AR- Trigger

Hello All,

Since the Ammo is still full Tard, was thinking of changing factory trigger in my S&W M&P AR-15 ORC. Stat sheet says 7-10 lbs now, and a little gritty. Would like your suggestions for a do it your self trigger, but not looking to break the bank.

Not into competition, but crisp, lighter trigger for 50-300 yard shots. I did the Apex kit for my Shield, so pretty handy and have plenty of speciality tools.

Links, or websites are welcome as well. What are you guys using that are building your own AR's?

Thanks for the help/suggestions.

GO BRUINS

A good trigger is a Rock River 2 stage wont break the bank , a great trigger is a Geissele but you're going to spend a mint for that. either is better than stock.

You could lap the hammer and trigger contact points to smooth the trigger (if needed). Get the JP Enterprises spring set (about $12 plus shipping) to really make the pull lighter. If you're planning on feeding it 5.56 NATO ammo too, you might need to lighten the hammer up some (there's info out there on that part). You also have the option of doing the "50 cent trigger job" with a 1/4-28 x 3/8" set screw and a 1/4-28 x 3/4" grip screw (replacing the original screw) to remove almost all of the take-up/travel in the trigger.

All of that should run you less than $20.

A good trigger is a Rock River 2 stage wont break the bank , a great trigger is a Geissele but you're going to spend a mint for that. either is better than stock.

I've got Geissele's in my AR-15 and my LR-308 and I can't say enough good things about them. Smooth, crisp break and a relatively light pull at 3.5lb. Install is a snap if you've ever done an AR trigger or can RTFM.

Here's the one in my LR-308: Geissele Super Dynamic Trigger Enhanced Version AR-15 LR-308 Small Pin

Here's what's on my S&W M&P15T: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/66...er-ar-15-lr-308-small-pin-154-two-stage-matte

Last edited:
I've got Geissele's in my AR-15 and my LR-308 and I can't say enough good things about them. Smooth, crisp break and a relatively light pull at 3.5lb. Install is a snap if you've ever done an AR trigger or can RTFM.

The Geissele SSA is on my short list for my AR this summer/fall when I find the extra $ - have heard nothing but awesome reviews and comments about them.

I put a Geissele (pronounced Guys-Lee) SSA trigger in my AR.

It's awesome. two and a half pounds, then a bit of take-up, then it breaks like glass with two pound pull. Smooth, and leads to really accurate shooting, and five-shot 100 yard groups like this.

best_5shot_group_55Zmax100yd.jpg

NES YHM stripped lower
DPMS LPK - trigger group
Geissele SSA trigger
RRA Predator Pursuit complete upper (20" SS NM bbl. 1:8 twist. .223 Wylde chamber)
RRA scope mount
Nikon M-223 3-12x42 scope
ar15_3.jpg

Last edited:
Quality drop in triggers are expensive, but very easy to install. My Timney took ten minutes, and I'm sure could be done in less time by someone with less fumbly fingers. It is a fantastic trigger in all respects.

Gissele, Timney, AR Gold, JP, Jewell, Wilson TTU and many others. I have Timneys -- 3lb and tactical 4lb.

I love my Wilson TTU 3G. Would very much like to grab more for all my builds, but it's not cheap. Think I'm going to try some JP springs and a basic trigger and hammer see how that works out

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

On the cheap...

15 Minute Practical Trigger Job for the AR-15

It's adequate, but by no means up to match/competition standards.

Easy to switch back to factory if you don't like it.

I have one on one of my RRA's... nice little trigger without spending more than is really necessary.

I have the american trigger company AR gold it is amazing! not only is it a very simple drop in install but it has the shortest reset of any trigger I've ever used, if you tried it you'd buy it, a friend of mine has the gisselle trigger which is also very nice but has a much longer reset both run around $250+

I picked up one of these for my M&P 15 since I didn't see the need for the SSA, but wanted to get something decent:
https://www.armsunlimited.com/Geissele-G2S-2-Stage-Semi-Automatic-Rifle-Trigger-p/g2s.htm

I like it a whole lot more that the factory trigger, and it's definitely more accurate now. I've never used the SSA trigger so I'm not sure how much it compares, but I think it was worth the money. I plan on buying a SSA for the .308 AR I'm building, so I'll be able to see how much of a difference there is once I get that completed.

"You could lap the hammer and trigger contact points to smooth the trigger (if needed). Get the JP Enterprises spring set (about $12 plus shipping) to really make the pull lighter. If you're planning on feeding it 5.56 NATO ammo too, you might need to lighten the hammer up some (there's info out there on that part). You also have the option of doing the "50 cent trigger job" with a 1/4-28 x 3/8" set screw and a 1/4-28 x 3/4" grip screw (replacing the original screw) to remove almost all of the take-up/travel in the trigger.

All of that should run you less than $20."

+1 on this

Did all this last week on mine. It took a couple of hours, a trip to the hardware, and auto parts store for set screws and sandpaper. For under $20 I have went from a vague 7.5 lb trigger to a 5 lb with much shorter take-up and smooth, crisp break. All without the new spring kit. I also have a much better understanding of how the rifle works.

If you want extreme durability, I suggest ARGold. Todd Hodnett, from Accuracy 1st, was using Gissele and had several breakages. He switched to AR Gold and never looked back. I just switched mine over

If you want extreme durability, I suggest ARGold. Todd Hodnett, from Accuracy 1st, was using Gissele and had several breakages. He switched to AR Gold and never looked back. I just switched mine over

Out of curiosity how did they break?

You could lap the hammer and trigger contact points to smooth the trigger (if needed). Get the JP Enterprises spring set (about $12 plus shipping) to really make the pull lighter. If you're planning on feeding it 5.56 NATO ammo too, you might need to lighten the hammer up some (there's info out there on that part). You also have the option of doing the "50 cent trigger job" with a 1/4-28 x 3/8" set screw and a 1/4-28 x 3/4" grip screw (replacing the original screw) to remove almost all of the take-up/travel in the trigger.

All of that should run you less than $20.

+1 on the J&P spring set 3.5 lbs and very simple to do

Another SSA fan here. It definitely spoils you though, and makes it so you can never settle for a standard mil-spec trigger again!

I've put a Geissele SD3G , Super dynamic 3 Gun. A single stage , flat trigger with a scary short break and re-set.

The BCG going into battery is enough weight to bump fire if one doesn't keep solid trigger pull and reset discipline.

Kinda startling while one sorts that out.

Quality drop in triggers are expensive, but very easy to install. My Timney took ten minutes, and I'm sure could be done in less time by someone with less fumbly fingers. It is a fantastic trigger in all respects.

I agree I have replaced all of my AR triggers with Timney triggers. Smooth , crisp and very easy to install. Remove the two pins that hold the trigger group in, out falls all of the original parts, then drop in the one piece trigger and install the new pins and lock rings supplied with the kit. DONE.
Also look for sales on Midway USA and other major parts manufactures.

Back
Top Bottom