty much need to join a club, especially within 495.
I am a member at MFS but that's handguns only, (technically handgun ammo only).
I guess my main issue with the sponsorship route is that it is way more of a timely hassle than what I was introduced to. On any given day of the month I can go to MFS, join and pay and voila, I'm a member and I can begin shooting right then. Sponsorships into clubs seems to be a one night out-of-the-month shot. My second issue is that, given that I'm not much of a "mingler", it appears to be a daunting task for me, (in reality it may not be, but that's just how I see it). Think about it, I'm to drive over to some clubhouse at night and enter into a roomful of people I have never met and then begin mingling with them hoping somebody will take me up as their sponsor. I'm a guy that keeps very busy with pretty cool things that I create and manufacture, but I enjoy my alone time so I guess I'm an introvert.
For guys like me I like the MFS way when I want to shoot. If they only had a rifle range.

I guess my main issue with the sponsorship route is that it is way more of a timely hassle than what I was introduced to. On any given day of the month I can go to MFS, join and pay and voila, I'm a member and I can begin shooting right then. Sponsorships into clubs seems to be a one night out-of-the-month shot. My second issue is that, given that I'm not much of a "mingler", it appears to be a daunting task for me, (in reality it may not be, but that's just how I see it). Think about it, I'm to drive over to some clubhouse at night and enter into a roomful of people I have never met and then begin mingling with them hoping somebody will take me up as their sponsor. I'm a guy that keeps very busy with pretty cool things that I create and manufacture, but I enjoy my alone time so I guess I'm an introvert.
For guys like me I like the MFS way when I want to shoot. If they only had a rifle range.
Then go to AFS in North Attleboro, same deal as MFS except you can shoot your rifle on a 25 yard indoor range. Otherwise you can continue to complain about the process to join a club where you can shoot your rifle outdoors.

Then go to AFS in North Attleboro, same deal as MFS except you can shoot your rifle on a 25 yard indoor range. Otherwise you can continue to complain about the process to join a club where you can shoot your rifle outdoors.
Thanks for the Attleboro idea.
Not complaining. Just asked if there were rifle ranges nearby that I could join without the hassle of requiring sponsorship.

I know that there are plenty of folks in the gun world that never want to talk to anyone or see anyone while they enjoy their hobby. Then there are those of us who enjoy meeting other people and perhaps learning enough to do business with them in the future. I'm one of the latter and thru that at Mansfield F&G, I met an excellent plumber, carpenter and plasterer all of whom I hired when I had a need for their services.

Here's a rundown of what is involved in becoming a member of the two clubs I belonged to in MA (I'm still a member at Mansfield):

- Braintree R&P (this is pre-COVID) - Fill out an online form and get your online invite to an orientation session (no sponsor is required). Attend the orientation session on the assigned Sunday morning and get your badge. You never have to show up for anything ever again.

- Mansfield F&G (this is current) - Fill out the forms (they are online). If you have a sponsor, you only have to show up at a members meeting (can be online or in-person, your choice), then attend an orientation session, get your badge and done. If you don't have a sponsor, you must attend (can be online or in-person, your choice) a BOD meeting and the BOD becomes your sponsor, then attend a members meeting and the subsequent orientation. You never have to show up for anything ever again.

If you find this distasteful or onerous, then in Eastern MA your only option is a "pay as you go" commercial range and AFAIK they are all indoors only, so you can't stretch out your rifle. Also, this route is much more expensive than joining a club (which typically cost $100-150/yr after the 1st year).

I have a small private range, nothing elaborate at only 40 yards, but I do open it via invitation for limited shooting.
It will not be your club/range solution, but you can get some trigger time.
Ideally, come and brew some hand loads at my bench, then step outside to test-fire.
I really doubt many will want to travel from MA/NH to do a little shooting.
Club membership has its privileges...

I agree with the sponsorship thing as well. Really don't want some stranger walking on and shooting ARs that no one has atleast shot with for a few mins to make sure they have some kind of gun safety knowledge..

Back
Top Bottom