AR lower receivers?

My DPMS receiver has thicker walls than my S&W receiver.
The DPMS takes a commercial tube compared to the S&W which takes a milspec.

I prefer stuff milspec but the thickness of the receiver itself has me leaning towards DPMS or other brands over S&W.

i have a DPMS and a S&W for two builds i'm doing.. being a novice i'll let you know how both builds go... now if i could just find another LPK that isn't 200% overpriced...

i have a DPMS and a S&W for two builds i'm doing.. being a novice i'll let you know how both builds go... now if i could just find another LPK that isn't 200% overpriced...

Order direct from Stag. have to wait but it wouldn't be overly inflated as far as GunBroker etc is.

Also, love the stag LPK more than the RRA one, feels more 'solid' if that makes any sense.

My most recent build was on a Stag lower which I am quite impressed with. I am a Stag fan. I would buy just the lower from Stag and get the rest of theparts from Brownells.

My DPMS receiver has thicker walls than my S&W receiver.
The DPMS takes a commercial tube compared to the S&W which takes a milspec.

I prefer stuff milspec but the thickness of the receiver itself has me leaning towards DPMS or other brands over S&W.
The receiver extension (buffer tube) diameter is independent of the threading at the rear portion of receiver. A milspec receiver extension has a tube diameter of 1.146”, and has a flat back. "Commercial" receiver extensions have a tube diameter of 1.170”, and will sometimes have a slanted back. The threaded portion of both receiver extensions (and the rear of the lower) is the same (1-3/16 16 UN).

The receiver extension (buffer tube) diameter is independent of the threading at the rear portion of receiver. A milspec receiver extension has a tube diameter of 1.146”, and has a flat back. "Commercial" receiver extensions have a tube diameter of 1.170”, and will sometimes have a slanted back. The threaded portion of both receiver extensions (and the rear of the lower) is the same (1-3/16 16 UN).

I got this snipit from AR15.com's stickied FAQ

Q: What is the difference between the Mil-Spec and the Commercial Receiver Extensions ('buffer tube')? Who uses what?
A: The commercial tubes are slightly larger in diameter where the stock slides, but slightly smaller in diameter when it screws into the receiver. Either can be installed on standard lowers, with the Mil-Spec one actually having the stronger interface (more surface area of the threads engage the receiver).

Mil-Spec ( 1.148" outer diameter): Colt, LMT, CMT (Stag, S&W, CMMG), VLTOR
Commercial (1.168" outer diameter): Everyone Else (Bushmaster, RRA, DPMS, Olympic, etc.)

Another way to tell is a commercial tube is the same outside diameter as the points on the threads. A milspec size tube is smaller in diameter than the points on the threads so you can see where the threads taper down in size.

I got this snipit from AR15.com's stickied FAQ

Quote:
Q: What is the difference between the Mil-Spec and the Commercial Receiver Extensions ('buffer tube')? Who uses what?
A: The commercial tubes are slightly larger in diameter where the stock slides, but slightly smaller in diameter when it screws into the receiver. Either can be installed on standard lowers, with the Mil-Spec one actually having the stronger interface (more surface area of the threads engage the receiver).

Mil-Spec ( 1.148" outer diameter): Colt, LMT, CMT (Stag, S&W, CMMG), VLTOR
Commercial (1.168" outer diameter): Everyone Else (Bushmaster, RRA, DPMS, Olympic, etc.)

Another way to tell is a commercial tube is the same outside diameter as the points on the threads. A milspec size tube is smaller in diameter than the points on the threads so you can see where the threads taper down in size.
Correct, and not inconsistent with what I posted. Note that it says either can be installed in standard lowers. For a quick rule of thumb, you can tell commercial from milspec "by feel" if you run your hand down the tube to the threads. The threads on a milspec tube seem to "stick up" slightly, since the tube is smaller. On the commercial tube, the threads feel flush with the larger tube.

Back
Top Bottom