• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR help

So I was changing my stock pistol grip for a new Hogue overmolded I just picked up. Simple enough, took off the old, made sure not to lose my safety spring blah blah blah. I set the new grip in place and tighten the nut, and it somehow crossthreads and I strip the first couple of thread rotations in the hole. I backed it out fine, and salvaged what I could. Nut is still fine. What next?? Should I tap the hole myself or go to an expert? And could anyone recommend anyone in the North Central MA, southern NH area?

Depends on your comfort level with tapping it yourself. Personally, I'd do it myself, but I have no idea what your background is.

Think what you will but I'd tap that .............

[laugh2]

Damn!!! you lower is junk. Why don't you give it to me, so I can use it as a paper weight.[rofl]

J/K

If the threads are not too messed up (just the first few threads), all you need to do is use a tap with the same thread size a "chase" the threads. It should clean up the damaged threads & you should still have enough good thread to hold the grip in properly.

Tapping the hole is easy. I believe you need a 1/4-20 tap, available at many local hardware stores. There is also room enough to use a slightly longer screw. Just take it slow and easy.

Tapping the hole is easy. I believe you need a 1/4-20 tap, available at many local hardware stores. There is also room enough to use a slightly longer screw. Just take it slow and easy.

The screw size for the pistol grip is 1/4-28, not 1/4-20!

The screw size for the pistol grip is 1/4-28, not 1/4-20!

Sorry, my eyes are not what they used to be. Closer examination with magnifying glasses confirms Dan's correction (the writing on those taps is hard to read). I hope my mistake didn't cause any problems.

Thank you much gentlemen, I really appreciate the help. I have family friend who is a tool maker and says it should be a simple 5 minute fix but I was unsure of the thread size so extra thanks for that info. I will reward you all with a photo after the fix. Take care.

Thank you much gentlemen, I really appreciate the help. I have family friend who is a tool maker and says it should be a simple 5 minute fix but I was unsure of the thread size so extra thanks for that info. I will reward you all with a photo after the fix. Take care.

OR, take off the upper and try threading the screw from the top down.
if it isn't long enough, get a longer one and try it. You can clean it up from that direction.

If you're running a tap through and it is not a really tapered angle, run it from the top down to clean it out.

And then next time be more careful about cross threading. Nothing on these rifles should have that much friction on it so if you feel a lot of resistance, back out.

Back
Top Bottom