AR Lower recievers over state lines?

wiskie762

Instructor
Yesterday i was in Rileys, They had four striped lower recievers and i went to buy one. The guy behind the counter said he could not sell it to me because it was not a rifle or a pistol. is this something new that you cant buy recievers over state lines.

Yesterday i was in Rileys, They had four striped lower recievers and i went to buy one. The guy behind the counter said he could not sell it to me because it was not a rifle or a pistol. is this something new that you cant buy recievers over state lines.

ETA: (inaccurate info deleted- insert foot firmly in mouth.... ) [laugh]

Last edited:
Riley's wouldn't do a transfer for me either a few weeks back (NH resident to me a MA resident) of a stripped lower. They said a stripped lower receiver is not a "pistol" or "rifle" but is an "other" and they can't sell an "other" on form 4473 to an out of state resident.

I believe for a lower to be built up as a pistol, the lower has to have been logged into the manufacturer's bound book as a pistol? So says the product lit on the website of the shop that must not be named (from the NES AR group buy).

If that is so, either the shop had paperwork proving the lower was a pistol, or the lower was definitely for a rifle, or the shop that must not be named has wrong info on their website.

I could believe any of the three...

The FFL is right, guys. We had this question a few weeks ago and it threw me too. With the new 4473 form issued last October, you select 'Other Firearm' for question 18 when transferring just a lower. 'Other Firearms' are not transferable to non-residents like rifles and shotguns are. The other ridiculous implication now is that nobody under 21 can buy a lower receiver from an FFL, even though they can potentially buy the whole rifle.

Last edited:
A few months ago BATFE notified all dealers, that an AR lower receiver was to be considered as a handgun and not as a rifle.

ATF now officially considers them 'Other Firearms', which means they are not long guns or handguns. But they effectively have all the restrictions of handguns because of the way the GCA is written- restricting all firearms and then loosening the restrictions in a few places for only rifles and shotguns.

Jdubois-

Thanks for the info on this... I was completely unaware of this change.

IMHO it's BS, the dealer should be able to declare the lower one way
or the other... but if the "church of batfe" says "this is the rule" then I guess
we don't have much choice but to "obey" [sad2]

-Mike

but if the "church of batfe" says "this is the rule" then I guess we don't have much choice but to "obey" [sad2]

Yup, annoys the hell out of me too, as they just took it upon themselves to up and change the way it's worked for a long time. And here I thought they were tasked with enforcement, not legislating...

Yup, annoys the hell out of me too, as they just took it upon themselves to up and change the way it's worked for a long time. And here I thought they were tasked with enforcement, not legislating...

An interesting side thought about this...

With this change, this effectively means that someone under 21 cannot buy a stripped lower- if the dealers are going to start treating every lower as a "potential" pistol..... Seems like incrementalist crap to try to reduce the number of stripped lowers sold. [puke]

-Mike

Next time, bring a buffer tube, stock, and upper receiver, turn it into a rifle, and then buy it, since once its a rifle, it can't be a pistol. [wink]

I don't think the LPK matters... once it has that rifle barrel and a stock, I think it's a rifle forever.

Without an LPK, is it really a rifle?

"Rifle. A weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder, and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger."

If your going to say that a stock makes it "intended to be fired from the shoulder" than I'd say lack of an LPK makes it NOT "made [...] to use the energy of the explosive [...] to fire [...] a [...] projectile"

In case anyone had not seen it already there is an article in the recent American Rifleman that explains the new form and goes in to the receiver topic.

Back
Top Bottom